• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Not happy with transplant - need advice

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It does not look too bad at 4 months. It is better than I was expecting.
What do you think of it so far?

J

jaimepn

It does not look too bad at 4 months. It is better than I was expecting.
What do you think of it so far?

Obviously most of the hair we see in the pics is native (my transplant goal was to increase density), and pics do not translate well what I see in the mirror - Im worried that the transplanted hair will generate a second unnatural hairline when it grows (if it grows).
I will be posting monthly updates here.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully it does not look too bad once it grows out and if you're not happy with it, maybe another doctor can suggest a good repair for you.
I hope it works out for you.
All the best.
Bm.

J

jaimepn

6 months update to my hair transplant. 3300 grafts, all seem to be concentrated in the same area. There was some loss during this time, pieces of skin that dried off and fell out (assuming their were grafts). This is where I stand.

Looking into having my hair line rebuilt (bring transplanted area 1cm down), and topping up the crown area. Without being irresponsible / abusive to my donor area (potentially reusing some of this transplanted hair, not sure if possible).

20201229_085925.jpg

20201229_085951.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn`t look that bad right now. Have you contacted other clinics to see what they suggest?

J

jaimepn

It doesn`t look that bad right now. Have you contacted other clinics to see what they suggest?

All clinics (no matter how good their reputation is) will always say that this transplant was poorly executed and need to be fixed, and will try to push their solutions. And I always end up questioning if their feedback is honest.

My barber was the only one so far saying that I'm overthinking and the transplant is not that bad.

But it all boils down to me not being happy. If it's responsible to bring it 1cm down, I'll do it.

I'm chasing an appointment with dr K (found him on this forum) probl for February. I will only book an operation after sitting down and discussing a plan for this transplant. No more rushing. I've learned my lessons.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Have you thought about just keeping your hairline where it is and maybe having electrolysis on the hairs below your hairline? It`s just a thought I`m throwing out there.
Have you contacted clinics apart from Dr K.
No harm in getting a few and comparing them.

J

jaimepn

Have you thought about just keeping your hairline where it is and maybe having electrolysis on the hairs below your hairline? It`s just a thought I`m throwing out there.
Have you contacted clinics apart from Dr K.
No harm in getting a few and comparing them.

On electrolysis, the answer is NO. I am NOT considering it. I would only consider if an experienced dr strongly suggests that.
Reason being, Im not happy with where the transplanted hairline is. It was done way above where a natural hairline should be (and where I least needed the hair tbh).

I've contacted a few. But 3 of them are top tier clinics (based on this forum). As I said they all agree the transplant should be repaired, but most will require that we wait 1 full year post-op before discussing a treatment.
Dr K requires 6 months. He has a bunch of certifications (The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery), and he has drawn some really beautiful "imperfect" hairlines. That last bit was important.

But again, we talking doesn't mean I'm going ahead with him. If after an appointment I am not 100% happy and want a second opinion, then I'll end up waiting another 6 months. At least this is my plan.

Last edited:
JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
How old are you?

Are you taking medication such as finasteride for your hair loss?

J

jaimepn

How old are you?

Are you taking medication such as finasteride for your hair loss?
Im 37.
I tried finasteride and minoxidil. Both with awful side effects.
Then my doctor (dermatologist) recommended a hair transplant. And here we are.

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
Right, so you're 37, you've already used 3300 grafts via FUE and you want to lower your hairline and address the crown again but you're not doing anything to prevent further loss.

Your dermatologist is an idiot for suggesting surgery after learning that you don't want to/can't tolerate the sides.

It will take at least 1000 grafts to lower your hairline 1cm, potentially 1300 to 1500 grafts in order to blend it properly into the your existing hairline and to achieve a density you'll be ok with. Also, this might need to be broken up into two smaller sessions as most doctors aren't skilled enough to achieve good density on one pass without cheating by using multi-grafts throughout the area. The crown will take another 1000 to get any semblance of density and even then it will not be completely full in appearance so you'll potentially be in the hole for 5500 grafts with more loss to come. Not to mention that your hair color to scalp contrast ratio makes the appearance of density and coverage more challenging. Further, Dr. K (if you're referring to Dr. Karadeniz) will recommend FUT so you have to come to grips with that, which would be potentially the better option to prevent your donor from being carpet bombed with FUE scars and permanent donor depletion but then you'll have the strip scar to content with which you most likely won't want to do.

Based on your most recent photos, you look fine and you should pull back and try PRP and/or a laser cap of some sort since you're not into the proven medical options. You might also want to reconsider the finasteride option by going topical. I'd count myself lucky if I were you. You could be sporting an unnatural appearance and a depleted donor with no further options for surgery. You look natural enough now, hairline height considered, and you don't have a pluggy appearance. Slow down and count your blessings, then do everything except surgery to stop your loss, since, you know... more surgery doesn't stop your loss.

Last edited:
P

Philwhitehouseuk

Love how jo is so direct
Wish more guys were like that
Says it how it is

J

jaimepn

Based on your most recent photos, you look fine and you should pull back and try PRP and/or a laser cap of some sort since you're not into the proven medical options. You might also want to reconsider the finasteride option by going topical.
First of all, thank you for your comment! This was useful!

Just a few things:

- Yes, my dermatologist is an idiot for "casually" suggesting "a hair transplant" as a solution for me. 100%!

- Please don't imply that I "don't want" to tolerate side effects of medication. I tried many forms and brands of minoxidil, including foams and "gentle" formulas. It causes a dermatitis so severe that if anything exacerbates hair loss. Finasteride kills my ability to have sex, literally. Those symptoms persisted for months after i stopped the treatment and I am still not sure that it did not affect me permanently.

- I agree. My hair transplant could have been a lot worse. My donor area is impeccable, no scars, the extraction was even, my barber was impressed - he has seen many hair transplants, and he wouldn't be able to tell that I had a hair transplant done based on the donor area.

Thank you for suggesting topical finasteride and laser caps. I WILL look into it. I still want an appointment with dr Karadeniz, but probably only after trying topical finasteride (had no idea it was an option) and a laser cap and see what happens. I was thinking hair transplant again because i didn't know i had more treatment options.

Again, thank you for spending time writing this comment. Really appreciate it!

Last edited:
JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
"Please don't imply that I "don't want" to tolerate side effects of medication."

I didn't imply anything which is why I separated "don't want to" and "can't" with a slash. This is used to indicate uncertainty. You didn't specify so I did the exact opposite of implying by not assuming one specific position on your behalf.

"Again, thank you for spending time writing this comment. Really appreciate it!"

You're welcome.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Are you shaving or plucking the hairs that were lower than your transplanted hairline? I can only see the odd one in your picture.
You said, "Minoxidil causes dermatitis so severe that if anything exacerbates hair loss". You will need to take this into consideration if you decide to use Topical Finasteride. Some topicals are mixed with Minoxidil to make the solution. There are others that don`t contain it which will probably suit you better. This post has some information you may find helpful. Farmacia Parati Topical Finasteride
Apart from waiting 12 months, did the clinics you consulted with advise on what repair method they think is suitable?

J

jaimepn

Are you shaving or plucking the hairs that were lower than your transplanted hairline? I can only see the odd one in your picture.
Its a bit frustrating because you can't really see it as it is in the mirror (this is one of the reasons I want to discuss this transplant by appointment). Don't know if it's the lighting or camera. I've been shaving the some odd hairs, but I still got some 2cm of natural thinner hair below the transplant.
It's been a few days since I last shave them (I'm working from home), so you can see them starting to show up again.

One of the things I want to discuss on an appointment with the surgeon is the possibility of redistributing some of this implanted hair, more than preying on my donor area.

20201230_085939.jpg

J

jaimepn

Some topicals are mixed with Minoxidil to make the solution. There are others that don`t contain it which will probably suit you better. This post has some information you may find helpful. Farmacia Parati Topical Finasteride
Apart from waiting 12 months, did the clinics you consulted with advise on what repair method they think is suitable?
Thank you for the headsup. Yes, that's what I am seeing, all finasteride solutions I can find are mixed with minoxidil. I am really jealous of all the ppl that can tolerate minoxidil and report improvements with their hair. Anyway I used the contact provided in the post to ask for more into.

All clinics that I contacted said we could review repair options after 12 months, only exception was dr Karadeniz with 6 months. None of them advised on repair methods. This is why I want do an appointment before committing to any further surgeries.

Thank you! This forum has been an amazing place and I regret not doing this kind of homework before jumping into a hair transplant early this year.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Dr Alan Bauman supplies a non Minoxidil solution I’ve been told so check him out as well.
I’m not sure why Dr K had said 6 months is ok when other doctors advise to wait 12 months.
It would be great if you could ask him and let us know his reasoning.
Maybe it’s something new or something others don’t know.
It is a shame you never found the forum beforehand. Unfortunately there are many who go for hair transplants these days with little research.
With you saying you want those hairs punched out which may be a possibility, you should check out the repair section where there are examples of this type of repair.
Ask Davy some questions on his punch outs. This is his post.

J

jaimepn

So... I am trying to book an appointment with dr Karadeniz, just to discuss potential repair work. And they are charging 500 euros (!!!) for it, for a simple appointment. This money will be deducted from the surgery (the day after the appointment), basically forcing me to commit to a surgery from the start.

Wish I was able to discuss my problem with a dr without feeling pressured into surgery. Jesus Christ!
To be fair I think all clinics will try to push it, completely disregarding what's best for me. It's wild!