• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Please Help me with this Scar Repair; FUE it or Revise it

L

LastManStanding

This is a ten year old strip scar, my hair has receded very fast in my 30s and I am trying to make this scar less visible.
Please advise -- what you think is the best method to make this scar less visible. I ve wrote out some thoughts what I think below the videos..
I've linked two videos , the "bad" side and the "good side.
"bad side" -- very , very visible and sticks out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag6rx4ibnzcmhsj/badSide.mp4?dl=0

"good side" -- this side is not visible..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xki67zeijqv2rjb/good-side.mp4?dl=0

I am comparing two sides of my scar, one side is not very visible but the other side is. . both the left and right are very flat against the skin, in fact when i took the video i was confused why i get the negative reaction from the right side so often.
it obviously stands out a bit more than the left side, and is more visible , but not because of the size of the scar because its flatand thin like the other side . It is not raised and it is about the same size as the other side , however here are the differences I noticed:
a) the other side has more hair around it which camouflages it a bit
b) the bad side doesn't have much hair or the hair around it is thinned out , which makes it more visible. this wouldmake me lean more towards the FUE.
c) the texture of the scar is more "thicker" , kinda more bulby in a sense looking whereas the good side looks more skin-like and blends in.
d) the actual angle of the scar is more straight and like a flat and unnatural, whereas the left side follows the curve of the head a bit,

I am trying to decide whether it makes sen to get a scar revision(which i am leaning towards to) or just get a bunch of FUE into the scar ,
The SMP did not work into the scar, if anything it made it worse because there is a black dot above and below the scar now and it clearly did not go into the scar. I 've had almost 4 sessions of SMP.
My hesitation with getting a scar revision is that it is already quite thin, now if I do a revision will I lose some more surroundinghair around this scar, ? . Any revision would have to make sure it doesn't touch the surrounding hair and not stretch it further.
Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions , please :)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. If I were in your position I would use a mixture of body and scalp hair transplanted into the scar via Fue. Sometimes Smp will not work, which seems to be the case with you. Therefor go with Fue as a revision could leave the scar wider.
If you could add some close up pictures of the scar, as the video is not close up.
All the best.
Bm.

F

FUE GUY

valued member
Your scar is pretty good, not too wide. Fue is the best option if you want your hair that short and have the donor supply.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Your strip scars are thin but even with the best of strip scars you can't shave down to a zero guard without noticing the scar. Even with a FUE procedure you can't shave down. A scar revision isn't going to allow you to shave as close as you do in your video. Grafting into the scar will help somewhat, but again, it's not going to make the scar totally disappear. The clinic doing the scar repair should make sure you know what the outcome will be before they book you in, if you go for this option.

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
I want you to carefully consider everything you've been told and then I want you to listen to Janna and myself especially. She and I both come from a long history of working with strip surgery alongside doctors that are considered elite in the field. Janna gave some excellent advice and she, Bigmac and FUE Guy are spot on but I'm going to expound on what they said and be a bit more blunt.

No doctor on the planet should give you even a remote hope that they will be able to improve what you have now. Why? Because no one can guarantee an improvement and the chances of improving your scar are slim to none with strip. Your best bet is to use FUE into the scar. Period. Tricopigmentation could be considered later but only after you've had enough FUE and enough time to evaluate it. If anyone advises you to consider more strip work, even with recognized experts, they have no clue what they are talking about and do not have your best interest in mind.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Great advice and i agree with all the comments, if you are set on doing both FUE into the scar and permanent SMP as well, personally i would say that it's best in my opinion to do the FUE first (even though it's not the cheapest route). I only say this because if you shave close and then add pigment to the scar it will likely look improved. But then if you add FUE to that it could make the scar stand out as a darker line of hair if that makes sense.........where as if you do the FUE first you can build on that result to disguise the scar more.
I hope that made sense as i know what i was trying to get at but i might not have put it into words right ;;D
Good luck

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I have to agree with the above advise. Joe was blunt but bang on. BTW--people need to warnings on videos posted. Someone walked by and wondered what the hell I was watching. LOL.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Did you find a solution? It would be great to hear back from you.

Pete from Farjo

Pete from Farjo

Valued member
A shame that we didn't hear the outcome of this. Interested to know what he decided to do.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Yeah would have been good to see what he chose to do in the end.
I suspect he got some resolution and moved on.

M

Momo

I face the same issue with a wide scar lying at the back of my head. I would go to any doctor in the world to fix it...it is so disturbing to think about it all the time..please help me with recommending the best doctor in scar repair....Thanks