• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Proscar Dosage Questions

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

I''m 99% certain this is standard, but I'm 1% Rain Man so I'm going to ask---
it's kosher to take 1/2 a pill of proscar EOD as opposed to taking 1/4 tablet every day, right? I was reading an article online that said *some* medications shouldn't be split because the coating on the pill is actually what contains the time lapse release mechanism; I know EVERYONE splits proscar, so the time release shouldn't be an issue; but my instructions call for 1/4 tablet daily. Just double checking, I don't know HOW any of you cut this tiny pill into 1/4's.

DOUBLING DAILY DOSAGE (?):

Also, Dr. Hasson told me that if I'm REALLY concerned over my crown I can take double the normal daily dosage. He said the drug company is now telling them this will actually increase the benefits of the medication and one of his friends (Hassons') was doing this then dropped down to the normal dosage and he shed like crazy. I initially wasn't going to share this because I got the impression it wasn't something Hasson recommends to most patients; he told me this at the end of the evening after seeing how OCD I was getting about my crown and how bitter I was at myself for not getting on it earlier.

Has anyone else ever heard of taking fin in double dosage? I'm not really too concerned about short term sides because the incident of side effects is less than 1%, so even if it doubled your still at over 98% likelihood not to have sides; I'm more concerned about sticking w/that indefinitaly, -AND-experiencing hair loss if I ever want to go back to the normal dosage. I probably won't try this, but just wanted to hear your guys thoughts on the matter so I threw it in here.

Last edited:
janna

janna

Valuable Member
NotGoing2GoBald wrote:
I''m 99% certain this is standard, but I'm 1% Rain Man so I'm going to ask---
Lol.

The dosage seems to be all over the place depending on each person. Studies have shown the benefit/risk ratio is optimal with 1mg of finasteride per day. Taking double the dose can have it's benefits but it also doubles the risks for side effects too. As I recall, you have not been on Proscar for very long to tell if the meds are working. Most patients need 4-6 months to tell if the meds are helping to hold the native hairs and even to help regrow some hairs.

IMO, the doubling should come if you have taken Fin for a great number of years and feel the effects are no longer positive.

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Thanks Janna. Ya, I think I'll wait a year before I double up on dosage. So then, 1/2 a tab EOD is kosher, correct?

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I agree with Janna. One thing too is that people need to know that you can't just extract simple math to calculate risk and sides of meds. Because there is a 1% risk under normal dosage DOES NOT mean that doubling will only make risk 2%. Doesn't work this way. I would hate NG to have a penis the size of an 6 yr. old asian boy.(or maybe too late :::C)

NN

Last edited:
janna

janna

Valuable Member
Nervousnelly wrote:
.......the size of an 6 yr. old asian boy.(or maybe too late :::C)

NN
Or a 40 year old Canadian boy.

NG, I would think 1/2 tab eod is fine as I've heard many patients follow this regimen without any problems. You have to do what works for you.

Last edited:
NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Nervousnelly wrote:
  I would hate NG to have a penis the size of an  6 yr. old asian boy.(or maybe too late :::C)  
NN
)(_::

Like Romeo seeking Julliete, if I can not have my first & true love (my mop) then give me a potion which will kill anything hindering my path. I will gladly kill the fruit of my loins, casting my seed away into an eternal abyss ending the lineage of my name; just give me this glorious hair you speak of!

Ya, what you say about math not applying to dosage/sides makes sense. I'll stick w/normal dosage for at least a year.

Janna,

thanks. The 'standard' dosage is 1/4 of 5mg tab every day, so by me taking 1/2 EOD I'm following it, no?

PS I've been using rogain on my crown/vertex as well. Hoping for some of those amazing results you post janna. :)

P

Philb

The only thing I can add is that the studies as far as I am aware is 1mg finasteride is enough to treat hair loss, taking more will not necessarily have a detrimental effect but the flip side may not give an improvement either.

An aspect I think with meds is consistency of use and dosage, it takes time for the body to absorb and start to show positive results and a key to this is using the med consistently with no prolonged gaps between taking it. I think this results in either the med not working or the results maybe taking longer to show because the absorption rate is less consistent; for example a stupid example; you drink alcohol every day but leave a three hour gap between each drink opposed to drinking one after the other, leaving the time gap means the effects are wearing off opposed to you retaining the effects if continually drinking. The dosage/drinks could be the same but the effects different. Hope that makes sense.