• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

receding temples in female

A

andieje

Hi

I have significant receding at my temples. It started in my late teens. I am now in my mid 30s and it isn't much worse than when I was a teenager.

I have been to see a surgeon for a consultation and they recommend a strip procedure (so as not to shave the donor area) with about 2000 grafts each side.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or opinions. There is a picture below. I was wondering if any of the doctors who participate in this forum would be prepared to comment.

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture-013.jpg
    Picture-013.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 22,782
Last edited:
Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I am certainly not a physician but do have signifcant experience with HT's and it will all depend on the plan of action of altering your hairline. Certainly a total of 4000 grafts would do the trick if you are lowering your hairline considerably but I would also like to think that you could have a fantastic cosmetically altered look for 2500 total grafts. It will all come down to the plan of the hairline change.

If you have computer skills and a photoshop type software you could draw in your desired hairline and this would immensely help the physicians.

Also--check out the examples of females in the clinic section.

NN

A

andieje

I'm not bothered about the lowering the hairline at the front, just 'filling in' the missing bits at the sides.

I was quoted about £6000 for 2500 grafts which did seem a lot, especially now realise I can go to belgium and pay for a flight and a hotel and more grafts for the same cost

A

andieje

I was told you couldnt do more than about 40/50 grafts per cm^2 due to limited blood supply to the area but having looked at some websites for belgium surgeons it would seem that is only the case if you make 'big' incisions for the FUs. They seem to be able to do 60-90 these days.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
You are correct. If you are not lowering the hairline but just strengthening the existing hairline the needed grafts are much lower ofcourse.

Yes, I would guess that you could have the procedure done in Belgium for similar cost with flight and everything included. But more importantly--they are more skilled! Trust me on that one.

On the topic of money. Don't let money be a major factor although I know that you must consider it. Having bad work corrected is much more expensive. However it is likely a non issue as you have discovered that you actually can have better surgeons do the work for less. Bonus.

Research like crazy before you do anything.

NN

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I am not a surgeon but I would think that they could do 60+ for you without an issue. Keep in mind that they might not need to achieve that density. That is something that needs to be determined by the surgeon.

NN

A

andieje

You seem to know what you are talking about so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions.

I was told a procedure of 2500 grafts @ 40/50 grafts per cm^2 would give a density of 25-35% of the original hair:

a) this doesn't sound very much
b) my original hair density is far less than 120 grafts per cm^2 (if you take 40 grafts per cm^2 as 33%) so I am guessing to get calculate a density as low 30% from that number of grafts then quite a few don't survive!

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Ah--I like that you are using your head and thinking this thru. Very wise to do the math. I am going to guess that your hair density is likely 75-90 fu/cm2.

What most surgeons will tell you is that you don't appear like your hair is thinning until approx. 50% hairloss. So in other words, they could restore your hair to 1/2 of original density and it will just be bordering on looking thin.

Now in your case, you are female with thinning in only the temple areas so all you need to do is blend into the native hair behind the temple and therefore the density required does not have to match that behind but needs to be a natural blend. Make sense?

**I am typing quickly so I hope that I am not making errors in my statements but someone will catch it if that is the case.

NN

A

andieje

My hair is naturally thin so I don't think i need as high a density as some people. Also I have curly hair and curly hair looks thicker than straight hair because, well you know, it's not straight so occupies up more volume! :)

Yes, I was happy for it to still be slightly thinner at the temples as that is natural in most women anyhow, but a 35% blend seems too low in my opinion

D

drmwamba

Valued member
Hello Andie ,

I just followed your discussion and there is some clues to consider .

2000 grafts in each side seems to much in your case .You don't want to lower your hair line and need only to fill the temples .

The general principle is to reach at least 50% of your original density to get the illusion of same coverage . If you are above the 50 % ,you will be better of .

If you have thin hairs ,you need high density grafting to get a full coverage or the illusion of full coverage .And if you don't see any signs of hair loss progression ,you caan go up to 60 or 70 FU/cm2 .Above this number ,the risk ( I said the risk ) of poor yield goes higher .

Curly hairs give good coverage eventhough at low density ;therefore ,no need to get crazy with grafting density .

You noticed you have some factors working for you and others against you .That's why it is so important to discuss your goals with the doctor .

In my humble opinion , you don't need high density in your temples because naturally ,there is a progresion of density before to reach the maximum density behind .

If you have a natural density of 90 fu/cm2 ,you need to target 40 to 50 fu/cm2 or 60 if you want really full coverage .I won't recommend to go higher than 60 .

Now ,you need to figure out the surface of your temples .

By looking at your temples ,I do believe the surface in each side is about 15 to 20cm2 .

so the range of grafts could go from 1200 ( 40 fu/cm2 for 30 cm2 ) to 2400 grafts ( 40 cm2 at 60 fu/cm2 ).

You can send your pictures to different doctors and each one could give you its own approach depending on your goals .

Then you could start to consider prices and techniques .

FUT is faster and don't require to shave your head .It is anyway more agressive than FUE but less expensive .

FUE could also be done without shaving your head .( FIT patchy shaven ).

Recovering in post op is faster and you can resume to any activity (sports ) within one to two weeks without fear to widen your scar like in strip or FUT.

Keep searching and confront doctor's recommendations ;there is one who will match your goals .

A

andieje

Hi

Thanks for your detailed reply. I was advised a total of (at least 2000), not 2000 each side.

I think the area measured was 20cm^2 on one side and 24cm^2 on the other. My right temple is apparently slightly worse than the left temple (on the photo). Foolishly I didn't write the figures down because I assumed the doctor would have set up a file with my details in.

I am also concerned that my temples will receed even further when I get older. As I mentioned the recession is getting worse with time, but only slowly, but I have no idea at what age it may speed up. Certainly my paternal grandmother had receeded significantly by the age of 80. I do not have pictures of her at any other age to measure the rate of progression if I have indeed inherited her hairline.

A

andieje

I was told that you can't graft more than 50 grafts per cm^2 otherwise the grafts die due to limited blood supply, yet WHTC and other clinics seem to regularly offer higher densities than 50 grafts per square centimetre. Please can someone explain this discrepancy for me?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi.

Did you get a transplant in the end or have you put it on hold.

Cheers Bm