• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Resection and Grafting to Hairline - Dr. Ron Shapiro

janna

janna

Valuable Member
You €™ll likely be familiar with this patient's photo documentation but since it €™s not on this site any longer and we get inquiries about it, I thought I €™d re-post it.

Slide1.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide8.jpg

slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide9.jpg

Slide10.jpg

Slide11.jpg

north country boy

north country boy

Valued member
Hi janna this guy must be well happy, nice work, are those stitches going around his hairline in step one? (if so whY) NCB

J

JJ09

Wow! Excellent outcome, I would have been worried about scarring, looks fine however.

Janna, how wide of a strip was removed?

Every time I went for repair work over the years I always asked the Dr €™s to recycle the grafts and the answer was always the same €œthe grafts would be damaged and not survive €;;::::/ Oh the waste.;ss;

Great to see you guys at SMG look after that precious donor. ¬b`

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi NCB,

The stitches are after the RESECTION. When a resection is performed, a strip is taken out instead of punch outs for individual plugs. This method takes the front row of plugs out at once. This patient's row of plugs were too low in his forehead to work around so Dr. Ron and patient felt the best option was to do a resection. With resection, you must plan to plant grafts within the new scar. It's not an easy technique and the patients are required to come by the clinic everyday for a week while they heal to make sure healing is going well. Preferred method would be to do punch outs but this method will take it's place when appropriate.

JJ09,

I believe the strip was close to 1/2 cm width. Not recycling old grafts is ridiculous.

I don't know your situation with hairloss and hair restoration. It sounds like you've endured some bad work. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you continue to participate here and in time feel comfortable enough to share your story with us. If there are any questions or concerns I can address, please feel free to let me know.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
This case really goes down as one of the finest ever in terms of the overall change to the hairline. It certainly did take some patience for all involved but well worth the wait. Thanks for posting this again.

NN

janna

janna

Valuable Member
We recently saw this patient in person and you'd never know he'd had ht surgery at all. We really wanted him to attend the ISHRS's Live Patient Viewing in Amsterdam. Unfortunately, his schedule did not allow. Perhaps in the future as it would be nice for others to see him close and upfront.

N

NW5a

Valued member
Wow, great repair work. I did not seen that resection technic so far.

Do u do "scalp reduction" at SMG also ?

north country boy

north country boy

Valued member
Thanks janna, this is the first time i have seen this ;) NCB

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
first time ive seen this too, this really is incredible and the guy looks amazing....... you would never know he had had surgery let alone the extent of his surgery im blown away by this bravo he must be thrilled to bits ¬b`

M

MnM

Valued member
Phenomenal results Janna! This is the first time I've seen this also, but the patient must be thrilled to be out from under the prior hair piece & bad plugs to a very refined and natural hair transplant. This really shows how powerful today's techniques are in the right hands.

Just for my own curiosity, resection was chosen as a result of how low the hairline was, along with the size of the grafts, right? How far do you feel you need to plant in front of the new scar to completely hide it?

M&M

J

JJ09

janna wrote
JJ09,

I believe the strip was close to 1/2 cm width. Not recycling old grafts is ridiculous.

I don't know your situation with hairloss and hair restoration. It sounds like you've endured some bad work. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you continue to participate here and in time feel comfortable enough to share your story with us. If there are any questions or concerns I can address, please feel free to let me know.
Thanks janna

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve met this patient in person and have to say his results are great,very natural.

Top notch work.

bm.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Wow, I'm getting a lot of first timers to "resection" results. Glad it's been re-posted.

"Just for my own curiosity, resection was chosen as a result of how low the hairline was, along with the size of the grafts, right? How far do you feel you need to plant in front of the new scar to completely hide it?"

M&M

That's correct. The exisiting hairline was too low to just do a punch out and to graft in front of. I don't understand your question - "along with the size of the grafts".

It's ideal to have approximately 4-5mm ( half a cm) in front of the resection scar to hide it properly. Dr. Ron said we could graft almost on top of it with may be 2-3mm in front, which should still cover the scar but ideally 4 -5 mm is good.

M

MnM

Valued member
Thanks Janna for the detailed response. Oh, I was just meaning that the first hairline was too low and was likely larger grafts / plugs (ie. multi-hair mini-grafts).

Again - the work looks terrific!

M&M

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Okay, I get you now. We planted majority of single hair grafts, which he didn't have from his first surgery in the hairline to make it natural.

J

JJ09

Seriously! I would consider doing this to rid my self of the pitting in my hairline, only I have too many scars already;;D in the middle my hairline is 4.5cm above the eyebrow's...is this too low I wonder...