• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Scar Tissue and Graft Survival Rates

P

PP

I`m contemplating having a second hair transplant procedure with the Follicular Unit Extraction method, 2000 grafts will suffice to touch up the area. I have lost more native hair since my last surgery and there`s a number of two hair grafts now exposed in my hairline, this limits my styling options and looks rather odd.

What concerns me are growth factors, the process of transplanting into a previous transplanted area. What complications may I encounter?... as I`ve read scar tissue in the area may cause poor yield. What constitutes scar tissue in the transplanted zone? I`ve seen examples of bad pitting and large plugs which need to be removed and sutured up "BUT" when its normal transplanted hair will it create a problem? Are all patients who have a second..third..fourth hair transplant in the same area at risk of poor yield because of scarring made by previous incisions which are supposed to be minimally invasive?

garageland

garageland

Valued member
It depends when you had the first procedure and who did it for you?, A modern ht by a reputable surgeon and the scarring would be very minimal as you say.I had a lot of scaring to the recipient area but the was because i had mid 90's mini grafts, that said the yield did not seem to be affected but again this will be determined by the skill of the surgeon.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Yup the bigger the plugs the more chance of scarring/damage to the scalp.

Who did you have your surgery with and have you any pictures you can post.

Thanks bm.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Going back in to the same area already planted really depends on the quality of the previous ops as said as does hair directions and angles placed and of course any micro scarring in the area. This can result in a lower yield and so it may be better to have a slightly reduced density placed to give them every chance of growing in that case. Placing on ridging can be the largest obstacle as this normal reduces the yield so if hair line work it maybe necessary to place slightly in front of any ridging if possible.

J

JJ09

Crap! So I will also have to deal with the chance of a lower yield €¦it makes good sense to place a lower number of grafts into an already scarred area.

M

Mountain

Valued member
If the information about A Cell powder is true, this might make grafting of a scar a lot more successful.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Mountain wrote:
If the information about A Cell powder is true, this might make grafting of a scar a lot more successful.

Hi Mountain

Have you any more info on this you can post here.

Thanks bm.

P

PP

Hi guys, not been on the forums for some time now and thought I`d provide a quick update. I went ahead with 1000 Fue grafts placed in and around my hairline 4 months ago. I can now feel new hair stubbles along my hairline.. so fingers crossed its the start of things to come. I initially thought I would need 2000 but on expert advice I only needed 1000 which was good news.

Will keep you all posted on my progress.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear that you needed less grafts than you thought to achieve your goals,have you any pictures to post.

The new stubbles are the start of things to come and exciting times.

Cheers bm.

M

Maytal

I had lots of pitting from my first tranplant which i put down to the incompetence of the doctor. My hairline was stalky and very very un-natural when the hair was lifted up. Fortunately i had plenty of donor left and my second choice in doctor did an excellent job. I would say at least 95% growth with most of it planted in scar tissue.

P

PP

Hi guys,

Its been a while, thought I`d update as I`m looking forward to a New Year and new start. My hair is now wonderful, I`m happy how its all turned out... now I can move on with my life.

Thanks to all who post and help on the forums, I wish everyone a top New Year.