• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Scarring after FUE?

T

Thinlocks

valued member
Hello everyone, just joined as I am thinking of having Fue but not sure who to go to. I have a thin hairline, more so in the center. I shave the back and sides to a no.1 guard. I won't be able to do this if I'm left with scarring.
This thread has been very useful.
Which doctors are using the smaller punches?

Last edited:
T

Thinlocks

valued member
Boberto, what guard is your hair length? Also which doctor did you use?

B

Boberto

Valued member
Went with BHR clinic.

Donor Hair was shaved unguarded 4/5 days before this pic

B

Boberto

Valued member
Thinlocks my outlook was much the same as I like back and sides short.

Have you got pics of current state?

Depends on hair characteristics but my advice would be to be hit it with FUE with a realistic hairline and work backwards.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Here is an important point to consider. If you go back at least 10 years ago the big debate was on punch sizes. Most claiming to be using something around a .75 for the best result with a few actually claiming that they were going as low as .5, it became somewhat of a competition. Over the years it seemed to be around that .75-.85 range worked best for most follicle groupings with the least amount of possible scarring and maybe something slightly larger only on occasion when the grouping was extremely large.

One doctor that I remember posting pictures which I still have clearly showed the size difference of fresh extractions using a .75 punch next to a 1.0 punch. Visually there definitely was a difference. When the robotics came around and there appeared to be an opportunity to make some money he pushed robotics which at the time was using a much larger punch closer to 1.3

And here is the point €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦..that surface area of the 1.3 comes out to be 1.32 which is 3-4 times larger than those smaller punches. Knowing this would you personally be able to use something that much larger on someone who very possibly could be some young kid that just doesn €™t have enough information. I personally could not do it. No way, no how I would just have to walk away €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦..but you see there are some out there that can do it €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦..somehow they can rationalize it in their head. In fact many in this business that often do the wrong thing rationalize it away in their head. The dollar signs simply take over and they are willing to possibly destroy some young kid €™s life as they seem to not have a conscience €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦this is the reality of this business. They will tell you the size of that punch does not matter and they will do it with a smile on their face.

I think over time with enough pressure more truth is starting to get out there and many in the industry that played the old game are looking for a new game. Honesty has been and always will be the best policy some have just been too dumb to know it. Yes there are some very dumb people working in this industry €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦..they think they are smart but maybe they €™re not. People that truly want to help you will always truly want to help you. They don €™t need to change in order to do that nor do they need to come up with some new gimmick or better mouse trap. Just help people with honest information to begin with and there will not be an issue later.

Punch size does matter €¦ €¦ €¦ €¦..even with robotics the size has come down but not yet achieved what a small hand punch can do. If size didn €™t matter they would have left it with the original punch and would still be arguing how their large punches were better because of robust grafts. Some of what has been stated almost becomes insulting at some point.

Those who's biggest interest in life is making money will always have that at the top of their list. Maybe it's not their fault and they just need to create a new list one that makes more sense and puts making money farther down.

Last edited:
S

somit

Reading the forums so long, I still wonder whether the punch size is the only measure. Does fue work differently on different skin types

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Dozens and dozen of postings have been submitted over the years on each and every forum regarding other issues such as types of skin (dark skin....keloid scarring) etc............you have to go back and maybe review some of what you read or maybe you missed it.

Punch size is important because it is something that can be controlled along with size of procedure etc............everything that can be controlled should be done in a way that benefits the patient in my opinion.

And it all depends on what you want to believe. Plenty of promoters out there that are wetting their pants over robotics.............. I say they are just industry stooges no different as in the past..............but like I wrote depends on what you want to believe.

F

FUE GUY

valued member
I`ve learnt a great deal about fue from the forums. All fue will leave a scar no matter what the punch size is, obviously a smaller punch will leave a smaller area of scar tissue.

Dependant on the skill of the person doing the extraction pattern, extracting grafts too close to one another may cause the scar tissue to join up creating a moth eaten look in the donor region. Donor management is essential.

Some will scar worse than others, patients with darker skin will be at a disadvantage. If you`re having fue because you want the option to shave down it may not be possible dependant on the size of surgery and the possible white dot scarring.

Dr Mwamba wrote....... Scarring with FUE is rare and for those who have that ,we are coming with ways of treating it .

Has there been any new developments ?