• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Slivering Video

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Nice clip,the slivers cut quite easy,its good to see how they are seperated.

Thanks bm.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
I've helped Dr. Ron demonstrate various aspects of our surgery at many workshops and conferences over the years. We get many doctors from all over the world stopping by our clinic to view our technique. So I know first hand what some of the "newbie" doctors are saying...they get into the field because it looks easy. The harvesting of donor, cutting, slivering, planting....it looks easy if a skillful person is performing them. It takes years of consistent experience to acquire the skills to make it look easy.

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Very interesting video. The clip makes it look easy (which it clearly isn't) - as Matt was saying to me last week it's also the fact that top surgeons use more techs to separate the hairs that helps stops fatigue and poor results - rather than overwork a smaller team.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
janna wrote:
I've helped Dr. Ron demonstrate various aspects of our surgery at many workshops and conferences over the years. We get many doctors from all over the world stopping by our clinic to view our technique. So I know first hand what some of the "newbie" doctors are saying...they get into the field because it looks easy. The harvesting of donor, cutting, slivering, planting....it looks easy if a skillful person is performing them. It takes years of consistent experience to acquire the skills to make it look easy.

It must take a lot of concentration as one slip and theres a few grafts wasted.

I can see why techs are rotated to give them a break as it must be quite exhausting work.

bm.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
It's definately labor intensive work. The slivering isn't too tiring but you have to have steady hands and very good eye sight - even with help from microscopes. It's easy when the hairs are lined up straight like in the video but there are plenty of patients who have very light hair and follicles so you can't see well. There are patients who have curly hairs to sometimes the hairs are intertwined. You have to anticipate which way the hairs are growing so you don't transect down into the follicles.

I was taking a video of slivering again couple days ago for the ISHRS Conference and the strip width was 1.8cm so it seemed like it took ages to get just one sliver. I should have waited until we had a 1.0cm width...that'll teach me. Once I get it downloaded, I'll post it here.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Janna

Be great to see this new video.

Thanks bm.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Here is another slivering video thats a little longer that I put together for the ISHRS conference and their Surgical Assistant's program in Amsterdam this year. We have number of technicians who can sliver and they all like to use a different type of blade. You can see besides the Mantis microscope, we have a Zeiss microscope with a monitor attached. The monitor gave very good clear pictures. A special thanks to Shelli at our clinic who I taped slivering - putting her "on the spot". As you can observe, she did not make any transections.

An important aspect of dissecting grafts. When a strip is harvested, you must first sliver down the strip to very thin slices to get at the individual grafts.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/iz6yFQYoEEA&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a good video Janna,very educational and shows that the techs must have a high level of concentration at all times.

Thanks for posting it.

bm.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Great video, it shows that good techs are a crucial part of a good transplant and work like this needs a high level of skill and competence
Thanks j:)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Janna

How long must a tech work for you before you allow them to cut grafts unsupervised.

bm.