• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Staples or sutures

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Dr. Shapiro,

since you keep both options on the table, what circumstances lend themselves to one or the other? Apart from sutures being more comfterable, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each respectively; and in what respects do each surpass the other for given scenarios? This is something I've wondered as well, because sutures obviously seem more patient friendly, yet the clinic I have chosen, AFAIK, only uses staples.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve heard people say that sutures can pull the donor closure too tight and this can cause the the scar to be raised above normal scalp level.

IMO it really depends on the tightness - you can get bumps/raised tissue with either sutures or staples if there's too much tension. if the sutures are pulled too tight and there's stress and tightness - then yes it can happen but same can be said for staples too if there's too much tension. Just the bumps are a little different.

I`ve read many plastic surgeons like using sutures because they have more control with the tension of the suture.

So imo again its all down to the skill of the doctor and patient physiology.

Paul Shapiro MD

Paul Shapiro MD

Valued member
Staples or Sutures

Should be no different in theory

Suture advantages

1)More comfortable

2) Have a little more flexibility in the dept of the suture which sometime can be helpful in very thin or very thick skin

3)When the closure is on the tight side it is sometimes more difficult to align the skin with the forceps

Staple advantage

1) Closure can take less time. If patient difficult to numb, anxious, bleeding hard to control.

2) In theory they are stronger then sutures.

3) With normal or loose skin they will align the skin easier than sutures. Meaning the doctor needs more skill to ensure proper alignment with sutures sometimes.

4) When removing the strip in two sections it is easier with staples.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Dr Paul for your insight into this debate.

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Well I've got 50+ staples in at the moment (yes I got someone to count them and yes I've obviously got WAY too much free time on my hands) but they ain't been too bad. I'd get them again if offered a choice.

I'm hoping a cousin of mine will be able to take them out (she's good with stuff like this) as I've shown her a YouTube video and said 'look it's easy, you'll be fine' (just kidding...)

Last edited: