• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Very early FUE result after 3 months : 3143 grafts

Dr Devroye

Dr Devroye

Valued member
This patient received 3143 grafts for 6913 hair in two days.

The donor area was divided in two equal halves : right and left.

The first day, two kinds of punches were used 0.9 mm and 1 mm. Indeed, I often use two different sizes. The bigger punch for the bigger grafts and then, the small one to finish the area with the smallest grafts.
The result was : 1614 grafts for 3389 hair. So, 2.1 hair/graft for a FTR of 8 %.

(Definition of Follicle Transection Rate (FTR or TR)
This is the result obtained when the total number of transected hair follicles are divided by the total number of follicles that have been extracted, both intact and transected.)

The second day, for the second half of the donor area, I increased the size of the punch to 0.95 and 1.05 mm.
Result : 1529 grafts for 3524 hair, so 2.3 hair/graft for a FTR of 4 %.

This is a good illustration of the influence of the punch size on the result of the extraction.

A small augmentation of the punch size resulted in an increase of the hair number per graft (2.3 instead of 2.1) and a decrease of the transection rate at a very low level (4 % instead 8 %).

I'm not favorable to using the micro punch (0.7 mm). I think that it €™s better to adapt the punch size to the size of the follicles to obtain as much hair as possible per graft, and in the same time less transection.

The reason is simple, the patient wants hair. And he wants a good result at the first surgery!
The picture of the grafts shows the quality of these ones.

The picture of the donor area was taken immediately after the surgery and showed the size of the gaps for a punch of 1 mm, with a density of 15 grafts extracted per cm2 (square of 4 cm2).

I will send you an update of this patient soon.

115_041620_260000001.jpg

115_041620_260000000.jpg

115_041620_070000003.jpg

115_041620_060000001.jpg

115_041620_060000000.jpg

115_041620_060000002.jpg

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Interesting thread this, i like your approach to adapting punch sizes to the size of the follicle....makes good sense to me.

Nice pictures of the grafts and the donor area too we don't often get to see pictures like these.

Thanks for posting;)

W

wolfsatplay

Valued member
This is a nice, well written case study. Thank you Dr Devroye.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
It be interesting to determine exactly what percentage of hairs you see in the M3 are continued growth from transplanted hairs or are new growth after the initial shed of transplanted hairs. He should have a great result regardless.

SADbutTRUE

SADbutTRUE

Valued member
lookin good, nice result at 3 months,things are progressing nicely