• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Was wondering if i should change meds?

K

k-dog

I'm currently on half a 1mg tablet of generic Finasteride every 3 days and have been for over a month. I was wondering if i'm being silly if i just change to to the brand name Merck's Propecia 1mg tablets from now on still with my same dosage taken ratio? Or Should i just the stick to the generic Finasteride tablets longer? I hear stories that the generic pills can not be as effective as the brand name ones. Thanks

B

Blue52

I have only used Propecia for peace of mind. Like you I heard claims that generic brands were not as effective and didn't want to risk it even though there are considerable savings to be made. This was 6 years ago and things have probably changed since then. It could be something to ask your pharmacist next time you order or collect.

K

k-dog

I have only used Propecia for peace of mind. Like you I heard claims that generic brands were not as effective and didn't want to risk it even though there are considerable savings to be made. This was 6 years ago and things have probably changed since then. It could be something to ask your pharmacist next time you order or collect.
Okay many thanks for your opinion.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
As long as you get it from a reputable place I think you will be fine. I`ve used generic Finasteride for 13 plus years. It still works to this day.

K

k-dog

As long as you get it from a reputable place I think you will be fine. I`ve used generic Finasteride for 13 plus years. It still works to this day.
Okay thanks! I get mine from Dr fox which is reputable. Just wondered if the proscar is more effective as you read some reports that generic which can be not as effective.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I switched from Proscar to Finasteride with no noticeable difference.

M

Matt88

So is generic Finasteride working just as good in your opinion?
Hi k-dog, I read somewhere that the UK has quite stringent rules on medication production, so generic brands tend to be of a high standard here and essentially of the same quality as branded.

K

k-dog

Hi k-dog, I read somewhere that the UK has quite stringent rules on medication production, so generic brands tend to be of a high standard here and essentially of the same quality as branded.
Hi Matt, thanks for your reply. It is reassuring to know this as its a subject that you often gets lots of differnt opinions on it. I think i will stick to generic for the time being!

M

Matt88

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply. It is reassuring to know this as its a subject that you often gets lots of differnt opinions on it. I think i will stick to generic for the time being!
No problem, k-dog. It's definitely a minefield as regards info on this, but that's likely because people can all react differently to the same drug. From what I've read, though, I'm not entirely sure the benefit would be much different if you switched to branded, so you would at least be saving yourself quite a bit of money in the long run by sticking with generic, which can't be a bad thing!