• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

When do new hairs stop sprouting??

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
I check my hair every day and night since my HT and I notice new transplanted hairs coming through all the time, even being 5 months post HT now. Not that i think it’s a bad thing I’m just wondering how long can this normally carry on till??

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Every patient is different when it comes to new growth.
Usually the follicles begin growing between month 3 to 5 and may continue right up to month 12. Then your hair can still mature right upto 18 months post op.
It is difficult to establish what percentage of growth you have in these months.

These are rough growth estimates that are quoted by many clinics.

Month 3 - 30%
Month 4 - 40%
Month 5 - 50%
Month 6 - 60%
Month 9 - 80/90%
Month 12 - 90/100%

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Thanks Bigmac for the info. When you say mature what do you mean by that?

Last edited:
R

Richie888

Thanks Bigmac for the info. When you say mature what do you mean by that?
I think he's implying that they may look established at 12months but they can still continue to develop and thicken right upto 18 months.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Usually, by 12 months, you have had all your growth but I have witnessed patients who continue to have new growth but mainly it will be the hair thickening up/maturing.
The hair shaft may be thin or wiry and just takes a bit longer to be fully established.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Usually, by 12 months, you have had all your growth but I have witnessed patients who continue to have new growth but mainly it will be the hair thickening up/maturing.
The hair shaft may be thin or wiry and just takes a bit longer to be fully established.
Thanks for clarifying that Bigmac. I’m just worrying a little (probably over thinking) as I have a few thinner patches my right temple and the middle of my frontal third. I can feel the hair there, it feels like toothbrush bristles. I’m thinking maybe because some of my native hair has grown a lot faster that it’s making it look like there is thin patches. I’ll be posting a picture in my journey this Saturday as I’ll be 20 weeks post HT.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Just wondering how some hairs can take up to 9 months to come through. That seems a long time for them to be under the skin?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
You may find it was a weaker graft that just takes longer to respond. The hairs grow in cycles, it may grow fine and wispy where you don’t really see it, then sheds and grows back stronger.
Like how a plant may grown, you move it and it may wilt and look half dead, then over time it recovers, same type of thing with grafts.
Some go through more trauma than others, some are stronger etc.
This link explains it in more detail.