• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

2%, 5%, 10%, or 15% Minoxidil

T

tufty

Hello everyone, I've only recently joined the forum after the Mrs made an off the cuff remark about how thin my hair was looking. She didn't mean much by it but it was a bit of a wake up call for me. Anyhow, I have read what seems hundreds of articles and forums regarding all the various products and remedies available for thinning hair. The one common denominator in all the discussions seems to be the use of Minoxidil to help prevent or at least to slow baldness.
My question is, I have seen on various websites and there are many different strengths of Minoxidil available: 2%, 5%, 10%, or 15% Minoxidil. It seems that in the UK the maximum you can purchase is 5% although I have seen the odd bottle of 15% Minoxidil available on eBay. Is Minoxidil a case of the stronger the better the results are or should I be starting with 2% and wait to see the results before moving to a stronger dosage?
I appreciate any advice as I'm nervous as heck about putting anything on my head that will result in losing what hair I do have quicker than if I didn't do anything at all.

Last edited:
baldasabadger10

baldasabadger10

Valued member
I`d have to say the 5% foam is the best option to start, easy to apply, will dry quickly and not as harsh as the liquid. The HLE shop on this forum usually had good deals to supply it, if not, then Boots sometimes have promotions.
Finasteride is the best solution to hold onto your hair if you`re ok with the possibility of side effects.

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Tufty

Thanks for posting their has been some fantastic results with using the Combo thats 5% Rogaine Foam and 1mg Finasteride daily but their can be side effects with some people using the Finasteride , if you do decide to use any of the above it takes time and you have to give at least a few months , its best to take pictures of your present situation with your hair , take pictures from each side from the front and from the top and the back and check against these in a few months , you can always send your pictures of to Clinics for Consultations as well forward planning , I always thought I had a high forward and was well receding but when my partner mentioned that my crown was thin it was a heavy blow to the system , anyway my friend hopefully you will do your research and find a good plan of action , their are some Clinics out their offering deals that are cheap but trust me the results they produce can be very poor and leave you in a worse situation so research, I wish you all the best and the support is here on this forum if you need it have a great day keep positive your doing the right thing already
Take Care I care
Daz

T

tufty

Guys, thanks for the original replies and apologies for the delayed response.
I have being using 5% generic minoxidil foam for 6 months now and I'm very pleased to report that the results have been positive. Dazzster26 you mention using Finasteride too in combo with the minoxidil. I think, after researching this, that I'm at the stage where I would like to try this too.
Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of a reliable and reasonable supplier of generic Finasteride in the UK? I remember, when I first started researching hair loss reading about a UK doctor who supplies this medication based on a questionnaire but for the life of me I can't find his details any longer.
Also, I purchased my first 6 month generic 5% minoxidil foam (Kirkland) from the US but it took a good while to reach me and then I had to pay some additional charges to the courier. That was in November and I am now looking to purchase my next 6 month. Does anyone have a reliable UK supplier of generic minoxidil foam? I realise I can purchase Rogaine foam via the shop on here but it is a little pricey for me. There are some websites selling Kirkland but they seem to be US based too. There is a UK site, Minoxidil2U, that sells this but has anyone tried them? Are they legit? I'd rather pay the extra and source from the US and ensure I'm getting the right stuff if there have been issues with them.
Anyhow, overall I'm really pleased with the positive results of the Minoxidil and I'm hoping the finasteride, when I have some, will make a bigger difference again :)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear you`re having a positive response with the foam. There is a UK supplier/doctor who supplies Fin from the online store on this site. It's genuine stuff and a reasonable price.
The store is top left of the forum page.

T

tufty

Hi All, nearly a year since started with the Minoxidil and well happy with the results. I started taking Finasteride in May. So cannot say for sure which of Minoxidil or Finasteride is making the biggest positive difference but can say in combo they are doing a great job for me. Bigmac - apologies - I purchased the Finasteride from Dr Steven Edgar. Also, has anyone got a good supplier of Minoxidil. I have been using Minoxidil2u as I ended up paying more when I first purchased from the USA after VAT was applied and courier charges. Does anyone have a cheaper supplier as always looking to save a little if possible. Also, they sent me a discount code for 10% (code is FIRST10) but it is only a one-off so can't use it any longer.
On a slightly different note, does can anyone offer an opinion on hair loss related shampoos?

Anyhow, I do have some before and after pics so I'll try to post them here.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It would be great to see your pictures. You can upload them to your gallery underneath your screen name.