• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

2000 FUE Grafts - Hair Dr Clinic Leeds - 26th Apr 2021

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Everything sounds like you're right on track with the healing process. Having your first hair wash always feels good and gives you a feelgood feeling. The scabs will come off when they`re ready but you can soak the shampoo on your scalp to help them along.
Itching can drive you crazy sometimes but the Aloe should help with this. Antihistamine tablets have helped some with the itch.
Thanks for the update.

S

SPHW88

Hello,

So I thought I'd combine a few updates - Today is Day 17 so midway between weeks 2 and 3. I'll post the current status next but I'll fill in some gaps to date.

Days 8-14
During this time I found that some irritation was coming on but quite mildly, I had went to a local Holland & Barrett to buy an aloe vera gel to apply to both donor and recipient area. The irritation was generally only in the donor area. It had lasted since late in the first week through to Day 10 but aloe vera definitely helped. I had been wearing a cap during this time as advised by the clinic (albeit loosely) but I kept it to moments of need and to catch up with family outdoors or shopping etc. I did consciously avoid circumstances where I'd have to wear the cap so that I would not be disturbing the process too much. As time went on I grew in confidence and I would say that by the end of the week I was less concerned about doing damage but still careful. I will share some pictures below at this stage.

I typically could cover enough of the top of my head with my native hair which I'd left unshaved. I do think this works for my hair type so take a look if you have any concerns about this stage. I found that scabbing was relatively gone by day 10-12 but occasionally found a hidden scab fall out after washing. I found this stage very easy and with the itching subsiding I almost felt completely normal.

I would say that when washing at around day 8 a few hairs fell away. Not sure where from but in all honesty since then I've not noticed anything on my pillows, in the sink/shower or on my hat from wearing it. So all in all I think that's positive and hopefully just a part of shedding.

All the best to everyone.
S

Attachments

• Day 11 1.jpg
    Day 11 1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Day 11 2.jpg
    Day 11 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 279
  • Day 11 3.jpg
    Day 11 3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Day 11 4.jpg
    Day 11 4.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 232
  • Day 14 1.jpg
    Day 14 1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Day 14 2.jpg
    Day 14 2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Day 14 3.jpg
    Day 14 3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Day 14.jpg
    Day 14.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 248
S

SPHW88

Day 17

Since the 2 week mark I've been back to normality day to day and I still wear a cap when out and with people I'm not intending to tell about my procedure. I have been advised that come the end of week 4 (11 days time) we can review, but it's likely I can shower as normal rather than use a jug over my head to wash. Also perhaps towel dry my hair and maybe even a cool setting on the hairdryer. Hopefully at this point I can use a cap a little less often and style the top to cover over any redness as I approach a deeper shedding stage.

I feel really comfortable at the moment and no issues. I'm applying Aloe Vera gel after I use the Sebamed shampoo, but it's really just to help the redness fade away over time. I have a very very mild occasional itch in the donor but it's very rare and goes away in no time.

I guess I'm feeling quite positive at this stage, I can really see the hairline and think it looks good. I am hoping that I suit it when it grows in and I don't look like I have receded much. I would say that as my donor has grown back in quite quickly, I can see the gaps in the harsh light so I'm not enjoying that, however I did like how it looked when shorter than it currently is. I'll play around with that in future when I can get a cut. The people I have told have commented that it looks completely normal. Perhaps in daylight and perhaps to someone not knowing what to look for, but at the moment I am a little concerned that it looks patchy. Happy to hear comments and please be honest... See Day 17 pictures?

The front has grown in a good bit, but I am aware that it'll shed soon. Due to the fact I had the middle part shaved back it looks a lot thicker, this is due to the native hair regrowing... I am also a little concerned that the temples perhaps aren't as dense and I'm hoping this will come out with an even density to may native hair. Has anyone any thoughts on this from my Day 17 Pictures?

All in all though it's been totally fine and my fingers are crossed for being able to style my hair enough like I used to in order to cover the recipient area until it's grown in.

All the best to everyone.
S

Attachments

• Day 17 1.jpg
    Day 17 1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Day 17 wet 2.jpg
    Day 17 wet 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Day 17 wet.jpg
    Day 17 wet.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Day 17 3.jpg
    Day 17 3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Day 17 4.jpg
    Day 17 4.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Day 17 5.jpg
    Day 17 5.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Day 17 6.jpg
    Day 17 6.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Day 17 cover.jpg
    Day 17 cover.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 250
B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Looks like it’s coming on well, it’s still very early days though in the process before you can tell what the end result will be. Hang in there fella I’m sure the result will be what you are hoping for

Philw

Early days mate
U will find u will look worse over time before u look better
Just let ur body take care of everything as it will
Try to forget about it for now,yes know it's hard
It's all looking normal though

S

SPHW88

I'm now at day 23 post op and preparing for the end of week 4 milestone this weekend. I believe I can shower normally,expose myself to sun and even sunbed etc - not that there is much sun right now and don't plan on using one in the nearest future.

Has anyone got any opinions about showering at this stage?
I've been told I can towel dry and hairdry too but I will be progressive with the pressure and heat. Anyone got any comments?

Much appreciated
S

Philw

Hi mate
Just still use warm shower for now just to be on save side
I would still pay dry with towel for now
Remember u still have to go through the ugly duckling stage before it all falls into place
Try not to think about it now mate

H

Hoping_for_hair

I'd still be careful with the sun - I am ten weeks in and will wear a hat if I am out for more than 15mins or so - just to be safe but then I have more scalp exposed that you :)

I used mild temperature at first and just patted it to dry - no need to be too aggressive rubbing it.

Glad everything is going ok for you so far

S

SPHW88

Thanks guys, Ill give it a go with a mild temperature this weekend then. It would be nice to do something with my hair to be honest and to do that I need it to dry a bit quicker.

So warm temperature, take it easy with the rubbing and just be a bit steady with the sun then.

Any ideas when it's OK to be a bit more rough and take a decent temperature shower?

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Thanks guys, Ill give it a go with a mild temperature this weekend then. It would be nice to do something with my hair to be honest and to do that I need it to dry a bit quicker.

So warm temperature, take it easy with the rubbing and just be a bit steady with the sun then.

Any ideas when it's OK to be a bit more rough and take a decent temperature shower?
Have you contacted the clinic to see what they advise??

S

SPHW88

Have you contacted the clinic to see what they advise??
Yes they said as of this weekend that towel drying, hairdrying, sun and showering are all good from week 4.

Heat from the hairdryer seems to be OK but not sure how firm I'm supposed to be with the towel.

Obviously I won't go crazy but I did assume I must have a bit more freedom to return to more normal routines...

S

SPHW88

Day 30 for me now!

So the most progress has really been made in the Donor area, which still looks a little thin, hoping that it does in fact thicken up slightly but I think it's not bad overall. I've got nothing really to say other than it's been really smooth, the most difficult part is patience. I have been showering since Sunday on a mild temperature and will give it another notch on the heat scale this evening, I'll just keep building it up little by little over the next week or so and if all seems on track I'll shower as normal as I used to. I imagine it's less to do with the grafts and hairs and more to do with the skin healing - would that be correct?
I've also started to get a bit less careful with the towel when drying and nothing has really changed so I guess that's a good sign. Though I wouldn't say I'm going crazy. I'm just hoping I don't do damage further down the line it's obviously something that stays in your mind, does anyone have an opinion on when they truly feel back to normal with such routines? Clinic have said it's ok but I don't want to misunderstand and try anything too risky.

The plan is that I'll go for a haircut in 10 days or so to just tidy up a little and see if I can get away with a more normal style. My hair is quite curly/wavy so now that I have quite a bit of length on top it could use some levelling. You'll notice the part which was shaved back from my original hairline as it's growing back in now. So effectively I have 3 levels haha. Right now I'd say there are some new hairs which are lingering but it definitely looks more sparse, so I think I'm well into the shedding phase or at least I'm hoping that's what it is. How does it look on the outside looking in?

I've been on the forums a little less of late which I think is a reassuring sign, although I try to keep tabs and perhaps contribute I'm feeling less and less like I need answers. Here are some photos I took today, I haven't washed the hair as yet.

Attachments

• Day 30 Donor 1.jpg
    Day 30 Donor 1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Day 30 Donor 2.jpg
    Day 30 Donor 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Day 30 Donor 3.jpg
    Day 30 Donor 3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Day 30 Temple 1.jpg
    Day 30 Temple 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Day 30 Temple 2.jpg
    Day 30 Temple 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Day 30 Temple 3.jpg
    Day 30 Temple 3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Day 30 Temple 4.jpg
    Day 30 Temple 4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 239
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Everything looks pretty normal for 30 days. Your donor is recovering well and will look better once you’ve had your haircut. You are fine to shower and dry your hair vigorously, no harm will come to the grafts or your scalp. I`m assuming you have not got any inflammation.
All you can do now is wait for the growth to happen.

T

Tazza11

Hi mate,

Looking forward to following your progress as your loss is very similar to my own. Looking good so far.

Did you decide to take Finasteride? I was hoping to not have to use it as I feel my loss is pretty stable, though I know it's recommended.

Also, how do you feel with regards to having kept your native hair long on top as opposed to shaving it for the op? Are you happy with that decision in terms of getting the best result and also being able to disguise having work done after?

Thanks

S

SPHW88

Hi mate,

Looking forward to following your progress as your loss is very similar to my own. Looking good so far.

Did you decide to take Finasteride? I was hoping to not have to use it as I feel my loss is pretty stable, though I know it's recommended.

Also, how do you feel with regards to having kept your native hair long on top as opposed to shaving it for the op? Are you happy with that decision in terms of getting the best result and also being able to disguise having work done after?

Thanks
Thanks Tazza I appreciate the message! I'm not actually taking anything right now, I find that I've stabilised and I've bought some Saw Palmetto which I may take further down the line. Everything is going at a good rate so far and I'm healing so I just want to keep everything natural for now.

I definitely am glad to have kept my hair long, I liked having hair on top as it felt more protected with a hat and also I thought the look wasn't too bad when I'd healed after 2 weeks or so. I have always worn a hat when out and about but now that I've had a haircut and my native hair at the front has grown in a bit I can get away with being in public without a hat (about 6 weeks post op). I'm much more comfortable now and I'll keep it a similar length on top for the next few months and it helps that I can cover over the new implanted hairs quite easily. I would recommend it but some others have found it difficult.

This part of the process is difficult as you're just waiting around but it's great feeling growth is just around the corner. My only concern is how the density will come out... I must admit I saw a post recently which showed a lack of density at quite an advanced stage of the process and it's made me slightly nervous.

Thanks
S

T

Tazza11

Thanks Tazza I appreciate the message! I'm not actually taking anything right now, I find that I've stabilised and I've bought some Saw Palmetto which I may take further down the line. Everything is going at a good rate so far and I'm healing so I just want to keep everything natural for now.

I definitely am glad to have kept my hair long, I liked having hair on top as it felt more protected with a hat and also I thought the look wasn't too bad when I'd healed after 2 weeks or so. I have always worn a hat when out and about but now that I've had a haircut and my native hair at the front has grown in a bit I can get away with being in public without a hat (about 6 weeks post op). I'm much more comfortable now and I'll keep it a similar length on top for the next few months and it helps that I can cover over the new implanted hairs quite easily. I would recommend it but some others have found it difficult.

This part of the process is difficult as you're just waiting around but it's great feeling growth is just around the corner. My only concern is how the density will come out... I must admit I saw a post recently which showed a lack of density at quite an advanced stage of the process and it's made me slightly nervous.

Thanks
S
Thanks for your reply mate,

I'll have a look into that Palmetto, did Dr Arshad say anything about you not using fin?

Will likely opt to keep the top long myself then, being able to cover up the hairline whilst the new hair grows in like you say.

I saw the thread you refer to as well, his progress did concern me as I wouldn't be happy with that result. Hopefully it turns out ok for him.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

S

SPHW88

Thanks for your reply mate,

I'll have a look into that Palmetto, did Dr Arshad say anything about you not using fin?

Will likely opt to keep the top long myself then, being able to cover up the hairline whilst the new hair grows in like you say.

I saw the thread you refer to as well, his progress did concern me as I wouldn't be happy with that result. Hopefully it turns out ok for him.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.
hello!

So we only discussed it really as part of the recommendations and it's down to the patient really. My understanding of Finasteride is that it doesn't really affect growth rates but it blocks Testosterone turning into DHT. So it's great for preventing further hairloss and perhaps revives some dormant follicles. All in all I don't think it would affect the new hairs all that much. I suppose it could thicken them up later but depends on the type of hair you donate from.

I also know that Finasteride and Minoxidil can cause a bit of loss initially (don't know the stats), so I thought in the first phases I'd just let it come in naturally and make a decision later.

I've certainly found it beneficial to keep the top long and after my first cut at about 6 weeks it looks really neat. I've been out without a hat quite a few times now and even been to a bar with a few friends this weekend past - no hat. Nobody noticed a thing. My one mate who does know about it actually said he forgot until I asked him at the end of the night.

Yes fingers are crossed for everyone who experiences slower/less growth - I'm a long way from finding out too so I'm a bit nervous.

Let me know how you get on!

I

Im new here

Hi guys

I have been a reader on these forums for a long time now but only just decided I want to get a procedure myself so have only just registered an account.

I have read pretty much every post on here I know who you had yours with and the post you mention with the lower density and I would say you shouldn’t worry so much. I have seen plenty on here who went with the same as you who have had good results and this seems to be the only questionable one I have seen from them so stay positive on the results front!

S

SPHW88

Hi All,

So it's about 11 weeks (2.5 months) since the procedure and since my last post to sum it up I basically shed completely. It was almost smooth on the transplant area in the temples at one point with some light redness which has been fading slowly.

In the Sun
During this time I've been abroad to help my girlfriend move home and been out in +30C heat for 2 weeks, albeit not constantly out in the sun. I think I had two full days in the sun the rest of my exposure was as and when.
I have a ginger/red beard but a sort of dirty blonde/ginger/brown tint in my natural hair colour but I don't burn in the sun or in the heat so if you do, I guess just take extra care. I was just trying to responsible by wearing sun cream to protect the area as much as possible, but I can confirm to anyone who has any concerns that all has been completely fine. I've been able to cover over my transplant areas with my native hair so that has also helped.

Progress
I would say that I've progressed a little. I have some hairs coming through and I didn't look closely for around 4 weeks to see if I could notice differences when the time came and I definitely did this past weekend. My first peak close up was quite promising and gave me a bit of confidence. It's small progress but it has surprised me. See below for some pictures I've taken and labelled for clarity of each stage (couldn't find my pics of my temple at week 6).

Hairstyle/Cuts
I must admit I went rather short on my first cut at about 6 weeks post procedure. The back was probably less than a 2 but I felt like it looked ok. Within a few days it naturally grew in enough to make me feel completely fine at that length but to protect the area I would not go so short in future at least for the first 12 months. The front I left wavy with a bit of length so I could cover over the transplant area just as I mentioned before. I think I've found a style that suits me enough for now. Doesn't take too long to style but I just need to stay out of the strong winds like before haha.
I had a cut at the weekend there and took the back to about a 3 which is definitely more comfortable at this stage.

Hope this helps anyone in their journey or with any decisions. Let me know what you think or if I should take note of anything :).
S

Attachments

• Week 6-7 donor.jpg
    Week 6-7 donor.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Week 11 donor.jpg
    Week 11 donor.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Week 11 temple growth.jpg
    Week 11 temple growth.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 166
  • Week 11 temple growth2.jpg
    Week 11 temple growth2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Week 11 temple growth3.jpg
    Week 11 temple growth3.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Hairstyle for now.jpg
    Hairstyle for now.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 193
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It`s always good to take extra care in the Sun, sounds like you did and everything is fine. Your hair looks better at the number 3 grade and wavy on top, it allows you to cover up the recipient area.
At 2.5 months any new growth is a real plus, hopefully, you’re an early grower.
Thanks for the update.