• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Advice needed on choosing a London Clinic

P

Priceyrice

Hi everyone.

Newbie to the forum here and would be very grateful on any advice or recommendations you may have as to which London Clinic to choose for my hair transplant. By way of some background, I am a 30 year old male who has been balding and thinning since late teens. I am looking to thicken up the top of the head and bring the hairline forward a bit while still trying to look natural

I have had discussions with the following clinics and any comments on these clinics or others in London / S.East of England would be much appreciated.

1. Harley Street Healthcare - hair-transplant-clinics.co.uk
  • Recommended a 2 stage Mega FUE transplant - 2000 grafts each stage (total 4000 grafts) at a cost of £2,800 each - £5,600
  • the two procedures to be 3/6 weeks apart.
  • Procedure to be carried out OR OVERSEEN by principal surgeon (Dr Mohammod)
  • I was on the verge of booking this however have today found this forum and a couple of bad experiences with this clinic - online reviews seem very good though.
  • I am a bit dubious about having 2 operations so close to each other
2. Fortes Clinic - fortesclinic.co.uk/
  • Initial hair transplant of 3000 grafts in one day. To then assess 12 months later if further grafts needed (potentially up to a further 2000).
  • cost of £4,000 for the 3000 grafts
  • I liked the fact my online consultation during Covid was done with the surgeon rather than a salesman - Dr Ahmad Saaed
  • My concern with this clinic is he was pushing me quite hard to take Finesteride - I know the horror stories around this drug and my wife and I plan to start a family soon so keen to stay away from this.
  • Not many reviews for this clinic and can't seem to find them on whatclinic.com
3. Harley Street Hair Clinic - hshairclinic.co.uk/
  • 2 day procedure for a total of 2000 grafts - cost of £7,400
  • I like the fact this is obviously a very famous clinic and the cost represents that.
  • Operation carried out by surgeon and not a technician
  • Dislike - the cost is almost twice as much as the other clinics for far fewer grafts
As you can see from the above there's been a variety of advice and cost which is just making it harder to make a decision. I had been set to book Harley Street Healthcare until I read some bad experiences on here and I have also not been impressed at all with the communication. I am now leaning to Fortes Clinic as HS hair clinic just seems too expensive for the number of grafts.

Any other suggestions or advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Edit - just to add I am not wedded on London and if people recommend clinics elsewhere in the country I would be interested as well.

Edit 2 - I have now also booked a consultation with the Private Clinic and have requested Dr Raghu Reddy after reading some top reviews on other forums. I am also tempted to try the Surgerygroup since their website comes across well and a reasonable cost.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_20200601_152040.jpg
IMG_20200601_152122.jpg

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve never heard of any clinic performing a hair transplant, then doing another 3-6 weeks later. Maybe you should consult with a few more clinics and ask if this is safe and acceptable to do. There are quite a few on here and a search will bring up others based in the UK.
The skill of the doctor and techs are paramount to a successful HT.
As for review sites, they are full of fake reviews that aren`t verified. You could leave a good or bad review right now without any checks.
Are you on any hair loss meds? Even though the grafts are taken from the safer zone, you could still lose them to MPB.

P

Priceyrice

Thank you kindly for the response. I agree the 3-6 week thing seemed very odd to me, that company has now gone quiet on me when i queried it as well.

I'm now in touch with a few more clinics I have found through here and have some more consultations lined up so I will see how they go before making any decisions.

I'm not on any medicine and will discuss this with the surgeon as I am worried about side effects when about to start a family.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Take your time researching. If you're unsure about anything ask on here and we will hopefully be able to help.
Read up on the possible sides and have your questions written down.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

P

Priceyrice

Thanks for your help. I've whittled it down to two possible choices. Dr Saaed at Fortes Clinic in London and Dr Arshad at the Hair Dr in Leeds.

The good thing about the consultation is that I got to speak to the surgeon in both cases and their advice was very consistent and both focused on the best results long term rather than short term gain. Dr Arshad is a fair bit more expensive but there seems to be far more out there about his work.

Dr Saaed is a member of ISHRS, which I assume is a positive and provides some assurances over his skills as well. Do you know anything about this society BigMac?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If you use the search facility on here you will see quite a few threads on the ISHRS.
What I did notice is Dr Saaed does not have many results on his website and none show their hair lifted up to show the hairline. Maybe you could ask him to send you more examples before making your decision.

P

Priceyrice

Thanks, I'll search the ISHRS on here.

I found a couple of references to the fortes clinic in articles about the top clinics in London, but little else. The clinic was mentioned alongside some top ones though. I did speak to
Dr Saeed earlier and mentioned the lack of pictures on his website being a concern and he advised me to look at his Instagram page. I took a look and there are some more results from the past which look good. I would copy the link but it doesn't let me post it. If you wouldn't mind taking a look it would be greatly appreciated. Your advice has been invaluable.

Cheers, Chris

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at his Instagram page. The photo and video quality are poor. In the patient videos the hairlines look coarse and sparse but this could be due to the quality of the video. He needs to present more quality pictures from varying angles with good lighting and most importantly showing the hairlines with the hair lifted up but not pulled tight.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
I just had my HT on Saturday with Dr Arshad and it was a very professional and pleasant experience. Yes there are cheaper places out there but like someone on here mentioned “A cheap HT is never a good HT” If my final results are a good as the service I received was then I’ll be one happy chappy!!

Last edited:
P

Priceyrice

Thanks Bigmac and Baldingman.

I've been following your journey on here Baldingman and it's another example of a positive experience with the hair Dr. I look forward to following your progress as your hair develops.

Thanks to your comments and those of other patients of the hair Dr, along with Bigmac for his advice, I have decided to proceed with the hair Dr. I will be booking in for mid august!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Priceyrice, I`m glad the forum has helped you. It will be great if you could document your surgery in August.
All the best.
Bm.

urbanite88

urbanite88

Hi Priceyrice,

Curious who you ended up choosing/having a procedure with? I am just starting my research into this and have come across some of these clinics but not entirely convinced by Clinics that seem to do other things, so FUE/Hair is not even their main focus.