• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Asking for advice re hair transplant/hairline advancement. 23 year old male.

H

Hemingway

Hi everyone,

I have started to experience hair loss when I turned 21 with recession at temples. I have initially used minoxidil and later finastride. I then switched onto foam minoxidil and eventually just onto finastride, which I have been on for 2 years now. I also microneedle with 0.5cm/1x week.

My hair loss has stabilized and I no longer get shedding. However my hairline has receded. I have a very broad head and big skull which I find very unaesthetic and find the idea of hairline advancement appealing for improving my looks.

I contacted Dr Koray Erdogan for an opinion. In the photos purple line is what I thought might be ideal (but likely unrealistic grafts wise). Dr Erdogan replied and indicated with the green line. I replied asking if he could be slightly more forward on the temples and I am waiting to hear back.

I'm hoping for a long hair FUE so I can get back to work discreetly. I wanted to ask your opinions on how many grafts this might be (they havent quoted me yet) and honestly your opinions on if it's a good idea. Also regarding any opinions on Erdogan's clinics.

Thank you in advance guys

Attachments

• crop1.png
    crop1.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 497
  • crop2.png
    crop2.png
    790.8 KB · Views: 824
  • crop3.png
    crop3.png
    643.4 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC_0344.JPG
    DSC_0344.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 371
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at your Purple hairline I`d say it is too low and represents a lot of risk. You would need up to 3000 grafts to get anywhere near your existing density, then if it never achieved the implanted density I`d say you wouldn’t be happy. You may lose more hair, therefor requiring more transplants.
23 is young, you may lose more hair, although right now your hairline looks ok to me.

If you still decide to go for a Ht, I prefer the green line to strengthen the temple points and I would probably raise the Green line up a little to reduce the number of grafts needed. Around 2000 grafts should be sufficient in my option. Whatever you are quoted by the clinic it may change once you`re in front of the doctor.
When you say long hair fue are you meaning the grafts are long hairs or that you`re not required to shave your donor area?

S

smokeybacon

So, are you 23 now? the meds are working? tbh I am surprised if you are only 23 a dr is happy to do a hair transplant, you read stories warning against it at a young age with small hair loss.

H

Hemingway

Hello guys sorry for not getting back to you at all.

I have been advised by the asmed clinic I should get a full shaven FUE. When I asked if they could go for a partial shave e.g. only shave donor area, I didn't even get a response. I thought it over a bit and decided to take the hit and a full shave. But the fact they didn't even bother replying to me put me off this clinic. Why would I give let a clinic handle something so important if they won't even reply to my emails, even if it is to say "no we can't do a partial".

Thanks for the replies on the hairline. The purple line definitively is not realistic, it just represented my dream ideal. The height of the forehead is not the #1 concern. I think temple coverage is most important for me looks wise. I wouldn't mind if my hairline was less advanced overall as long as the temples are as well covered as they would be with the green line.

I'm weighing my options now and looking at getting something done in my home country (UK) now. But this experience made me realize I should not rush it at all.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Take your time researching until you are comfortable with the clinic of your own choosing. Keep us posted on what you decide.
I would wait though, maybe until you`re 28.
All the best.
Bm.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Definitely dont go with your original planned hairline dude....too low in my opinion, especially considering your age. Good luck with your research buddy.

H

Hemingway

Definitely dont go with your original planned hairline dude....too low in my opinion, especially considering your age. Good luck with your research buddy.

Definitively too low in hindsight. Grafts aside, it would it actually mean my hairline would move up and down if I frown or raise my eyebrows. I have quite a lot of insecurity around the size of my forehead and I suppose this is why hair loss in particular has been quite distressing.

I've consulted with the Hair Dr clinic after seeing some really amazing looking transplant on this forum. The clinic agreed to go to the green line which is all I could ask for; 3000 grafts for £9000. The reviews and testimonies seem to be very positive and I certainly cannot find much if anything negative about Dr. Arshad so I think I will go with this clinic.

I have been offered late January which is pretty exciting - much sooner than I was previously planning. I was very surprised to see the affordable prices of UK clinics compared to turkish; I was always under the impression they would be very unaffordable and a foreign country transplant was my only option.

yidd0

yidd0

Fair play to you for a wanting to go ahead , I remember being in your position and my hair was a lot worse than yours at 23.

just my opinion as a 40 year old, to a 23 year old , Is wait ! I was desperate at 23 but waited untill I was 37.
You have a good head of hair , there is no rush . Let your hair loss pattern develop untill your 30’s. Using up 3000 grafts at 23 when you have a good healthy head of hair is an unnecessary risk IMO .

but good luck with whatever you decide

C

Coopman

Valued member
I echo what yidd0 says.

Meds that you are taking could lose their effectiveness in the next couple of years, particularly the Rogaine. If you have 3000 grafts at the front at your age what happens when your existing hairline recedes further back or your existing hair becomes thinner?

To the average person in the street you do not have a hairloss problem. When you are 30, 35 years old you would probably accept the hairline you have now.

Your choice at the end of the day. But before you jump in why not pay a couple of hundred pounds and chat to some other reputable UK surgeons about hairline placement and future hairloss. 3000 grafts may be wonderful for a couple of years but what is the back up plan when your existing hair goes further backwards. You may have wonderful graft density, but if you have 3000 grafts to the hairline at 23, at best you may only have 3000 grafts left for the rest. Not good if you are destined to be a NW6 or NW 7 if the worse happens.

Food for thought.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
I would wait on getting a HT yet, your hairline looks good to me. Keep on the meds for the time being.

H

Hemingway

Thank you all for opinions; all of it is good advice. I understand the misgivings some of you have as I am very young and very early in hair loss.

I have decided to go through with it knowing all of this. Part of that is I have harbored some ambitions of having hairline advancement even before hair loss. Because I have quite a large forehead I also feel even minor hair loss is quite aesthetically damaging.

I am scheduled for the transplant 7 weeks from now at the Hair Dr. I will you keep updated with post op results.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck with it, I hope everything works out well for you.

abhinavbhatt

abhinavbhatt

Hi,
The main reasons for a need for repeat hair transplant sessions are: Achieving natural-looking density comes through a second or multiple transplant sessions. The donor area is limited as only 1500-2000 grafts can be harvested safely in a single transplant session.
Best wishes

P

Philwhitehouseuk

Ur hairline looks good
If it was me dont have a hair transplant
Just stay on the meds only
U have to remember as u age ur face shape etc will change as well
My opinion just keep doing what u are doing
DONT have a transplant cos it could make matters worse

H

Hatmat

Hi ALL. I have been researching for hair transplantation for a long time. I contacted a Hair Transplant Center from Istanbul. Their price is pretty good and lovely customer service.