• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Bad hair transplant!... Shave your head?

H

Hollinrj

Guys.

I’m looking around seeing what people do if they have a bad hair transplant or are unhappy with there result.

I have seen a lot about repair jobs but what I’m looking for is different.

if you have high expectations and they are not met, you may decide not to get a 2nd HT so just brace the shave instead.

if you shave your head a year or two after your transplant does this look like a normal buzz cut or is it very obvious you have had a hair transplant?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If you have suffered a bad hair transplant there will usually be telltale signs such as Fut or Fue scarring, possibly pitting.
If it’s you’re not happy with the growth, your expectations not met, then shaving it down should be ok providing you don’t have excessive scarring.
SMP is an option to help hide any scarring.

Have you had an HT?

H

Hollinrj

If you have suffered a bad hair transplant there will usually be tell tale signs such as Fut or Fue scarring, possibly pitting.
If it’s you’re not happy with the growth, expectations not net, then shaving it down should be ok providing you don’t have excessive scars.
SMP is an option to help hide any scarring.

Have you had an HT?

Thanks for the reply.

I have not had one yet, I’m concerned about having one but then either suffering more hair loss or not being fully happy with the results.

I have never seen someone’s name photos or videos who have shaved there head a few years after having an HT.

Thanks for the reply.

I have no had one yet, I’m concerned about having one but then either suffering more hairloss or not being fully happy with the results.

I have never seen someone’s name photos or videos who have shaved there head a few years after having a HT.

Hello @Hollinrj , there are quite a few issues that you raise here, The first is the potential for future hair loss after an initial hair transplant. Prior to considering a hair transplant often it´s prudent to look at hair retention. Your age, current hair loss pattern, family hair loss patterns overtime in relation to yours today. Whether you have used treatment or willing to use treatment. How well treatment manages to stabilise and maybe improve your hair and whether you will continue long-term after a hair transplant. These are issues you need to think of and discuss with a hair restoration surgeon as it will affect the planning of your hair restoration.

If your expectations are high, there is nothing wrong with that as long as they are realistic and can be achieved technically and will look natural long-term. Expectations are important to qualify again with a hair restoration surgeon prior to making any decision. A perfectly good hair transplant can be performed but if the individual had different ideas then it could result in them being unhappy. If your expectations are unrealistic on a technical or aesthetic level then it´s best to not have a hair transplant in the first place.

It´s important for everyone to appreciate a hair transplant is a surgical procedure. Regardless of the technique scarring, hopefully minimal, but will be left. The scalp is changed in both the recipient and donor areas. Shaved or longer hair on inspection it maybe possible to see a surgical procedure has been performed. Obviously a competent and experienced surgeon the negative changes will be very minimal. It sounds like you are doing the right things and researching, this will help you to first qualify if your expectations are realistic as well as finding the Dr you feel is right for you. As a result, greatly minimising the chances you will not be happy. Hope your research goes well.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Some great advice given to you by HairDrClinic.
Joe Rogan had a hair transplant or two before shaving it all off.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Great post and highlights why you should go to a good clinic in the first place.....if you have FUT and shave right down the scar will obviously be noticeable in the donor area..... although it can be minimized with SMP to some degree.

FUE too will show scars if shaven right down and clinics who say its scarless are lying.... but the degree they show will really depend on the quality of the surgeon, the amount of extractions taken in the first place and the extraction pattern.......that being said with a good clinic and an experienced doctor who uses small punches then the area can be shaved right down without the public thinking anything untoward has happened......and as the guys have mentioned SMP will help disguise things should you feel like doing so dude.

Great advice given from everyone here.

S

SeanFUE

Nothing is scarless. I've been scarred and need repairs to get out of this mess. I had FUE. Cobblestoning, ridging, shockloss, donor decimation, you name it. Your concerns are pretty valid. In the end, ethics matter. A proper surgical protocol also matters that is safer for a patient given how risky the surgery is. Definitely, do more research and think it through before you select a surgeon. There’s a lot of deception out there and some surgeons fail to inform properly.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
How much hair loss do you currently have? Maybe the hair loss medications are an option for you

C

Cocey2002

Guys.

I’m looking around seeing what people do if they have a bad hair transplant or are unhappy with there result.

I have seen a lot about repair jobs but what I’m looking for is different.

if you have high expectations and they are not met, you may decide not to get a 2nd HT so just brace the shave instead.

if you shave your head a year or two after your transplant does this look like a normal buzz cut or is it very obvious you have had a hair transplant?
I had 2 surgeries in the early 90s when I was 23. They worked fine for a few years but my hairline continued to recede. After dealing with this for many years I just decided to shave my head a few weeks ago. Yes I have scars that I will either accept or maybe get worked on in the future. I’m 50 now and it doesn’t bother me all that much that I have scars. I wish I could hit the reset button but it is what it is. My wife is fine with my bald head lol. It’s a relief to not have to get up each morning and style my hair which I’m sure everyone knew I had a hair transplant. This is a case of there are consequences for ones actions. I would love to have just a plain bald head. I actually like the way I look bald and never really was happy with the transplanted hair.

Last edited:
Dr Arvind

Dr Arvind

Valued member
I bet there are many who wish they buzzed their heads.
I agree... a major regret for people who have got a bad hair transplant is that they would have been much better off without ht had they just reconciled to buzzing their head.
I repeat... if you have any doubts do not go for a HT. Its a lifelong commitment.

Regards,
Dr. A

T

Todd

I had 2 surgeries in the early 90s when I was 23. They worked fine for a few years but my hairline continued to recede. After dealing with this for many years I just decided to shave my head a few weeks ago. Yes I have scars that I will either accept or maybe get worked on in the future. I’m 50 now and it doesn’t bother me all that much that I have scars. I wish I could hit the reset button but it is what it is. My wife is fine with my bald head lol. It’s a relief to not have to get up each morning and style my hair which I’m sure everyone knew I had a hair transplant. This is a case of there are consequences for ones actions. I would love to have just a plain bald head. I actually like the way I look bald and never really was happy with the transplanted hair.

Wow, 23 and having two strip surgeries. Are the scars big long ones? I think a lot of scarred heads can be passed off as having some sort of accident if people ever ask. Most people will simply look and say nothing.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
This is a worry of mine. If your head is full of white scars or long strip scars it will look a lot worse if you decide to shave it all off. The risk of continually loosing my hair, I could end up looking like a freak show and regretting ever having something done. I’ll be happy if I can keep the hair I’ve got right now, if it stabilises for a few years I may consider Fue.