• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Bloodwork prior to hair transplant.

E

EURICO

Is bloodwork a requirement before proceeding with a hair transplant? If so how much does it cost and where do you go to have it carried out?

H

hairtech

Good question. Here in the United States it is not required by any clinic as a state or federal law. However if the clinic (HT) has a standard practice of blood work prior to a surgery, then it is usually drawn from your private/family/general physician's office. Or you can ask the HT clinic to order the blood work for you and you go to your local laboratory.

Cost varies depending on the tests they want.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If you are in the UK you can get this done at your local G.U.M clinic for around £30.Check with the clinic you are thinking of using if they require it.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
We do check HIV, Hep, coagulation, as a precautionary for all concerned, but nothing to do with acceptance for a procedure. Also Dr. B finds it can help sometimes with the dosage level of meds he gives and on a few occasions it has shown some patient's levels to be slightly low that they were not aware of so they could visit their GP and have a proper check.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
I do have to say my bloodwork at BHR went very smooth and Natascha did a wonderful job. It might not matter for some, but for some reason my eyes always roll into the back of my head and I pass out. I am not sure why because I don't have a problem with pain. It has even had happened while I have been in the reclined position.

Even my longtime girlfriend was worried because on my last blood test we were together. She had to slap me in the face a few times to bring me back and I think it really shook her up a bit. But Natascha really did a wonderful job and was very gentle, which made all the difference.

I don't say any of this too lightly. It was really one of my biggest concerns and I mentioned to BHR a few times before ever having my procedure.

Last edited:
E

EURICO

Still confused a little, can you have the bloodwork carried out on the day of surgery?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
You usually need to have your bloodwork done a few weeks prior to surgery to give time for your results to come through.

T.C

T.C

Topccat29, which blood tests did BHR do for you ?,was under the impression you had to do them prior to the day.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Hey, how did you get my picture? LOL

I'm not sure about what was being tested. I would imagine HIV and Hepatitis but maybe Stephen can comment.

garageland

garageland

Valued member
Depends clinic to clinic, no blood work is required if having surgery at Hasson And Wong

T.C

T.C

Maybe we can get a list of clinics here that do or dont require bloodwork .Might be useful for people to know.

V

vnspramod

It is critical to choose an appropriate physician to perform your hair transplant surgery. All of the today €™s advanced techniques of hair transplant have to be performed by highly qualified and skilled physicians with a comprehensive experience in hair transplantation.