• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Buying Proscar

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Hi all..

I have been on Proscar for a year now... I have about 2 months supply left so I will be looking to get more soon.

I have assumed that I will obtain them from the same person, Dr Ashcroft.... but are there any alternatives.

I paid about £120 last time for my prescription of enough tablets when cut into 5 pieces and taken everyday last about 14 months.

Cheers all

Tim

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tim

Maybe try your own GP as i know a few others get it from them and it works out real cheap.

Otherwise the only other alternative is online pharmacies.

W

weefy

Valued member
Hi Guys

new here, although been lurking for some time. I had a very pleasent conversation with Matt at smg as Iam looking for another ht ( previous ones carried out a few years ago and are staarting to look like dreadful ) anyway, Matt has recomended I go onto proscar as I currently do not use any medication. Reasons I haven't are my concerns at the side effect. I have read what seams to be every positive / negative to this medication. My only concern is relating to the pregnancy thing. My wife is pregnant ( 4 months ) an Iam concerned if I would be putting ANY risk to my un born child. I have read the warnings of not letting pregnant woman take tablets / touch tablets etc, but I would like any ones opinion / experiance if they have / are in my position. I would not do anything to harm our future child and that is what scares me, although Matt gave me some very big assurances that things would be ok

thanks in advance

weef

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Weefy

Welcome to the forum.

I started Proscar in 2005,6 months later my GF was pregnant,We had a healthy baby boy who is now 3 1/5 years old with no problems.

I have continued taking Proscar from my start date too.I`ve experienced no side effects either.

Imo you,your wife and unborn child will be fine.

Congratulations too,will this be your first child.

You could always ask your GP too just to reassure yourself.

Sorry to hear your previous work is now obvious.

Cheers bm.

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
In my personal experience with proscar I went to my GP to ask about it and the side effects and he didn't have a clue about proscar really. I don't know if it's just welsh doctors who are pretty clueless about the drug or it's a UK thing *nl. However, I would personally ask Dr Ashcroft about the matter in question as he seems to know alot more about the drug than most other Dr's. Thats if reassure is what you are looking for.

Last edited:
W

weefy

Valued member
Thanks guys

I have read the net doctors advise. That is the pproblem, they realisticaly have to give a " heads up " on potential problems , I suppose so they dont get sued ( as this is the society we now live in ) thats why I needed peoples " first hand experiance " at this. Hi Bigmac, Matt @ smg said the same thing as I think he has been on it for at least 10 years and has a beautiful family.

Well I intend to order some and see how it goes. Already gone through where I would cut the tablets / wearing gloves etc , call my over cautious , but hay , its a child we are talking about !!

Kepp up the good work on this forum guys, your posts / threads / experiances at the smg is taking me to go with them. I can't make the visitis in London unfortunalty.

cheers

weef

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Shame you cant make the meet up as its good to meet patients.

You are correct about they have to give info on the possible side effects of Proscar.

I know plenty of other guys who have been on Procar too with no problems and have fathered children.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Weefy

You should go see yur own GP too as if he will prescribe it for you,it will work out lots cheaper

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
Hi Weefy

I have been taking Proscar for 6 years and fathered a baby girl, 7 months ago. I did some research into this for obvious reasons, as I would have been devastated, had my vanity been the cause of problems with the baby. I found that most of the research suggested that there is a 'theoretical risk' of finisteride causing problems associated with MALE babies. In fact, I think one study claimed that this risk only became apparent during certain weeks of the pregnancy i.e. when the genitals are forming, so I suppose you could abstain from sex during this period. Also, many studies relate to the female rats ingesting large amounts, rather than via sperm, so maybe the risk via sperm is even smaller. However, I am not a doctor so you need to make up your own mind, and I must confess that I was pleased when I discovered that we were having a girl.

Also, on another note, I never told my wife I was taking this stuff, and she came across them one day- she went bananas, especially when she found out about the risk, and I had a bit of a time explaining that the risk is negligible.

Cheers

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi Weefy,

Welcome! :)

We have our patients sign a consent form stating they are well informed of taking finasteride. As far as putting your unborn child in danger - I've not heard of anyone experiencing it. Just make sure your wife does not come in contact with the pills itself.

If you do plan on starting up with Proscar - be sure to cut one pill as needed only. Do not cut up the pill ahead of time in preparation for days ahead. It's my understanding that the medication can lose it's effectiveness when exposed to the air. So cut off just what you need for the day only.

Best of luck with the meds and your hair restoration goals and expectations.

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
Janna,

I spoke to Dr Feriduni about this and in Belgium, the pharmacy offer a service where they crush the Proscar and then deposit 1 mg into those little gelatine capsules, so you know you are getting the correct dose.

I told him that I bite mine and he was horrified.

In your opinion, what is the best way to divide the Proscar tablet up? Is it better to take a tablet and then cut off a portion each day, storing the tablet in something airtight?

janna

janna

Valuable Member
How much extra does the pharmacy charge for this service? That's great if you can get 1mg fin cheaper by doing this. This is probably the best way so you are getting even dose each day.

"Is it better to take a tablet and then cut off a portion each day, storing the tablet in something airtight?"

Yes! :)

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
- I think he mentioned that a packet cost 25 euros per month- he asked whether it would be worth me getting 6 months supply and taking it back to the UK, but I get mine from my GP so it wasn't worth it.

I will stop biting the tablets and start cutting them!

Cheers

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
I just bite mine, I didnt realise it was such a science.:T:

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I cut one tablet into fifths and store them in a medicine/tablet container,seems to be ok

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Weefy,

As far as I have read you are cool with your unborn child. Just try to avoid your wife juggling the pills. As far as other sides, here is a pictoral of me and my friends. I am the guy on fin on the far left.;;D

NN

Attachments

• e32b1b64.gif
    e32b1b64.gif
    196.1 KB · Views: 596
Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
)(_:: I can't help but bust a gut over this one. Ha ha. Holy shit. Hopefully NG2GB will see this. He will love it and I know he needs a laugh. ::}{:

NN

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
lol NN that €™s a comical little clip )(_::.

I'd say i'm the guy on the fin after the devils intervention :T:.