• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Can FUE yeild be high?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
The debate about FUE yield continues on and is obviously and needed to be because if yield is poor compared to that of FUT then it should be discussed as to the reason why; is it the technique or the way the technique is being performed.

Having had a few FUE ops now I think I can write with a degree of knowledge and having now had the opportunity to sit in on many FUE ops can see from the other side. FUE is a technically difficult and demanding technique that should not be doubted, it holds many complications compared to FUT and yes due to the multiple extractions required the chance of error is higher just in the law of averages.

Although the technique is demanding that does not mean the yield cannot be as good as that of a well performed FUT procedure; all it means is that certain protocols have to be adhered to. Going back to how demanding FUE is, basically it is a blind extraction technique, this we have said many times. The touch between punch and skin tissue is very important to be able to feel the FU when punching; the angle of extraction will change dependent on the hair direction and the area of the scalp. There are many other aspects such as depth control of the punch but my point being is when extracting hundreds if not thousands of single extractions the potential for error increases and so the technique required a vast amount of understanding, skill, patience and dedication, and in my opinion a real love for it.

FUE grafts are generally leaner than FUT, they require to be handled in a different manner when being placed, and it is easier to damage an FUE graft compared to a FUT. Again though, this does not mean it is a foregone conclusion that FUE will produce a lower yield but does mean greater technique is required. I have been fortunate I guess with my FUE, certainly compared to some I have talked to and met; same procedure but very different results, and the same can be said with FUT, unfortunately poor work is still being carried out, but we should not immediately look at the technique and blame that but also look how it can be improved and performed to a higher standard.

I know since my first op with Dr. Bisanga he has changed some aspects of his extraction technique, this is over the last 3 years or so, this is progressive and has happened because now with the amount of FUE €™s he has performed and on a regular basis he has had the experience to assess where he can improve. He set protocols not just for the extraction per se but harvesting rules, amount he will remove per operation, the % of removal per surface area. These protocols have not happened by chance, or because they sound good, they are in place because he has found they can give him and the patient the best results.

There is always room for improvement, and we should never feel we know it all or bat 100% all the time, totally arrogant and impossible. FUE is hard, never underestimate, it is hard to get low transection, it is hard to have minimal to no visible scarring, it is hard to get yield rates akin to FUT, but in the right hands it is not impossible.

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Nice informative post,its good to hear that Dr Bisanga is continueing to improve his skill,thus reduce the transection rate and produce a better growth yield.

I`ll look forward to reading more from BHR clinic on how they are striving to improve hair transplant surgery in general.

Thanks bm.

S

scarred5

Valued member
its also been my experience that i heal much better from a manual punch, i went to ghi and although the growth was poor, he took alot of grafts from the nape and it healed very well, id say pretty much undetectable, its most important to go to a top clinic and do it right the first time be it strip or fue, which is the most cost and time effiecient way to guarantee success,

D

Derma-Plast

Valued Member
What is the yield you would consider high (or average) from FUT compared to that from FUE?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Hi scarred,

Your thoughts are well appreciated considering the experiences you have gone through, you can certainly be considered knowledgeable on both forms of extraction with FUE.

Dr. B has always been an advocate to manual, never seeing the need or improvement in the technique to change. Especially over the last 2 years when other tools have been promoted he has found that donor management has decreased and donor scarring increased on the cases he has seen from the new technology. The manual aspect maybe slower but certainly in his view gives greater accuracy and improved donor healing as well as graft survival.

Hope you are well, speak soon

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that 90% is good but would strive for more as it still works out as a lot of lost grafts if say getting a 2000 graft procedure performed.

H

hairtech

This is a very very highly debated topic! And in my opinion, the yield aspect has so many variables.

That in itself provides no definitive answer to a yield in hair transplants... and that being comparative to a strip yield.

However I know for a fact that a manual FUE extraction still has an advantage over a mechanical extraction...

Hopefully this will change.