• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Confused over different quotes

L

Leighroy

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-19 at 08.35.56 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-10-19 at 08.35.56.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-10-19 at 08.35.56 (4).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-10-19 at 08.35.56 (2).jpeg

Hi All

Im looking for help choosing a clinic to go with. I am 44 years old and decided to finally look at a hair transplant. I have had 3 consultations with 3 clinics. All have come back with varying quotes and graft numbers:

1. Hair Clinic Dewsbury (would be my preferred choice as its the an easy one for me to get to)
"4000 FUE grafts (+/- 10 %), to provide a dense and fuller,
hairline, crown and temple areas"

2. Vince hair clinic in Harley Street with Dr Sebastian (Cant find much about him, does anyone have any opinions on him ?)
This is the cheapest of the three, being half price of the Hair clinic
"The Chief Surgeon oversees our 4 surgery rooms in Harley Street. In his expert opinion, 3000 Grafts is close to the absolute maximum number of grafts we would be able to use, other wise the donor area would be start to look devastated (including a PRP follow up treatment)"

3. Hillside hair clinic - Nottingham
"Following the consultation we advise around 3000 grafts spread over the crown/top (not including the thinning as this could damage existing week hairs) and strengthen hairline. We discussed FUE (Follicular unit extraction) treatment performed in our clinic in Nottingham."
The price for this is slap bang in the middle of Hair clinic and Hillside

With the 3 differing prices and recommended amount of grafts it just got confusing. I can see that the Hair dr gets great reviews on here and would probably be my chosen option straight away if they weren't twice the price. Getting to London would be more of a pain but the price is very attractive with Vinci but it does make me question why are they much cheaper ?
I want to go for the best surgeon out of the three so would in the end probably pay the Hair Dr price if it looks from my research like they are the best one. Just wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts while im doing my research

Final point. I was recommended Finasteride for 12 months after. I have refused that as I take medication for OCD and I cant have anything interfering with that. So this is also a concern. One of the consultants says it should be fine but may mean I could need another transplant further down the line ? Is it worth going through with a HT without the medication afterwards or am I wasting my money ?

Thanks for any thoughts on this

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Here is my take on this Leighroy. I spent over 7 years researching my HT and like most people price was a massive factor. Around 7 years ago I went to Vinci in London for a consultation as my first thought was oh it’s on harley Street it must be good. The consultation was regarding the FUT procedure as it was cheaper and money was really playing a big part in my choice. For me the consultation didn’t feel right I never saw a doctor just a representative so this put hold on my HT. After a few more years of research I’d kind of narrowed my search down to having Dr De Reys in Belgium do it. Price was good, I’d seen quite a few good results and he used to work at the ProHair Clinic in Belgium. My goal was to get one HT to sort my crown, hairline and thinning middle (run way) area as my wife and son called it. I am a school teacher and play in a band so getting the time off played a massive part in when and where I could get my HT done. I them stumbled on The Hair Dr due to this forum and people documenting their journeys. Like you I was quoted around the 4000 graph mark which was nearly double the cost of what Dr De Reys charges as he only quoted me 3000 graphs. Then lock down hit this gave me a perfect opportunity to get a HT as gigs were cancelled and schools were shut, only problem was that travelling abroad was out of the question. So I thought to myself do I put the HT off longer or bite the bullet pay a little extra and have the HT done in this country which obviously gives me a little piece of mind if there are any issues later down the line.
What I will say is not once have I had any regrets with what I paid. I’m 14 weeks post HT and the confidence and self esteem the HT has given me is worth every single penny. Yes maybe I could have got the same result from Dr De Reys but the Hair Dr team were very professional from day one and still respond quickly to my occasional question when I message them. So what I’m saying here is don’t let money just be the determining factor on a HT, my experience with the Hair Dr was first class and I’m a very happy non balding man now.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If you can, look at results and patient reviews of the doctors who will do the surgery. A price is only an option if you think the doctors produce near enough the same quality of work.

Here is my take on this Leighroy. I spent over 7 years researching my HT and like most people price was a massive factor. Around 7 years ago I went to Vinci in London for a consultation as my first thought was oh it’s on harley Street it must be good. The consultation was regarding the FUT procedure as it was cheaper and money was really playing a big part in my choice. For me the consultation didn’t feel right I never saw a doctor just a representative so this put hold on my HT. After a few more years of research I’d kind of narrowed my search down to having Dr De Reys in Belgium do it. Price was good, I’d seen quite a few good results and he used to work at the ProHair Clinic in Belgium. My goal was to get one HT to sort my crown, hairline and thinning middle (run way) area as my wife and son called it. I am a school teacher and play in a band so getting the time off played a massive part in when and where I could get my HT done. I them stumbled on The Hair Dr due to this forum and people documenting their journeys. Like you I was quoted around the 4000 graph mark which was nearly double the cost of what Dr De Reys charges as he only quoted me 3000 graphs. Then lock down hit this gave me a perfect opportunity to get a HT as gigs were cancelled and schools were shut, only problem was that travelling abroad was out of the question. So I thought to myself do I put the HT off longer or bite the bullet pay a little extra and have the HT done in this country which obviously gives me a little piece of mind if there are any issues later down the line.
What I will say is not once have I had any regrets with what I paid. I’m 14 weeks post HT and the confidence and self esteem the HT has given me is worth every single penny. Yes maybe I could have got the same result from Dr De Reys but the Hair Dr team were very professional from day one and still respond quickly to my occasional question when I message them. So what I’m saying here is don’t let money just be the determining factor on a HT, my experience with the Hair Dr was first class and I’m a very happy non balding man now.

Thank you for the explanation and kind words @Baldingman23

M

Matt88

Hi Leighroy,

Thanks for this post and I completely understand the confusion you're facing right now - I've been there. Ultimately, feeling confident in the result and knowing I'd be able to ask ongoing questions to the surgeon was as important as the quality of the procedure itself. That's why I chose The Hair Dr where I had my HT five days ago (here's my blog https://www.hairlossexperiences.com...-the-hair-dr-–-3149-grafts-–-12-11-2020.9824/).

I really couldn't be happier. Dr Arshad and his team really are the nicest people, they empathise and they do their best to prepare you for life post-HT. Dr Arshad carries out many procedures and I don't think he would quote 4000 grafts if he didn't think that would be of benefit to you. They also don't sugarcoat the facts and are very honest in their intial appraisals. For someone like me who is prone to anxiety and over-thinking of seemingly trivial matters, this truly is priceless. If it's also the closest clinic to you, then that's just the icing on the cake, but by no means a deal-breaker.

If Dr Arshad charges more, then it's because the quality of his work and follow-up is worth that, in my honest opinion. As you've said, you've read other people's journeys and we're all saying the same good things about The Hair Dr.

Overall, if you can afford The Hair Dr and if, deep down, it is your first choice, then that's where I would go. It's taken me a good five years to save up for my own procedure, but the way I looked at it was "what's the real significance of £X000 across the lifespan if I can have peace of mind about the future state of my hair now?". Money comes and goes. Hair just...goes, unless we make the right choices about it. My risk-averse, calculated thinking made The Hair Dr my number one choice.

Regarding Finasteride, I'm sure Dr Arshad would be happy to provide with the facts. Your hair transplant will never be a waste of money if it's done by the right surgeon and leaves you feeling better about yourself. That said, a hair transplant in some regards is a life-long commitment and Finasteride seems to feature in the long-term thereafter. I had the same questions in my research and ultimately chose to focus on the best head of hair I could achieve, but everyone has their own unique situation to consider.

Hope that helps and best wishes,
Matt