• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Considering Shapiro Medical Group

R

RonBurgundy

Valued member
I'm thinking about taking the plunge this year. If I have HT surgery soon, I think it will blend well with my current look. If I wait much longer, it will be a very noticeable contrast on me and I don't want that. I still have some coverage on top, but it is well below 50%, perhaps below 25%.

I'm worried about timing. I'd like to be sure to allow enough time for my red scabs to be gone before I go back to work. My job includes lots of meetings and presentations, and I don't want my audience to be distracted by my head.

Is 10 days enough? I have a family vacation scheduled this fall, and think if I timed it a few days prior to that vacation, I'd have a nice long 10-day block of being just with the people who know me best. Or would it be risky to leave for someplace where I don't know the medical facilities within 3 days of having my HT?

Thanks a bunch. I hear good things about SMG and have no fears about who will be doing the procedure.

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Ron,welcome to the forum.

10 days may be enough,it all depends on how you heal,how many grafts you get,if you shave down or not.

Notgoingtogobald has just buzzed his hair down,you can look at his pictures to get an idea of what you would like like.

Have you any pictures you can post to show your current situation.

Thanks bm.

Masher

Masher

Hi Ron, at least you share the same name as the great man himself!
I am traveling from the UK to the states for my 2nd procedure-the first one took place some 16 years ago in the UK.
Having met Ron and Janna and having my hair situation looked at by the good Doc-it was obvious how passionate they both are about patient care and the very best natural looking result.
For me its about the hair line and my personal choice is density over coverage.I am lucky in that I have very silky lush body hair and its always at the back of my mind to use this when my main donor is used up.We are punting for 2500 grafts on the first procedure (strip)and 1000 for the 2nd FUE.I honestly believe that by that point Sir Ron will be up to speed with BH FUE and I will have further options.I still think I will be looking at most of the 2nd in the front still as a solid dense hairline is more important to me than a thinning crown:)
I would give yourself 2 weeks to get over the surgery-sleeping/scabs work etc but the

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Hi Ron,
You've certainly picked one of the best in the world. Having just done it, by day ten most of my scabs were gone (that said I can hide them with hair) - if you could give yourself a few more days like Masher mentions i.e. say 14 that would be even better. The Graftcyte spray SMG give you really seems to take the redness away quickly. Are you on any meds by the way?

Hi Masher
When are you off for your ht?

R

RonBurgundy

Valued member
You guys are great. Thanks for the input.

I have enough hair on top right now (and I'm relatively tall so not too many people look at my scalp when they are talking to me) so i really think i could do this surgery and with a couple weeks off be back to normal.

How quickly after the HT did you guys go home? Did you need to hang around the medical office vicinity for a few days, or is that not necessary.

I started taking Rogaine last month, and am scheduled to talk to my primary care doc about Propecia soon. Until now, the scalp coverage has been "good enough" so I've been avoiding it. Recently, though, it just hit that stage where suddenly you can see way to much. The fact is I've probably been under 50% coverage for a long time.

I'm looking for reinforcements, not a significantly lower hairline. That is why I think I can do this without a ton of people knowing. Even if they do, who cares, but I'd prefer for the focus to me on what I'm saying and not on my hair:)

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Doubt you'll need to hang around for a few days. Most guys seem to travel home the next day. Propecia and Rogaine are good moves. Depending on your hair length and style it might be worth looking at some concealer products - even just for short term post-op - some give amazing results.

Spencer Kobren

Spencer Kobren

10 days should be enough time and you €™ll be in great hands with SMG.
Good Luck!

SpencerZ:B

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
you have chosen a fantastic operation in smg and im sure that if you go ahead you will be 110 percent happy with the outcome, im coming up to four months from my procedure and couldn't be happier with how things are going.

You have a great opportunity to ask questions before hand now your a member on this great forum as there is a number of former patients who frequent from time to time that will gladly offer you advice regarding your ht including myself
best wishes bullit

ps the graftcyte spray is remarkable at reducing the redness i loved it dude:)

M

mountinvan

Valued member
When are we going to see your results Bullitnut? The curiousity is killing us!:)

Masher

Masher

Hi BP dude! I am getting booked in for late October this year ;)

janna

janna

Valuable Member
RonBurgundy wrote:
Is 10 days enough? I have a family vacation scheduled this fall, and think if I timed it a few days prior to that vacation, I'd have a nice long 10-day block of being just with the people who know me best. Or would it be risky to leave for someplace where I don't know the medical facilities within 3 days of having my HT?

Thanks a bunch. I hear good things about SMG and have no fears about who will be doing the procedure.

Hi Ron,

Have you had a consult with Matt yet? I'm sure he'd be able to provide pictures of our patients at 10 days post op of other patients in similar situation as you so you can get a good idea what to expect. What state/country do you live in?