• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Correcting FUE Work - Dr. Ron Shapiro

janna

janna

Valuable Member
CORRECTIVE FUE WORK ON YOUNG PATIENT (mid 20`s)

A young patient went to another clinic for FUE work. His receding hairline bothered him a great deal so when he heard he could gain back all that he had lost, he was thrilled at the prospect. However, as we`ve seen so many times, young patients are vulnerable and can fall for unrealistic promises. The result is afterwards they are left with a lot less money and a head of hair that needs to be repaired. This is what has happened with this patient. After the hairs grew out, the patient realized it was unnatural with the hairline being too low, hairs growing in the wrong direction and the anterior edge being too harsh and straight. He noticed he was already starting to thin behind the transplanted hairs and worried about how this would appear if future loss continued. He did not want to end up with an unnatural ring of hairs in the front with little hair behind it.

He contacted Shapiro Medical when he realized his initial HT goals were not met. He sent SMG several pictures to be evaluated. While we could see why he was not happy with his end result from his pictures, it wasn`t until Dr. Shapiro met him in person that he was able to thoroughly evaluate and assess what needed to be done to create a more natural look.

What needs to be corrected?

1) Hairline too low, especially with patient being so young with potential for future loss.

2) Hairline noticeably asymmetrical.

3) Number of 2 hair grafts at the hairline.

4) Hairs growing out in the wrong directions.

5) 2400 grafts have already been used - depleting donor supply, therefore, care must be taken to use rest of the donor supply efficiently as possible to not waste any donor.

As in many REPAIR cases, it is necessary to conduct the repair cases over multiple sessions to get the best results. In this case, the first session was used to punch out as many grafts as possible that were transplanted too low, too big, or growing in unnatural directions. We recycled the punched out hairs further back where the appropriate hairline should have been. At the end of our first session, a total of 226 grafts were replanted. The plan for the next punch out session will be to repeat this process. The hope is that these two sessions will get rid of most of the grafts that were planted too low. Afterwards in a final and third session, a regular FUE session with predominantly 1 hair grafts to recreate a natural anterior border hairline will be performed. The number of grafts needed will be determined at that time. We've had good results with this approach in the pass.

Typically, the tiny holes left by the punches heal well with minimal scarring or notice-ability.
Slide2.jpg
Slide4.jpg
Slide5.jpg
Slide7a.jpg
Slide8.jpg
Slide9.jpg
Slide16.jpg
Slide13.jpg
Slide15.jpg

[align=left] [/align]

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Here's a very short clip of the punch outs:

I will update this patient's progress next time he comes in to show how he has healed.

Last edited:
V

VCM761

Too bad the original doctor performed sub-par work on this young patient. Were all the punch outs single grafts?

J

JJ09

I can relate to this patients story except the hairline I received was much worst.;ss;

Janna, what type of FUE instrument is being used in the video, drill/manual?

janna

janna

Valuable Member
The punch outs were done manually with a 1mm size super punch. It's the same type of punches we use for our regular FUE sessions.

Part of the write up were supposed to include the graft and haircount but it wouldn't copy and paste like rest of the texts. I've save a copy in a different way below to show we've kept track of the extracted punch outs.

Graft/Haircount:

Attachments

• image002.gif
    image002.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,157
Last edited:
J

JJ09

Considering the grafts were the correct ones to use for this patients original work, you wouldn €™t think that a clinic in this day would mess this type of procedure up!
It goes to show that artistry has a lot to do with creating a natural looking hairline.

Great post I look forward to the updates. ;)

Last edited:
H

hairtech

This type of work really bothers me because the patient was so young and the "clinic" knew that. Ugh...

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
great write up and superb pictures, just goes to show some clinics have zero morals. Thankgod you guys were able to correct this poor guys previous work or he could have had many miserable years in front of him ¬b`

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Great post. Unfortunately I am sure that there soon will be a number of guys that are in this boat as some clinics got on the FUE bandwagon very early on and made all kinds of unrealistic promises. Thankful that this guy can be helped. Thanks for posting.

NN