• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Do barbers/hairdressers notice anything or ever comment on the fact you have had a Transplant

scepticsausage

scepticsausage

This actually scares me, if i were to have a transplant i would want to keep it to myself so how do you get around the hair cut issue?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Depends on the stylist and the type of person they are and probably on the relationship they have with you. I know some who have had surgery and would not be unprofessional in their approach to clients who also have had it. Some may well say something to you or to others but for many and most the surgery is not that detectable and the stylist may have no clue. So, no hard and fast rule but I think how obvious the surgery result is and the person whom you go to makes a difference. Most clinics probably have had hair stylists as clients and I think they would be good to go to if they are happy for others to know of their surgery and I know someone who posted on this forum who is a great stylist and a great choice for a HT patient to go to but is based in the south of England.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
If going to the barbers is an issue then you could always use a mobile one that comes to your home. I was anxious about this myself but I've never been questioned about it since my repair with SMG. I personally think it depends on how good the HT is as to whether they say anything......if you get butchered and it doesnt look natural it may get commented upon but if it looks natural you should be ok.

For most it's no issue at all.....unless off course you use the same barber as before and they will obviously know then something has been done.

My advice is either use a barber from out of town or a mobile one first to get your confidence after having a HT

T

thincity

Valued member
While it's hard (and embarrassing) I would suggest being open with your barber or stylist about your transplant. The lady cutting my hair does miracles with what I have. Only once she really cut my back very short and my big scar on the right side was badly exposed.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Thincity your approach makes a lot of sense thinking about it dude. If you visit a barbers when its quiet sceptic and have a word in their ear I'm sure 99 percent would be helpful and understanding.....it will probably work in your advantage too as they will know how best to style your hair then.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I think they only notice bad work. If I mention to barbers I've had hair transplants, they don't believe me at first.

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
I think they only notice bad work. If I mention to barbers I've had hair transplants, they don't believe me at first.

Same here. My current stylist has been cutting my hair for about seven years now but when I first went to her, she had no clue. In fact, no one has anytime I've changed stylists so I think it really comes down to the quality of the work. Bad quality work will always get a comment but the type of comment depends on the type of person the stylist is. Just like in life, you'll run into some that are cognizant of it maybe being a touchy issue, and others will just blab and ask about it loudly, in front of everyone, on a the busiest day of the week, and people will turn to look to see who said what they said and who they were saying it to.

H

horris

Valued member
I was also sceptical and decided to go to the barbers when it was quiet and was just honest and it turned out my barber has had 2 ht's. I also find it useful as I now have a different hairstyle from my last 20 years hairstyle do I asked about styles, hairdryer benefits, good combs etc and the answers really helped.

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
I told my barber since I used to go to the same one, that way he know why I asked for 'unusual ' requests such as keeping the sides shaved down to a 1.5 and leaving the top as it was. This also made it easier for me when I went which was late late openings when no one else would be there, or very few people.

Pete from Farjo

Pete from Farjo

Valued member
I used a mobile hairdresser for a few years, and on around her third visit I told her that most of my hair she's been cutting was transplanted. She looked at me rather baffled (she knew nothing about hair transplants) so I went into detail about my procedures. She said she would never have suspected a thing. Just assumed I had slightly thinning natural hair.