• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr. Bisangs - Beard FUE's won't heal

R

royroy

Valued member
Mattj,

I didn't have scabs when I shaved. It was more like just holes at that point. I am still healing now. It just goes very slow but I have had improvement for the 3rd week in a row. I feel like the below chin area, chin area and sideburn area show signs that they will probably heal up close to 100% eventually (hopefully). The area really high on the cheek in the middle of the face concerns me more. It appears that healing may be complete in that area (at 10 weeks) and there are still maybe 20 or so fues that havent completely closed. If they dont heal I am pretty optomistic that they can be fixed whether that be with fraxel laser, microdermabrasion, microneedling, or some combination.

Fraxel does not destroy hair. You program the depth of the lasers and you dont go down to the root. I have had extensive fraxel (maybe as many as 8 procedures)done on ht scars behind my hairline and have lost no hair. You can have hair "burned" off in an agressive frax procedure which I have done but it grows back. I still have a lot of inflamation on my face in the areas that appear to be still healing so I am going to wait until all that "natural" healing runs its course. At the end if i feel all the natural healing is done and I still have skin issues I will look at treatment options.

Last edited:
R

royroy

Valued member
Just shaved for the first time in 5 weeks. Man I can't believe it my face is ruined I guess for life (I'm at 12 weeks). Dont let anybody take these thing above your chin man. I gotta tell you I dont even care to be alive going forward, this is just mentally painfull.

Attachments

• P2040016.JPG
    P2040016.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 3,565
Last edited:
Z

zionaxel

Valued member
I know you must feel bad but you have to think there are worse things in life and move on. Hopefully with more time it will start to heal better..

M

mars

Valued member
royroy it is still obvious but its not that bad in any way..can you take a pic in normal light a small bit further a way as if someone was within talking distance from you?

what do you think the over all problem was..shaving too soon?your physiology?fault of the clinic?or all 3?

i think your physiology is to blame,some people get poor growth,some less than optimal scars and i think this goes in the same catigory,you are very unlucky.

at least you dont have a huge scar shaped like a hook on your forehead like one of my friends has from a car crash im sure he'd change places with you in a shot!!

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
Look at my gallery i would swap places like a shot, i still feel it needs time.

P

Pacman

Valued member
mars wrote:
royroy it is still obvious but its not that bad in any way..can you take a pic in normal light a small bit further a way as if someone was within talking distance from you?

what do you think the over all problem was..shaving too soon?your physiology?fault of the clinic?or all 3?

i think your physiology is to blame,some people get poor growth,some less than optimal scars and i think this goes in the same catigory,you are very unlucky.

at least you dont have a huge scar shaped like a hook on your forehead like one of my friends has from a car crash im sure he'd change places with you in a shot!!

WTF! Christ thats reasuring!

Royroy i have watched your progress since your 1st post and unfortunately you have not healed at all in my opinion. I know you feel that you may have had some healing below the jaw line and that your main concerns seem to be that extractions were taking too high up your face but in my non surgical opinion i think your chin area looks just as bad.

I hate to be so blunt and ill have my fingers crossed you see a dramatic improvement from this day forward but i do feel you have a right to be worried.

Have BHR shed any light on where your at currently and where you can expect to be in 12 months?

Balboa

Balboa

Valued member
i have to disagree with u on this one mars regardless of who would swap places in life with this guy or not is irrelevant.

It would be different if this guy had come out from a car crash and ended up like this as he could just look on the bright side that hes still alive, but you dont expect to go in for surgery to improve your appearance and actually come out worse.

obviously this could not be entirely the clinics fault because of early shaving but i dont think this can be just brushed off and say there's worse things in life. you wouldn't of thought that when your transplant was done wrong i bet you were distraught naturally so, just like i was with the Armani clinic when they messed up on me.

Last edited:
Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
Pretty much what my fue'd out hairline looked like at 3 months, you can't even tell anything was done on me now.

Not saying its totally your fault but shaving early wont of helped, hope things improve for you.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
These marks look to still be pink in this photo, is this the case?

R

royroy

Valued member
Lot of related questions so let me summarize. What/who do I think is to blame? I think it was to many fues for my face to handle. Don't know why may face could not handle this but it couldn't. I'm to blame for that part, I wanted BHR to do as many FUE's as possible since I was coming all the way over from US. I didn't want to fly over just for 400 to 600 or so. I made it clear I wanted as many as we could do.

Second problem, the fues are very conspicuous. A lot of them were taken out of the middle of my face. I have tried to be positive as possible about the way I phase this but I am tired of being nice, BHR are absolute morons for taking fue's out of the middle of my face when they had never worked on me before and had no idea if they would heal or not. Why would you do that to someone? In my opinion they have never done this to anyone else. I have asked them on multiple occasions to send me pictures of someone else that has my extraction pattern. Stephen always sends pic of himself or someone else who has 95% of thier extractions below the chin and then has a few dozen spread out above the chin a little and maybe up the sideburn.

Am I wrong, if so someone post some pics of someone else with hundreds of cheek fues. Someone commented that the stuff below my chin looks just as bad. I agree but because it is not in the middle of my face it isnt obvious.

So long story short I believe something is going on with my physiology which I dont understand that is preventing healing, no ones fault. I wanted high numbers my fault. BHR recklessly took fues from a place no one should take them, their fault. Funny thing I went to BHR because they have such a great reputation and I met w/ Dr. Bisanga in DC and he is just a stand up guy. He wanted to do a procedure for me that would be safe. He stressed the importance of safety and doing small sessions for repair. Others wanted to do big session to maximize profits. Dr. Bisanga didn't seem to care about profits and that is why I chose him. I think he cares and I am sure he feels bad. He probably is a great HT surgeon. I think he is like all of us, we have good days and bad days at work. I think he made a knuckle head decision and I guess I will pay for it for the rest of my life (hope not).

Last edited:
Balboa

Balboa

Valued member
i suggest you find the best dermatologist that you can find in your area and see what they suggest. im sure something can be done, your face resembles an asian complexion that has suffered from bad ance and has pitted scars, i know this can be fixed so don't give up just yet. i just don't know how or at what cost. go to acne.org its a very good forum. upload your pictures there you will get some good responses im sure as a number of people on that site have had chemical peels to laser treatments.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Royroy, you are probably right it was a mistake for you to have so many beard fue €™s your first time out. Every repair patient is eager to make an improvement and move on. But the wise choice is to move slowly. I €™m not you and of course you know better, but judging from the pictures I don €™t think location had much to do with it. For some reason you just do not heal very well. It could have been the early shaving, but it could just be like you said your physiology.

Everything you wrote about the clinic believing in proceeding with small sessions, caution and giving profit a backseat I have also found to be true and that is why I decided to move forward with my own repair after all these years. Keep in mind that I am familiar with all the other highly promoted clinics, but I didn €™t think twice about traveling so far so that I could have my repair with BHR.

Just judging by the pictures I think the situation is only temporary and can be corrected with more time or some additional skin treatments. Everyone here I €™m sure wishes only the best for you in the coming weeks.

J

JJ09

royroy

Thank you for posting your experience as I believe I will need to utilize facial hair for my repair also and the possibility of scarring has always been a concern of mine, I will proceed with caution. It €™s good to see that Dr Arvind performs small facial hair test procedures on almost all of his patients.

I too in trying to improve my bad HT €™s over the years have only created other problems so I can sympathise with you to a certain degree, hopefully treatment or time will improve things.

R

royroy

Valued member
Balboa & Topcat,

I will look at the acne site. I agree that I have a chance of being very treatable. Most of you on this site have probably had some real HT issues and can probably understand my mood swings. I was just kind of devastated after I shaved last night. Of course that is the worst looking time because my face swells all up and the contrast between the swelling and the holes is magnified. Tonight the swelling is down some and it doesnt look as hideuos (not saying it looks good). Honestly if the swelling would ever go away completely I think I would be left with a very treatable problem.

My local HT guy here in Charlotte who is also a dermatoligist has looked at me. He doesn't think i will heal completely but he thinks with fraxel and the posibly microderm and/or microneddling I can recover to my satisfaction. My local fraxel guy thinks I can recover with at least 3 fraxel treatments ($1200 a piece). I am going to start fraxel in 3 weeks or so. Dont want to spend the money but getting this fixed is priority number one going forward.

JJ - I am glad to hear my write up is helping you. Beard fues have great potential for people who have tons of strip scars and no donor hair. I am at less then 3 months and my recipient beard fues technically should not even be growing yet but I have tremendous growth. Right now I would already label my growth a tremendous success and I already dont have to worry about my scars on the left side. For years I have had to sit there and try to comb my hair over these scars and get the hair spray just right so you couldn't see them. Then you spend all day wondering if people you are talking to can see them, you guys know the drill I am talking about. My hair is going to be so much better/ fuller. If I can get my face back I will be the happiest camper in the world. My advice for what its worth.

1) Take great care picking your beard fue guy. Make sure its someone who has done a lot of beard work with good results.

2)Go in for a small "trial session" of 20-100 or so under the chin.

3) If you are happy with the healing proceed with a larger session under chin. If they want to try a few from the sideburns then try it if you want. Shave any areas you do not want "harvested" (cheek, etc,...) then you dont have to worry about what they are doing when you are in gaga land. I almost did this the morning I went in. I just had this feeling I should shave my upper face and then I decided not to, boy I wish I could go back and have another go, you really should trust your instincts.

Last edited:
Dr. A s Clinic

Dr. A s Clinic

Valued member
royroy,
my apologies that I did not see this thread earlier. I am not as regular in this section.
First, I blame neither BHR nor you. Beard hair to scalp transplant is a relatively new field. It would be a mistake to say we/anyone knows everything about this. But I agree with your viewpoint. Its important to share a vast variety of outcomes. No one can do this better then the patients themselves.

Dr. A s Clinic

Dr. A s Clinic

Valued member
You asked about pictures of major cases of bht, especially from the cheek from BHR.
I would intervene here and give you some instances of our own
http://www.fusehair.com/node/574 - Caucasian patient (probably the largest session at the time)

http://www.fusehair.com/image/tid/124 (a european- the largest number beard hair grafts extracted in one go to my knowledge - even from the moustache)> 6500 grafts

Dr. A s Clinic

Dr. A s Clinic

Valued member
Please remember that since the Indian skin tans easily, we have more likelihood of seeing the hypopigmented spots following beard hair to scalp fue. We have not seen any yet
Here's 2 examples (you would find more on www.fusehair.com)
http://www.fusehair.com/image/tid/205
http://www.fusehair.com/image/tid/24

Dr. A s Clinic

Dr. A s Clinic

Valued member
We usually advise patients to shave 3 day post op.
We do not advise any corticosteroid cream as Dr. A believes that may slow down healing.

In conclusion, I think your situation will improve with time. Stay away from the hydrocortisone.
This is a new field and I am sorry that you are one of the first to face problems. But I am thankful that you have shared your experiences and that it will help future doctors and patients alike.

R

royroy

Valued member
V,

Its funny that you bring up the cortizone because I have been thinking about that a lot lately. Personally I have never believed shaving has had anything to do with my problems. I may be wrong and I respect everyones opinions on the topic but when I look at my experience I see no corolation between shaving and healing problems. The areas I almost never shaved if anything were worse. My Fraxel guy claims shaving is good. Plus keep in mind I never shaved off scabs or destroyed wounds, I shaved over holes. I am not saying this to redirect blame. If shaving caused this then Im ok with the fact that my stupidity caused my problem, I am just saying that my gut feeling on watching my face change and not change is that shaving is damn close to being a total non factor.

I have really been wondering about hydrocortizone. I treated my face twice a day with cortizone per Doctors post op. A couple of times a week when I had to go somewhere in public I would take the cortizone and cake it on the holes to use it as a "make up". I figured hey I dont want to put makeup on a wound and this stuff is good for you. When I wasn't healing after 2 weeks BHR basically recommended that I ramp up the cortizone. They said 2% is beter the 1% etc,.. to make a long story short for about 4 weeks I had cortizone on my face at all times and had it caked on there on several occasions as a "makeup

I went to see my local HT/dermatology guy at 1 month. He said I should get off of cortizone immediately. He said it was ok for a week or two post op but to stay on it would actually hurt. I dont know because i dont know anything about cortizone or what it does but maybe having to much cortizone for to long retarded my progress. Let me also say that if that is the case I am not trying to direct blame towards BHR for their cortizone recommendations. As you say this is a new science and all is not known. Plus they didn't tell me to cake it on as a covering agent, I always come up with those brilliant ideas on my own. Wondering if any of you guys that know more about cortizone have any opinions on this?

R

royroy

Valued member
Thinking harder on this topic I realize I treated non stop with hydrocortizone for more like 7 weeks not 4. My procedure was Nov 15th and I was still doing hydro until well after Christmas. I was doing 1% hydro for about 4 weeks and then BHR got me a prescription (needed in USA) for 2% which I used for maybe another 3 weeks. It was after being on 2% for a 2 or 3 weeks that I saw my local HT/dermatologist who said it could be doing harm, get off of it right away. Just wanted to get my facts straight.

Last edited: