• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr. Erdogan Koray ASMED CLINIC: 8000 grafts overharvested donor

A

air78

Hello everyone,

I would like to explain my transplant with the Asmed clinic and some details on the operation:

I got operated with Dr. Koray in 2013 and 4000 grafts were extracted. My operation was satisfactory then, apart from the design of the hairline not very natural to me, but otherwise there was a good regrowth.
In August 2019 I decided to go back to Koray for a little touch-up in the crown, which in my opinion was still empty. After sending some pictures to the clinic, we decided by email for 2000 max 2500 grafts.
When the doctor saw me in person he immediately decided that he wanted to put 4000 grafts and not 2000 as we had established. I honestly remained a little puzzled by this choice, it seemed to me too much for my donor. At last during the vist we found an agreement of 3000 grafts. Immediately after the visit was over with the Doctor, Alessio the italian consultant privately told me that Koray wanted to propose me a discount if i agreed to extract 4000 grafts. But still i wasn’t sure about it because anyway i would had to pay more then what was established and i repeat i was worried about a heavy post-surgery and for my donor. The doctor came to me after this new proposal and told me to not worry that it would have been perfect!

At last with the discount offered to me and the insistent reassurances of the doctor that my donor could handle another 4000 grafts without any problem, were very convincing, they also told me that in short time I would be all right. In my head there could be no margins of errors if the Doctor was so convinced to insist on this amount!
So I decided to trust the doctor and go for 4000 grafts without imagining what would have happaned after this.

After 7 months my donor result overharvested, with evident holes. The doctor hasn’t been able to calculate well the capacity of my donor. His theory about Coverage Value which he spread all around the world like a revolutionary theory, didn’t work, plus assistant did a very bad job because they didn’t maintain the homogeneity of the donor, leaving parts with more hair and others with less. I will show some pictures so you can understand better what had happened.

Thanks!

A

air78

Pre surgery

SXeZ8I4.jpg

surgery

yrwAxCp.jpg

pzFnLXI.jpg

udUAO42.jpg

18SvVuD.jpg

IG4f9kd.jpg

OKHxRW1.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
FUE is a technique that has been the most demanded for years now and even today is marketed wrongly as non scarring by some clinics around the world (not Asmed). Years back FUE was only recommended for smaller sessions but overtime the technique improved and the sessions increased in size. Today there is still a debate between Dr's on what is a big session. There´s a misconception by some that I speak to that FUE doesn´t really change the donor area much. That it´s a small punch, the hair is removed and that´s it. FUE is a surgical procedure, hair is removed and leaves a scar. Each hair removed reduces the hair density. The more that´s taken at some point it will become obvious. That coupled with the quality of the extraction and how far spread the extraction is done. The amount that can be removed is always up for debate. It needs to be measured against the starting hair density for one thing, hair loss age and potential for future hair loss. Different hair characteristics will be kinder when treating advanced hair loss. Blonde hair and light skin complexion, for example, will be better than light complexion and dark hair. Along with a spread pattern of hair removal so no one area is over harvested and the loss of hair is evenly spread around the back and sides.
Your donor density does look as though it has improved from the pictures you`ve posted in the early months after surgery, it is harder to truly judge though because your hair is longer. If you keep your hair at this length I don`t believe anyone would notice anything.

A

air78

hello if you want to see my video about my transplant you can watch it here:

E

Edsarn

You are only 6 months post HT. When I had my first FUE it took around 12 months for it to fully return to normal. I had a patch behind my ear, but within time it got better. As @Bigmac mentioned, your donor is looking better. Just try and be patient, and perhaps contact your clinic if you are still not happy.

A

air78

im 8 month from surgery, and believe me im exactly as i was in the first months. Is overharvesting unfortunately, there's no way it can recover!

S

SeanFUE

Man, i kinda know how this feels. Unfortunately, it’s unlikely to make a distict cosmetic change or come back after 8 months. Have you reached out to the doctor, what does he say?

at this point, theres nothing that can really be done except (maybe) smp by a true expert who can maybe camouflage the density losses. Theres no teason a patient should have loss in donor if he is going in to fix density loss in frontal scalp- it defeats the purpose of a transplant. Proper precision and selection of extraction area/spacing is key to better outcome.

as a person in need myself, i really feel this one. Hope you get it all sorted. I can’t and wont sugarcoat the current situation at month 8. Best of luck and hope you get your goals answered.

T

Todd

The result looks decent enough but your donor looks weak now. SMP will probably be your option for filling it in to hide the scalp. 8000 is a lot of grafts to have removed, only people with insane density seem to get these high numbers and then left with a decent looking donor. What does it look like with a buzz cut on the sides and back?

A

air78

Man, i kinda know how this feels. Unfortunately, it’s unlikely to make a distict cosmetic change or come back after 8 months. Have you reached out to the doctor, what does he say?
at this point, theres nothing that can really be done except (maybe) smp by a true expert who can maybe camouflage the density losses. Theres no teason a patient should have loss in donor if he is going in to fix density loss in frontal scalp- it defeats the purpose of a transplant. Proper precision and selection of extraction area/spacing is key to better outcome.
as a person in need myself, i really feel this one. Hope you get it all sorted. I can’t and wont sugarcoat the current situation at month 8. Best of luck and hope you get your goals answered.

The doctor doesn’t say nothing, probably he would like to forget his insane decision, but I will remind him forever. Is incredible how a doctor who is considered top in his field, can make such a stupid decision and ruin a donor like this, i have no words!

A

air78

The result looks decent enough but your donor looks weak now. SMP will probably be your option for filling it in to hide the scalp. 8000 is a lot of grafts to have removed, only people with insane density seem to get these high numbers and then left with a decent looking donor. What does it look like with a buzz cut on the sides and back?

Buzz cut impossible it would look like in the first month, it would be terrible. I have to keep my hair at least at 4 cm to cover the overharvested area. Not even with a strip I should keep my hair so long. Unreal!

T

Todd

Sorry to hrear you can`t buzz it shorter. Did the doctor mention the density of your donor before going for the second operation?