• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr Mwamba - 1.600 Grafts - BHT into FUE scars (donor restocking)

M

mustang2

Valued member
Hi Guys,

I hope you find my case interesting.

I have had several hair transplants over the past 15 years totaling around 9.500 FUE extractions from my donor which was left in a bad state.

I went to Dr Mwamba's clinic in Brussels to repair and try to leave a homogenous looking donor area. The repair was done in 3 steps.

1) We extracted 500 FUE grafts from the more denser areas to try to leave a more homogenous look.

2) On a second date we implanted 550 FUE from the nape into thinning areas and did a 50 BHT test on the left area.

3) After confirming growth of BHT (I believe it was 95%) we proceeded to implant 1.100 BHT more taken from the beard, chest and arms.

I attach pictures in chronological order and the results on the last picture are 5 months after the last surgery.

My donor looks completely normal now and I can buzz cut it without any noticeable thinner areas thus I could not be more satisfied with the outcome. It's impossible for my barber or even in pictures to tell BHT apart from my native hair and while it was a long process and long surgeries I would do it again.

Pre op 3mm

Dr Mwamba donor-before-repair.jpg

Pre op 2mm

Dr Mwamba 1 Before-any-surgery-with-Mwamba.jpg

Area to repair

Dr Mwamba 3.jpg

Intraop

Dr Mwamba 4.jpg

Dr Mwamba 5.jpg

Dr Mwamba 6'.jpg

4 months

Dr Mwamba 7.png

Here are the 50 BHT graft test next to the left ear
Pre and 4 months post op.

Dr Mwamba 8.png
Dr Mwamba 9.png

Final result

Dr Mwamba results after 1st surgery.jpg

1 month post-op (second donor BHT repair)

Dr Mwamba repair.jpg

Donor 5 months post op second surgery.

Dr Mwamba Result after second surgery.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mustang.
Thanks for sharing your story on the forum.
Dr Mwamba has done a great job in repairing/restocking your donor area. Only last year at the FUE Europe meeting in Manchester England I was chatting to Dr Mwamba about FIT Farming and the amount of over harvested donor areas so it`s great to have an actual patient showing what has been achieved with this technique.
Originally your donor density must have been very good. Having 9500 grafts extracted is a lot.
15 years is a long time chasing your hair and achieving your goals. Like you, I had bad work done and spent over a decade having repair work.
All the best.
Bm.

M

mustang2

Valued member
Thanks for your comment Bm.

Dr Mwamba is performing a lot of fit farming lately, patients are coming from all over to get their donor areas repaired.

My original density was average I believe, hence I ended up with a depleted area. I am having more work done as I am hoping to get another 1.000 extracted before doing SMP on it to close my case.

With this surgery I will reach 13 hair transplants. Probably 14 or 15 if I do another Fit Farming session.

Like you, it has been quite a journey but I would do it all over again. Having hair has been priceless.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I’ve never heard of this before, putting body hairs back into sites where grafts have been taken. It has made your donor look normal again. What does your arm and chest removal sites look like?

M

mustang2

Valued member
Nothing. No scaring, undetectable
Just look at my nape. They took 500-600 grafts from it and it leaves no scaring

You can read about Fit Farming here: fueclinic.com/services/surgery/fit-farming/

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
It is amazing what’s been done. Your nape looks great. Can I see your arm where they were taken from?

M

mustang2

Valued member
Don't have any pictures here with me
I'll upload one from by neck/beard where everything was wiped out (Extracted)

M

mustang2

Valued member
All of the blue marked area was extracted. This is a picture with Zoom and you can see no scaring at all. It healed within 48 hours after extraction. Crazy fast. After 3 days it looked liked nothing hat happened.

In total they took 2.000 beard grafts from there. I choose to have everything removed and my beard density is quote low. Somebody else can have 4k or more there. I used 1.000 on the crown and 1.000 to repair my donor

Attachments

• IMG-7319.jpg
    IMG-7319.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG-7319.jpg
    IMG-7319.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 834
B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Wow!!! This is very impressive thanks for sharing

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your comment Bm.

Dr Mwamba is performing a lot of fit farming lately, patients are coming from all over to get their donor areas repaired.

My original density was average I believe, hence I ended up with a depleted area. I am having more work done as I am hoping to get another 1.000 extracted before doing SMP on it to close my case.

With this surgery I will reach 13 hair transplants. Probably 14 or 15 if I do another Fit Farming session.

Like you, it has been quite a journey but I would do it all over again. Having hair has been priceless.

I have a feeling once more of Dr Mwambas results are online some clinics will utilise this as an excuse to over harvest saying they'll top it back up with body hair.
When I was chatting with Dr Mwamba he was mentioning how long it use to take training techs and the training involved to become a skilled Doctor. These days there are too many inexperienced people performing surgical roles.

You Ht numbers are about the same as mine.,I had numerous smaller transplants to correct the bad work.

S

Scarred UP

Yours is most definitely an interesting case considering the number of extractions prior to your repair.
If I'm correct you've had 9500 grafts extracted plus 500 for repair making a total of 10,000 from your donor area.

The 500 scalp FUE + 550 nape + 1150 body hair makes a total of 2200 grafts that were transferred back into your donor. This is a pretty amazing considering how your donor now looks.
I don't think you had average donor going by the extraction count.
What was your starting point before your first surgery?
Are you currently on any hair loss treatment plan?

M

mustang2

Valued member
The 500 scalp FUE when into the recipient.
500 Nape + 1100 BHT went into the donor

I am NW4, diffuse thinner. My starting point 15 years ago was just a bad hairline and so it progressed rapidly to all areas.

All my grandparents are bald and my brother who is 5 years younger is a NW3. I will document everything in due course

S

Scarred UP

I was counting the 50 BHT test plus your OP did say 550 nape. Regardless of this your donor restocking speaks volumes with the result surpassing anything else I've seen. You've gone full circle from a bad hairline to decimated donor and then ending up with a good result.
I'm eager to read more when you continue with a full documentation.

M

mustang2

Valued member
Thanks brother

I still have a little journey to go.

I would definitely add another 300-350 BHT to my donor to make it "perfect" but the goal was to close big gaps to do SMP. There were areas were 3,4 or even 5 grafts had been taken to close for each other, generating small bald spots of 5mm and clearly visible with a shaven head. Those have been broken implanting BHT in them, so even if they took 9.500 grafts and I only implanted 1.600 back I have managed to make it look homogenous which is what it's all about.

It also has allowed me to be a candidate for HT again for further extraction while before doing this I was not eligible for further HT

If I really want to make it look thicker and like nothing ever happened then SMP is the next step, first in the donor and finally on my recipient.

I am hoping with this to get rid of caboki, toppik, hair spray and maybe even meds, laser cap and everything that goes with it.

Applying topical duatasteride once a week is certainly not a problem. If I go on holiday and forget then nothing will happen, it's got a long half life, but getting rid of concealers and going for long swims daily without having to worry about this anymore will certainly be life changing.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Do you use any hair loss medications to keep the hair you have left?

M

mustang2

Valued member
Yes, I am on Topical Dutasteride 0.1% right now
Works like a charm, no sides.
No orals.
Will be adding mesotherapy maybe down the line

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
What does 0.1% mean when compared to 1mg per day pill form?
I don’t know what mesotherapy is either.

J

jjL1993

Valued member
Would depend on how many ml you applied, but every 1ml application of 0.1% would be equivalent to 1mg of Dutasteride. And mesotherapy is essentially injecting a treatment into the skin. In this case, a very small dose of Dutasteride (usually 0.05 from what I have seen) is injected into the dermis of the scalp, usually only required every few months. This can also be done at home with essentially the same efficacy using a derma roller instead of injections.

M

mustang2

Valued member
0.5% is 5mg
0.1% is 1mg
0.05% equals the oral version. This is the concentration used on mesotherapy once a month
Highly effective

M

mustang2

Valued member
Final result. Very very happy
1.600 BHT in total
Next step SMP!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 841