• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr. Patrick Mwamba (Fue Clinic) - 3.500 grafts - 24th & 25th of May 2021

C

Captaincalico

Your post surgical care plan is certainly helping with the pristine appearance. Keeping those scabs to a bare minimum looks better than the bloody crusty ones. This will be life changing when both transplants are fully grown out.
Thank you ! Yep I can really be a little obsessive with this kind of thing, it'd day 10 now and alot of the dead skin is falling off, not sure if I could possibly wear a hat now ? Or when I can start to apply fibers? Again so many different opinions out there

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Captaincalico. I hope the forum helped you while researching your options and thanks for giving back by sharing your story.
It`s good to hear you had a great experience before and during surgery. Dr Mwamba is a very nice guy. I always enjoy chatting with him at various conferences. The extractions and placement look good, some "ultra-refined" work. Post op instructions do vary from clinic to clinic with some saying wait 7 days after surgery to wash your hair while others will advise the day after to begin. I washed my hair once a day beginning the day after. Your donor and recipient look very clean with the scabs barely visible. Your 9 day post op picture has little sign of redness, you`ve healed very well.

The donor soreness can linger for a bit. I found it best to take a pain pill before bed which helped me to sleep better. Wearing a loose fitting hat should not cause any issues. Your grafts are well secure now, the incisions have closed up and using fibers is not a problem. I used fibers from around the 10 day mark and wore a loose baseball type cap. Both had no impact on my result but you may want to double check with Dr Mwamba what his advice is.

Backtracking a little here. Did you have any treatment for the psoriasis before surgery? Do the oils you`re spaying help keep it at bay?

I`m looking forward to following your progress.
All the best.
Bm.

C

Captaincalico

Hi Captaincalico. I hope the forum helped you while researching your options and thanks for giving back by sharing your story.
It`s good to hear you had a great experience before and during surgery. Dr Mwamba is a very nice guy. I always enjoy chatting with him at various conferences. The extractions and placement look good, some "ultra-refined" work. Post op instructions do vary from clinic to clinic with some saying wait 7 days after surgery to wash your hair while others will advise the day after to begin. I washed my hair once a day beginning the day after. Your donor and recipient look very clean with the scabs barely visible. Your 9 day post op picture has little sign of redness, you`ve healed very well.

The donor soreness can linger for a bit. I found it best to take a pain pill before bed which helped me to sleep better. Wearing a loose fitting hat should not cause any issues. Your grafts are well secure now, the incisions have closed up and using fibers is not a problem. I used fibers from around the 10 day mark and wore a loose baseball type cap. Both had no impact on my result but you may want to double check with Dr Mwamba what his advice is.

Backtracking a little here. Did you have any treatment for the psoriasis before surgery? Do the oils you`re spaying help keep it at bay?

I`m looking forward to following your progress.
All the best.
Bm.
Hello, wow thank you for the great reply! He is a great guy, very kind and knowledgeable.. his team along side him are all amazing and I am 100% happy with my choice. Its been a back and forth roller coaster for years, as I am sure it is for many others on here. Washing twice a day has proven very effective, it's kept the scabs to a minimum and has soothed the scalp which in turn may have reduced the redness ... today (day 10) I am noticing much less pain, its more of an annoyance an irritating feeling, I slept much better last night.

So onto some questions if you don't mind, I have a woolen fishermen's hat, would that be OK to wear from now ? Also it's so hard to decide what to do re applying fibers even when to start working out again, so many different opinions it can really cloud your judgement. I feel like I am all healed up pretty much and could resume my usual workout routine, maybe a little less and build it back up... also with the fibers? Would Would say it is safe to apply them now ?
Thank you for your support and excellent comment

Ps . I have suffered on and off with psoriasis.... more recently due to the fact I have worn a system for 6 years and only really washed my hair when cleaning and re applying the system, this caused build up and irritation... I use T gel which has always worked wonders for me, the oil I am using now has definitely had an amazing effect on hair and scalp condition.... ill attach a photo of the bottle ....

C

Captaincalico

Hello, wow thank you for the great reply! He is a great guy, very kind and knowledgeable.. his team along side him are all amazing and I am 100% happy with my choice. Its been a back and forth roller coaster for years, as I am sure it is for many others on here. Washing twice a day has proven very effective, it's kept the scabs to a minimum and has soothed the scalp which in turn may have reduced the redness ... today (day 10) I am noticing much less pain, its more of an annoyance an irritating feeling, I slept much better last night.

So onto some questions if you don't mind, I have a woolen fishermen's hat, would that be OK to wear from now ? Also it's so hard to decide what to do re applying fibers even when to start working out again, so many different opinions it can really cloud your judgement. I feel like I am all healed up pretty much and could resume my usual workout routine, maybe a little less and build it back up... also with the fibers? Would Would say it is safe to apply them now ?

Ps . I have suffered on and off with psoriasis.... more recently due to the fact I have worn a system for 6 years and only really washed my hair when cleaning and re applying the system, this caused build up and irritation... I use T gel which has always worked wonders for me, the oil I am using now has definitely had an amazing effect on hair and scalp condition.... ill attach a photo of the bottle ....
Also, the psoriasis is only on the sides and back of my head, I've never really had it on the top where the grafts are.

C

Captaincalico

I was wondering if psoriasis caused any issues with donor grafts?
Well the psoriasis was suffocating some hair, but it wasn't to the point of no return, they were very specific as to where they took the donor, I had alot of areas where there were groupings of twos threes fours and even some fives. All healthy

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member

Washing and spraying regularly definitely improve the appearance of the recipient area. Anyone looking at you would not give a second look.
Sometimes, you may experience sharp pains in the donor where a nerve ending was damaged. The odd pain pill and some Aloe vera helped soothe my skin. Getting a good night's sleep helps you feel better and refreshed. If you get any itching quite a few people say antihistamines helped.

The only issue I can see with a woolen hat is they usually cause your head to sweat. I don`t see this causing any issues with the grafts but your scalp is better off being able to breathe freely. I`d use the ball cap or maybe a bandana as both can be worn loosely.
Fibers really helped me. I applied them sparingly 10 days post op, just enough to give coverage/camouflage but not enough to clog up the pores. I made sure I washed it out every night before bed. Working out will be fine as well. Start light and work your way back up to your normal routine.

The system must have been a big help for you. There are some very good ones available now but IMO it`s no substitute for having your own hair. Your donor area looks very thick. Did Dr Mwamba let you know what the density is?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Well the psoriasis was suffocating some hair, but it wasn't to the point of no return, they were very specific as to where they took the donor, I had alot of areas where there were groupings of twos threes fours and even some fives. All healthy

That`s good to hear. Bigger groupings really help when creating a good illusion of density.

C

Captaincalico

Day 10, things are starting to really clean up nice, the skin is coming off now, looks like couscous ! No blood or anything, I reluctantly started to massage the area to start loosening the dead skin, it's a daunting part as I don't want to risk dislodging any grafts, but I'm sure after 10 days the are secure by now ? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated... ive also received my toppik fibers today, this is another issue, would it be safe to use now or should i wait a little longer to apply fibers ? Also exercise, so many conflicting ideas out there, I'm think of starting my routine again as of Monday, this is 13 days post op... id greatly appreciate opinions on both those burning questions... whats your opinion time frames for working out and applying hair fibers ! Look forward to your answers.... FYI I've not experienced any side effects so far from medication Big Mac I know you have replied... im just interested in everyone's thoughts I am inclined to agree with you.

C

Captaincalico

Day 10 as you can see it's basically dry loose skin, would fibers irritate this?

20210604_112557.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
You can be firmer when you massage your scalp to remove any scabs or dead tissue. It’s a good idea to left the shampoo soak on your head for 10 minutes, then the scabs and tissue just slide right off while massaging and finally rinsing.

C

Captaincalico

First few hairs have fallen out ... I can tell already I'm going to hate the shock loss phase.... can anyone tell me if this is normal loss and not permanent just from these pictures? Same hair I just took the skin off the second pic.

20210604_190010.jpg

20210604_185908.jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That`s not shocked hair, it`s a shed hair which is all normal. All f your transplanted hair usually sheds around this time frame, sometimes it hangs on longer and for a lucky few it continues to grow.

C

Captaincalico

That`s not shocked hair, it`s a shed hair which is all normal. All f your transplanted hair usually sheds around this time frame, sometimes it hangs on longer and for a lucky few it continues to grow.
Ok man thank you, sorry yes shedding.... horrible process ! Thanks for the reply man

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
No problem. It can be quite sad when they all shed after you've got used to your new look but it's short lived. Time seems to go by slowly at first but before you know it you`ll be 3-4 months post op and hopefully, experiencing some nice early growth.

C

Captaincalico

No problem. It can be quite sad when they all shed after you've got used to your new look but it's short lived. Time seems to go by slowly at first but before you know it you`ll be 3-4 months post op and hopefully, experiencing some nice early growth.
Amazing thank you bro, I am ordering a laser cap tomorrow to hopefully speed up the process by maybe a month or so

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve had a lot of transplants so know what people go through, the stressing etc. Some will say laser caps do nothing but I`ve heard quite a few doctors state they believe they do benefit some people. I would not pay thousands for one, maybe a few hundred.
Hopefully, it provides some benefit to you. It won`t do any harm for sure.

C

Captaincalico

I`ve had a lot of transplants so know what people go through, the stressing etc. Some will say laser caps do nothing but I`ve heard quite a few doctors state they believe they do benefit some people. I would not pay thousands for one, maybe a few hundred.
Hopefully, it provides some benefit to you. It won`t do any harm for sure.
Thats Good to know, you sound like you have loads of knowledge on the subject which is great for people like me. Ye I will probably get one for a couple hundred but no more.... anything is worth a shot I say

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
My transplants are double figures. After making a few mistakes before the internet was available it took me quite a few repair surgeries to achieve what I wanted. I also attend various hair loss conferences to learn and pass on my knowledge.
Are you getting one that sits inside a cap so you can wear it without anyone knowing?

C

Captaincalico

My transplants are double figures. After making a few mistakes before the internet was available it took me quite a few repair surgeries to achieve what I wanted. I also attend various hair loss conferences to learn and pass on my knowledge.
Are you getting one that sits inside a cap so you can wear it without anyone knowing?

Ahh sorry to hear man, at least you have been sorted now, that's great dude, I bet there are alot of appreciative people out there... I am getting the cap yep, although I'll only wear it in the mornings before I start my day