• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Female patient : traction alopecia

• Thread starter Sabine-Prohairclinic
  • Start date
Sabine-Prohairclinic

Sabine-Prohairclinic

FUE hair transplantation - SMP
For those who don't know the term traction Alopecia :

Traction Alopecia, a hair loss condition caused by damage to the dermal papilla and hair follicle by constant pulling or tension over a long period

This female patient came to us in 2006 after suffering for years. She feared that someone would detect her bald spot which she was able to camouflage using her long hair.
Her husband was given the task to constantly monitor her hair during social activities. In case the hair would shift and reveal the bald spot he would give a sign to her in order to comb the hair again.

It had all started out as a teenager, constantly pulling her hairs. Eventually it lead to the destruction of the centrally located hairs (see picture).

We performed 2 seperate sessions on her, each 600 grafts, about 1 year apart. The reason being that we can not take 1200 grafts from a shaven strip in 1 pass.

The pictures clearly shows that she no longer has a hair problem nowadays. Her emotional and social life have improved and she hardly ever thinks of her past problems.

The after picture was taken 11 months after her second session, final result.

Sabine

Attachments

• inez final.jpg
    inez final.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,057
janna

janna

Valuable Member
Sabine,

The end result looks great. I bet the patient and her husband are much happier not worrying about her hair in social settings. Do you have any other pictures of this patient? Perhaps of one intra-op or even one with normal hair style.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Agree,she must be so pleased with that result and i bet its a big relief for her husband too.

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
I wonder what the sign was he used to give this women when her hair used to shift out of place, as i know what sign I would give my missus, a big 'V'. Anyways, I concur great result for this dear, I imagine hair loss is more distressing for women as it's less common, furthermore, lets be honest they are more vain than the male species. Top result prohair.

Shang

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Very nice looking result. How large of an area is shaved with woman for donor harvesting?
NN

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/C3zad0CvQHw&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi Bart,

I was excited to see the video but when I clicked on it, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. The comb through doesn't really display much of the result. I know there is great improvement to your patient, but the lone before/after pic and your video doesn't indicate as such. Just my opinion. :)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bart/Sabine

Do you have any more pictures of this patient.

Thanks bm

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
looks good to me cheers SabineZ:B

D

danzar1986

Wow its awesome.Wat a simple solution of the problem.Its great to have.Can you please tell me the charge.

Z

zenith

this term is like a nightmare for any women.....there are treatments for this....it is a type of hair loss which occurs when hair follicels get damaged due to extensive tightening of the hair....its common in africans...it can be stopped if diagonised at early stage....

M

Medillion

Sabine, are there instances when the transplanted hairs dont grow? If so what does your clinic recomend?

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
that video shows nothing, we want to see the area that was bald, with hair growing out of it. A wig good give the same effect as what was shown in the video.

A

Amy

If I opted for surgery, would it be possible to have fue method leaving my hair long to hide the area where the grafts are extracted?

K

Kara

Have you performed FUE Hair Transplant surgery on female hairlines ?

S

SavanahAbare

Eyelash Growth Guru
this definitely would be the last option for me. Ive had traction alopecia since i was 16 (now 24) and it has recently started to grow back. :) I dont know how comfortable i would be getting a hair graft and paying all that money.

N

NeoGills

Thanks for sharing the difference between the two. Really appreciate it, wasn't cleared on it b4

G

Alopecia areata is a type of hair loss that occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks hair follicles, which is where hair growth begins. Experts do not know why the immune system attacks the follicles. Alopecia areata is most common in people younger than 20, but children and adults of any age may be affected

Rarely, complete loss of scalp hair and body hair occurs. The hair loss often comes and goes €”hair will grow back over several months in one area but will fall out in another area.

When alopecia areata results in patches of hair loss, the hair usually grows back in 6 months to 1 year. Although the new hair is usually the same color and texture as the rest of the hair, it sometimes is fine and white.

Because hair usually grows back within a year, you may decide not to treat alopecia areata.

If you choose not to treat the condition and wait for your hair to grow back, you may wish to:

Wear hairpieces or hair weaves. Hairpieces are made from human or synthetic hair that is implanted into a nylon netting. Hairpieces may be attached to the scalp with glue, metal clips, or tape. Hair weaving involves sewing or braiding pieces of longer hair into existing hair.
Use certain hair care products and styling techniques. Hair care products or perms may make hair appear thicker. Dyes may be used to color the scalp. However, continual use of perms or dyes may result in more hair loss.
The most common treatment for patchy hair loss is many injections of corticosteroids into the scalp, about 1 cm (0.4 in.) apart, every 4 to 6 weeks. Limited research reports that hair grows back at the site of injection in some people.

Contact immunotherapy may be the most effective treatment for severe alopecia areata. A medication is "painted" on the scalp once a week. Hair growth may appear within 3 months of beginning treatment. A review of research on contact immunotherapy notes that about half of those with severe alopecia areata had a good response, but how much hair grew back varied widely. Side effects of contact immunotherapy include a severe rash (contact dermatitis) and swollen lymph nodes, especially in the neck.

Other medications used to treat alopecia areata include minoxidil (Rogaine), anthralin, and cyclosporine. Anthralin is sometimes used in combination with minoxidil. These medications affect the immune system and may stimulate hair growth, but they do not prevent hair loss.
Thanks biohairtreatment.com