• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

FUE 1,100 at the Maitland Clinic Hampshire

Bongo

Bongo

Thanks for the positive comments. One year and 3 days on from the procedure and I'm very happy, its honestly changed my life.

Exactly this time a year ago I had a face that looked like id been 10 rounds with Tyson and was very apprehensive about facing work colleagues and friends. One year on and still not one person has any idea I had the procedure. Within 2 weeks of the procedure you wouldn't have known id had anything done unless you had an HT yourself. Amazing how quick the body heals and obviously not having my head shaved helped me so much with my recovery.

Although the result is subtle, its been enough for a few people to comment that I'm looking younger, without them quizzing me on something hair related. I know that if id not had it done and also got on Fin I'd be well on the way to baldness now. Goes to prove you can have a HT and totally get away with it! The one or two people in the office who used to regularly rib me about going bald have even stopped their banter. I know it kills them seeing me with hair and they can't pin point it!

I'll still be keeping a close eye on other progress on here with their own stories. I would never have had it done if it wasn't for all the positive stories and information sharing that happens on this forum.

For those dilly dallying about getting one done. You live once. Live it your way. And if hair loss bothers you, do something positive about it, its been genuinely life changing for me and I only had a small procedure. Don't be beaten down by Dogma.

Thanks again to all at the Maitland clinic and happy growing to all fellow HT's out there.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Looks amazing pal, i love to read how good results change people's life's for the better. Even though it was a relatively smallish procedure it has mad a huge difference to your hairline and your confidence....happy for ya! ¬b`
Thanks for sharing your Journey with us all on here it means a lot and will help others thinking of having a HT i'm sure.

Bongo

Bongo

Cheers Bullitnut! If this helps just one person take the plunge and be happier then I'd be very pleased to know that.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Bongo wrote:
Cheers Bullitnut! If this helps just one person take the plunge and be happier then I'd be very pleased to know that.
I'm positive it will..;)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That's turned out great Bongo, the corner recessions have filled in nicely and look totally natural.
Thanks for keeping us updated on your result.
Enjoy your new hair and styling options.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
It never gets old to have happy and satisfied patients!
Thanks so much for documenting your progress! Please stay in touch!

Bongo

Bongo

Hi All

Sorry, bit of an essay, but if this helps even one person in their own journey then I guess it's worth it...(and I will post/share some photos very soon I promise).

Some of you may remember me from some posts following a 1,100 FUE procedure I had with The Maitland Clinic back in May 2016 (this was primarily to fill in frontal recession areas in the corners).

I was delighted with my results, which although very subtle, made a huge difference to my life, confidence and wellbeing (that may sound clichéd, but its the honest truth). I recently turned 40 years of age and many people on my birthday commented about my youthful looks, but that has undoubtedly been helped by the magic of Dr Ball and his team!

I began taking Fin around June 2016 and have been taking 1mg most days (probably 4-5 days per week on average, which has definitely helped maintain my native hair). I don't use Minox, but do take Biotin daily and wash my hair with Nizoral once a week or so. I've had mild sides from Fin, but for me its a small price to pay for the results it has produced.

Although I was a very happy patient (plus not 1 person/friend/family member or hairdresser has detected the procedure), my only regret was not being slightly more aggressive in hairline design. Dr Ball is very conservative in his approach, and his less is more design was part of the initial reason I went with him and the team at TMC.

However, human nature being how it is meant around 2 years later (May 2018) I began considering a second procedure to be a tiny bit more aggressive (bringing the hairline forward literally 2-3mm and gaining some more density in the frontal zone).

I therefore made contact with David Anderson around June 2018 and by the end of September I was in the chair again at TMC for my second FUE procedure. This time it was a much smaller procedure of 550-600 grafts (I think the final number was circa 580 grafts with 950 hairs).

The procedure went like clockwork, as it did on the first surgery. In Turkey I would have been in and out in 3 hours for a procedure of this size but Dr Ball and the team treated me like a rock star, with me the only patient for the day. I'm a creature of habit (and very OCD...) and did exactly the same routine as the previous surgery;

-I drove down from Suffolk (3.5hr drive) the afternoon before surgery and stayed at Cavendish Lodge in Southsea (I highly recommend it, 20 mins by car - 5 miles - to the clinic and the best and most attentive hosts you will ever meet)

-I enjoyed a lovely Chinese meal at the same restaurant as I had previously in Southsea which is a 30 second walk from the B & B (told you I was a creature of habit) €¦

- After a good nights sleep I then drove myself to the clinic from the B&B and arrived at the clinic around 8.15am (this time I opted to wear a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms, rather than jeans and a shirt as I did in 2016 - far more comfortable for surgery)

- I was met for the usual pre surgery chat by Dr Ball and although I'd had a good short haircut (0.5 fade/taper on back and sides), I knew that Dr Ball would still need to shave down the back and sides to a 0 (I have kept the top at around 2" in length for both surgeries). I must also say Dr Ball's barbering has definitely improved too, he did a good job of blending in the top with the back/sides, although he isn't quite giving the Turkish barbers a run for their money yet...! :0)

- surgery began at about 9:30am and by the time I had taken my 2 Diazepam I was relaxed and (weirdly) quite enjoyed the surgery again, as I flicked through You Tube and Netflix for things to watch during the day

- It was great to see Janna working alongside Ildi as the technicians more than ably assisted Dr Ball throughout the day. Janna was on holiday for my first surgery but having spoken to her many times over the last 2 years I was very reassured to know she would be working on me. Ildi was exactly as I remember her from the first surgery, very professional but brilliant in putting you at ease and a wicked sense of humour. Those 3 combined really are the best team you can have working on your HT anywhere in the world!

- After breaking for lunch, the implantation was finished at just after 4pm and after ordering me a taxi and going through the post op instructions I was back at the B & B not long after 5pm

- I slept like a baby that night and after a lovely full English and pot of coffee at the B & B the following morning I got a taxi back to the clinic to collect my car and was back in Suffolk by early afternoon to relax for a week

- One week after surgery I took my Mum to France for a week away (Avignon - incredible place!) before I was back at work in my office 16 days after surgery. I had my first hair cut on day 15 (the day before returning to work) and although a few commented again how short it was (as they did after my first surgery), not one person had any idea I had just had my second HT. Proof that if you plan it right, you really can get away with an HT even in a nosey office environment...

- Recovery was much easier than my first HT. I had horrible swelling for 6-7 days in 2016 but had literally nothing this time. However, the one difference I have noticed this time is shock loss around the transplanted area. It was falling out by the bucket load around 1-3 weeks after surgery, but over the last 4-5 weeks has stabilised and will hopefully grow back. It was a little scary though, I remember seeing hair everywhere in the bath on holiday, but I know this is a normal reaction and tried not to let it spook me and kept on with my usual routine of Fin, Biotin and Nizoral

So, I'm now 8 weeks post surgery and my hair probably looks slightly worse/thinner in the front than it did before surgery. The mind does however play tricks......but I can not wait to see how things start to look in Feb/March 2019....not that I'm wishing the year away of course!

Once again, thanks to all at TMC, from David planning my surgery, the team on the day and the post op follow ups from Janna. They really do care, and that's why I care about writing my positive experience down and sharing it.

If you made it this far, give yourself a pat on the back, and have a lie down. I will post some pics shortly which Janna has kindly agreed to send through. Until then, thanks for your time and watch this space....Regards to all, Bongo.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi Bongo!

"If you made it this far, give yourself a pat on the back, and have a lie down. I will post some pics shortly which Janna has kindly agreed to send through. Until then, thanks for your time and watch this space....Regards to all, Bongo"

Ha, ha, you've got a great sense of humour!! Your pics have been sent. If you need them cropped more, please let me know.

Thanks so much for posting such a detailed and positive experience of your surgery with us! So pleased to have worked with you in restoring your hair.
I've got your graft breakdown from your second top up FUE procedure.

Total: 572 Grafts
1 hair - 255
2 hair - 262
3 hair - 55

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Dr Edward Ball and Bongo`s plan drawn for his second top-up FUE in September 2018:

15_201700_180000000.jpg

Immediate post surgery

15_201700_180000001.jpg

bullitnut

bullitnut

Congratulations on your second surgery with the Maitland Team. This surgery really is going to be the icing on the cake for you I'm sure dude. The work looks very refined and clean as always.
Can't wait to see this progress.
I really enjoyed reading this thank you.
Thanks for posting his pictures Janna :)
Hope your Keeping well.
Best wishes BN

Bongo

Bongo

Many thanks Bullitnut, hopefully it will be my second and final one. I will post a couple of update photos in the new year, all being well.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Bongo wrote:
Many thanks Bullitnut, hopefully it will be my second and final one. I will post a couple of update photos in the new year, all being well.

Look forward to them and your welcome dude.
best wishes BN

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
The work looks nice and neat, it should add a nice finishing touch once grown in.
All the best.
BM.

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
All the very best on your second surgery mate it is only going to enhance the result you already have which is brilliant , nice to see patients planning with their surgeon looking forward to your updates
Daz

Bongo

Bongo

Thanks BM, much appreciated. Hopefully i'll be seeing some early growth in the next couple of months. All the best, Bongo.

Bongo

Bongo

You're a good man Dazzster, always posting positivity in a mostly negative world. Thanks for the comment and I will post some photos in new year. Regards, Bongo.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Early growth is always good. I`m sure it will turn out great.