• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

FUE Procedure with Dr Arshad (The Hair Dr) – 3149 Grafts – 12.11.2020

H

HTL33

Looking back over your photos between 3 months and 5 months you can see so much change!

Great to know you haven’t cut your hair in 5 months on top, these little things help me deciding what to do with mine. I think I’ll be doing the same just a trim on the sides and back for now.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Hi Hoping_for_hair, thanks very much for your comment and I appreciate the feedback. Hope everything is going well for you on your HT journey =).

I think the confidence improvement has really made a difference to my life and if you were in a similar situation to me before your procedure, I hope it will have a similar impact on you, too. It's the idea that you're making progress that really helps.

Pic 7 was a pleasant surprise and it shows what you can do when you grow your hair longer on top. Really helps to conceal the thinner parts of my scalp in general and maybe I'll be lucky enough to wear a shorter style on top at 18 months. I'll just take month-by-month for now and hope to see more results in the next set of photos.

I think you're right that I'm overanalysing the sides. It's a small price to pay for now in order to have more hair on top, I'd say. Thank you - let's hope it grows back soon.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend and take care,
Matt
Thanks Matt

Yes I'm.a few months behind you but similar place with hoping my HT helps with my confidence. Despite the ugly phase just knowing I am doing something about it is helping at the moment while I wait to see what growth comes!

It's hard to be objective with yourself on the sides - I know i.am the same! Like you say it's good to focus on the positive of more on top!

M

Matt88

Hi Matt. It`s good to hear you`re happy with the progress and you`re regaining your confidence. At 5 months the hairline growth is looking good, the longer hair is helping with the overall look.
The shock loss on the side is taking a bit longer to recover than usual but I have seen patients take 6-7 months so I think you should be ok in the coming months.
Thanks for the update.
Hi Bigmac, thank you for your kind words and yes, the confidence really is making a difference. Before my HT, thinking about my hair was a bit like a punch in the stomach, so it's just really nice not to have that now.

Thank you - I'll keep growing my hair out on top until it starts to look a bit too long. By then, hopefully there'll be enough new hair maturing to blend well. It's paid off resisting the urge to buzz-cut everything short.

And I appreciate the comment about the shock loss. I would have honestly expected it to grow back by now, but I'm reassured that for some people it just takes longer. We'll see how it is in the next photos.

Many thanks again,
Matt

M

Matt88

Looking back over your photos between 3 months and 5 months you can see so much change!

Great to know you haven’t cut your hair in 5 months on top, these little things help me deciding what to do with mine. I think I’ll be doing the same just a trim on the sides and back for now.
Thank you for looking through the photos, HTL33 :). I think it might well be a combination of the Finasteride (and maybe Minoxidil, Biotin etc.), transplanted hairs and general longer length on top contributing to the improved look over the last couple of months. It's certainly an example of things improving after reaching the 3-month milestone, so I imagine a similar progression is in store for you, too.

I think that as long you keep the back and sides at a short, tidy length, you can get away with letting it grow longer on top. That was my thinking, anyway, and I'm glad I didn't buzz cut my hair because I already see it somewhat taking the form of a style I might want it to be. I'll be curious to know what you choose to do with yours.

All the best,
Matt

M

Matt88

Thanks Matt

Yes I'm.a few months behind you but similar place with hoping my HT helps with my confidence. Despite the ugly phase just knowing I am doing something about it is helping at the moment while I wait to see what growth comes!

It's hard to be objective with yourself on the sides - I know i.am the same! Like you say it's good to focus on the positive of more on top!
Hey Hoping_for_hair, I have a feeling that your progress over the next few months will contribute to your overall self-esteem (as it has with mine). I'd say we all want the best head of hair we can achieve, but we're also buoyed seeing our progress month on month, so that's why I can't see why you wouldn't feel better about yourself as time goes by, too :).

And I know exactly what you mean - even though I was in the ugly duckling phase before and I was very self-conscious, just being confident in having chosen a surgeon who I think can help me was a massive relief. I hope the same goes for you as well.

Definitely, mate, the positives are much better to focus on. As it stands, whatever I choose to scrutinise myself on, I'm not going to know the full picture until 12 months, anyway. So there's nothing much that can be done, although I can just remind myself that I did the best research that I could and used all the financial resources that were available to me to get the best result possible.

Looking forward to following your progress and thanks again,
Matt

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bigmac, thank you for your kind words and yes, the confidence really is making a difference. Before my HT, thinking about my hair was a bit like a punch in the stomach, so it's just really nice not to have that now.

Thank you - I'll keep growing my hair out on top until it starts to look a bit too long. By then, hopefully there'll be enough new hair maturing to blend well. It's paid off resisting the urge to buzz-cut everything short.

And I appreciate the comment about the shock loss. I would have honestly expected it to grow back by now, but I'm reassured that for some people it just takes longer. We'll see how it is in the next photos.

Many thanks again,
Matt

Having your confidence increased and feeling good about yourself has a positive effect on your overall wellbeing.
Fingers crossed the shocked hair returns soon. Have you asked Dr Arshad if it`s worth using Minoxidil on the area to increase blood flow?

M

Matt88

Having your confidence increased and feeling good about yourself has a positive effect on your overall wellbeing.
Fingers crossed the shocked hair returns soon. Have you asked Dr Arshad if it`s worth using Minoxidil on the area to increase blood flow?
Thank you, Bigmac - I'm certainly noticing that overall wellbeing effect. My mind feels lighter and, as someone who's prone to quite low mood, this really helps, although I'm aware having better hair on my head isn't the answer to everything.

Thanks and definitely, fingers crossed it does. That's a good shout about using Minoxidil on the affected area and, I'll be honest, The Hair Dr did mention this as an option soon after I noticed the shock loss. However, I wasn't too fussed at the time about speeding up growth there and I just assumed it would grow back, regardless of whether I used Minoxidil or not. Have I misunderstood something here? The affected area should theoretically grow back on its own without the need for Minoxidil, right? Sure, Minoxidil could speed up the process, but if something more sinister is at play here and the shocked area won't grow back at all, then am I wrong in thinking that Minoxidil wouldn't make a difference anyway?

Many thanks,
Matt

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That`s good you`re noticing the positive effect it`s having.
The Minoxidil is used to speed up the growth. It increases the blood supply to the area which in turn helps it heal quicker. Without it, the hair should still return unless like you say, something has gone wrong but I doubt that is the case.

M

Matt88

That`s good you`re noticing the positive effect it`s having.
The Minoxidil is used to speed up the growth. It increases the blood supply to the area which in turn helps it heal quicker. Without it, the hair should still return unless like you say, something has gone wrong but I doubt that is the case.
Thanks a lot, Bigmac. I guess we'll just wait and see, but I'm probably just slow to grow that hair back.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it can take time and unfortunately it`s happened to you. Hopefully, sooner rather than later it returns to normal.

M

Matt88

6 Calendar Months Post-Op

Hi @BaldingBaby , thank you very much for the message and I've been meaning to upload my photos from last week, so here they are at six calendar months.

This is the first month where I don't think there has been much change apart from the fact that my hair is obviously a month longer on top. I'm fortunate to have read in other posts that this can be quite normal, so I'll see where I am next month.

All photos are taken in harsh bathroom light, with the first couple being the most severe with wet hair. I'm hoping the diffuse area running from the front all the way back to the crown might thicken up somewhat because I realise that my hair starts to look a bit flat behind the frontal tuft when I style it. I know now that this could have been preventable had I started on Finasteride when I first noticed my hair loss (in case anyone reading is in two minds about medication, it's definitely worth trying). In any case, I am grateful for the results so far and for the aftercare from The Hair Dr which is fantastic.

@Bigmac , My partner kindly trimmed my back and sides to grade 2 and, from the photos, I'm unsure if my donor looks patchy because of my grey hair or because of shock loss. In any case, Dr Arshad recommended I grow the back and sides longer at this stage. One of the reasons I liked the idea of FUE was because I'd still be able to buzz my hair down to a 2 and I hope this will still be possible after a 12-18 months.

I hope everyone is well and please let me know if you have any questions about my HT or the service from The Hair Dr.

Take care,
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_213023.jpg
    IMG_20210511_213023.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20210511_213101.jpg
    IMG_20210511_213101.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20210511_213330.jpg
    IMG_20210511_213330.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20210511_214128.jpg
    IMG_20210511_214128.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_20210511_214136.jpg
    IMG_20210511_214136.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20210511_214209.jpg
    IMG_20210511_214209.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20210511_214214.jpg
    IMG_20210511_214214.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20210511_214231.jpg
    IMG_20210511_214231.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20210511_214259.jpg
    IMG_20210511_214259.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20210511_214314.jpg
    IMG_20210511_214314.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20210511_214321.jpg
    IMG_20210511_214321.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 283
M

My2021story

6 Calendar Months Post-Op

Hi @BaldingBaby , thank you very much for the message and I've been meaning to upload my photos from last week, so here they are at six calendar months.

This is the first month where I don't think there has been much change apart from the fact that my hair is obviously a month longer on top. I'm fortunate to have read in other posts that this can be quite normal, so I'll see where I am next month.

All photos are taken in harsh bathroom light, with the first couple being the most severe with wet hair. I'm hoping the diffuse area running from the front all the way back to the crown might thicken up somewhat because I realise that my hair starts to look a bit flat behind the frontal tuft when I style it. I know now that this could have been preventable had I started on Finasteride when I first noticed my hair loss (in case anyone reading is in two minds about medication, it's definitely worth trying). In any case, I am grateful for the results so far and for the aftercare from The Hair Dr which is fantastic.

@Bigmac , My partner kindly trimmed my back and sides to grade 2 and, from the photos, I'm unsure if my donor looks patchy because of my grey hair or because of shock loss. In any case, Dr Arshad recommended I grow the back and sides longer at this stage. One of the reasons I liked the idea of FUE was because I'd still be able to buzz my hair down to a 2 and I hope this will still be possible after a 12-18 months.

I hope everyone is well and please let me know if you have any questions about my HT or the service from The Hair Dr.

Take care,
Matt
I’m about 3 weeks behind you @Matt88 so following closely.
Looks like you are having some growth!
My donor is also a little thinner in places. Dr Arshad advised me to wear the hair a little longer also, and to apply Minoxidil to help growth.
@Bigmac - typically how long should it take a donor to fully recover from any shock loss?

M

Matt88

I’m about 3 weeks behind you @Matt88 so following closely.
Looks like you are having some growth!
My donor is also a little thinner in places. Dr Arshad advised me to wear the hair a little longer also, and to apply Minoxidil to help growth.
@Bigmac - typically how long should it take a donor to fully recover from any shock loss?
Hi My2021story, thanks very much for your comment! Looking at your thread right now, your change from pre-op to 4.5 months is fantastic and your donor is excellent considering you had 4817 grafts taken! Wow - mega session. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the coming months.

Admittedly, Dr Arshad also advised me to use Minoxidil, although I didn't because I just assumed the hair would come back. I've seen on this forum that some people's shock loss has taken up to a year to recover, so I'm likely one of the slow growers there. I suppose there's nothing wrong with letting it grow just a bit longer if it conceals the thin patches, although I'd ideally like to go back to a short length eventually. If that doesn't happen, then that's just the cost of having thicker hair on top.

Hope you're well and thanks again,
Matt

B

BaldingBaby

I'm very close to booking with Arshad so thanks a lot for updating.

I can see some definite improvements, your hair looks really good dry to be honest but I understand why it's not where you want it to be at the moment. Hopefully it thickens up over the next few months.

M

Matt88

I'm very close to booking with Arshad so thanks a lot for updating.

I can see some definite improvements, your hair looks really good dry to be honest but I understand why it's not where you want it to be at the moment. Hopefully it thickens up over the next few months.
That's great to hear, BaldingBaby! No problem at all - I'm glad these updates are helping you get close to booking in for your transplant. Out of curiosity, which clinics are on your shortlist?

Thanks very much - there are gradual improvements, I'd say, and I have to remind myself that I'm only six months in, so there's a chance things will progress if I've responded well to the procedure. We shall wait and see. I'm grateful that I don't think twice about leaving the house anymore. Just having that luxury means so much.

Best wishes,
Matt

B

BaldingBaby

That's great to hear, BaldingBaby! No problem at all - I'm glad these updates are helping you get close to booking in for your transplant. Out of curiosity, which clinics are on your shortlist?

Thanks very much - there are gradual improvements, I'd say, and I have to remind myself that I'm only six months in, so there's a chance things will progress if I've responded well to the procedure. We shall wait and see. I'm grateful that I don't think twice about leaving the house anymore. Just having that luxury means so much.

Best wishes,
Matt
I'm thinking of Bisanga / Bruno Ferreira really but the waiting list and the travel restrictions are kind of off putting at the moment.

M

Matt88

I'm thinking of Bisanga / Bruno Ferreira really but the waiting list and the travel restrictions are kind of off putting at the moment.
Completely see what you mean, but it depends on what your priorities are, I suppose. What kind of waiting times are you looking at with them?

B

BaldingBaby

Completely see what you mean, but it depends on what your priorities are, I suppose. What kind of waiting times are you looking at with them?
Depends, Bruno Ferreira last time I checked it was 2-3 months. Not too sure about Bisanga as he wanted to examine my recipient area in person but I was told it was about 2 months. Might be even longer now with the travel restrictions being lifted.

M

Matt88

Depends, Bruno Ferreira last time I checked it was 2-3 months. Not too sure about Bisanga as he wanted to examine my recipient area in person but I was told it was about 2 months. Might be even longer now with the travel restrictions being lifted.
I see, that would seem a while if you just want to get it done faster. Well if you have any questions about my experience with The Hair Dr, just let me know, although I imagine you've got a pretty good idea from being on this forum.