• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

FUE Transplant experience with Dr Bisanga, BHR clinic, Brussels

H

hair-raiser

Valued member
Hi Everyone

I've just registered with this forum and wanted to share my experience of undergoing FUE at the BHR clinic in Brussels. I was going to write a lengthy post describing in detail my journey that lead to eventually going for the decision to undergo FUE but I'll keep it brief and will answer any questions that may be asked later.

Basically I started noticing my hair loss in my mid to late 20's and did some research after trying to ignore it for a while and started using minoxidil at first, followed later by Proscar and when available Dutasteride. I can't say I experienced any of the side effects with any of these that you read about and mangaed to halt my hair loss but by then I'd lost a fair bit in my crown and vertex. (dutersteride did in my opinion thicken up what I had left but wasnt the great hope I feel was given to it prior to its release).

So for the past few years I've kept up this treatment while keeping my eye on anything new that may be in the pipeline such as hair cloning. However with nothing iminent due out I decided last year to research hair transplant techniques on various forums and eventually decided to at least consult with someone who's name was constantly recommended for high quality work, i.e. Dr Bisanga in Brussels.

I exchanged a few emails with PhilB from the BHR clinic initially and agreed a date in mid-March to visit the clinic. To say I was nervous even during this satge was an understatement but the manner of Phil's emails was very reassuring.

By the time I visited the clinic my nerves were really on edge, and just ringing the buzzer to gain entry took some doing, but as soon as I stepped in and met Phil and the staff their reassurances and friendly professional manner took all that away. I then met Dr Chris Bisanga who's was also really friendly. I discussed what it was I was aiming for and that I wanted FUE rather than strip and he recommended 1500 grafts to achieve filling in my crown and vertex.

I won't go into the procedure in detail as that has been done many times before. All I'll say is that it is a long procedure and to make sure you are in a comfortable position when the grafts are being placed - I had a bit of cramp and kept moving which does not help things until I asked to readjust my position. I'll also say that the staff are all extremely pleasant and professional during the whole thing, and I cannot say how highly appreciative I was that they helped settle my nerves, especially Phil and Dr Bisanga.

One of main concerns about the whole thing was how soon I could face friends, family etc without it showing that I had had this done. I did have my whole head shaved so this was quite a worry but I had arranged for 2 weeks on my own afterwards and I'd say this is the minimum you need. I'm coming up to the 3 week mark tomorrow and have been out and about for the past 6 days - none of my close friends have noticed anything and all I've said about the short buzz cut look is that I fancied a change for the summer.

I did mean to take photographs showing the progress during these 2-3 weeks but unfortunately the quality of the photo's I took with my old digital camera was too poor. Phil took some photo's over the first 2 days and I'll email him now to post them. I fully intend to keep in touch with Phil so that I can arrange to take photo's over the course of the next 12 months.

Any questions please ask away. Just want to finsih by saying I cannot reccomend the BHR clinic highly enough.

Best wishes to all.

Last edited:
janna

janna

Valuable Member
Looking forward to following your progress. I'm sure you'll have a great outcome.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Hair Raiser and welcome to the forum.

Great write up,i`m pleased you`ve had a very good experience with Dr Bisanga.

Looking forward to seeing your surgery pictures.

Thanks bm.

P

Philb

Hi Hair raiser,

Good to hear from you, I know you said you had camera problems but here here are your pre op, imm. post op and 1 &2 day healing pictures. Hope all is well with you, the Gooners may be down but not out!

hair raiser may not for many have obvious hair loss, decent front line but had thinned through the central area and the crown. He/We wanted to increase the density in these areas without upsetting the balance of his native hair, the placement of a relatively small amount of grafts reflects this, 1500. The distribution will be crucial to increase the volume of hair in the key areas and with hair raiser's updates will be able to view his progression.

Anyway, here are hair raiser's pics

PRE OP

1PreOp.jpg

1PreOp7.jpg

1PreOp8.jpg

POST OP PICTURES

21500FUEPostOp.jpg

21500FUEPostOp2.jpg

21500FUEPostOp7.jpg

1 DAY POST OP

31DayPostOp.jpg

31DayPostOp4.jpg

31DayPostOp5.jpg

31DayPostOp7.jpg

31DayPostOp9.jpg

2 DAYS POST OP

42DaysPostOp2.jpg

42DaysPostOp4.jpg

42DaysPostOp3.jpg

42DaysPostOp5.jpg

42DaysPostOp.jpg

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
HR,

Glad you found this forum. Great write up. This will only help others that are deciding what to do with their hairloss. It will be nice to follow your progress. The pics look great and I would believe that it will make a great cosmetic improvement. The work is very clean and refined. Keep us posted.

NN

H

hair-raiser

Valued member
Hi

Thanks for your welcome and thanks to Phil from BHR for posting the pictures. There's always next season for the Gooners Phil - mind you we seem to be saying that every season at the moment :)

I'm hoping to catch up with Phil hopefully around the 4 and 6 month marks for more photos as hopefully these will be the time points when there is something worth showing.

Happy to answer any questions in the meantime regarding the procedure and recovery period during the weeks following it.

Cheers
H-r :)

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Phil for adding the surgery pictures.The work looks good.

Nice friar tuc haircut before shaving it all off.:)

H

hair-raiser

Valued member
4 weeks and redness in the recipient area has calmed down a lot in the past 5 days.

Now that the non transplanted hair in the recipent area is growing it is also a lot easier to apply a bit of Toppik to cover up the area.

That's one thing that I haven't sen discussed much and that's how to best deal with this type of thing while growing the hair out to the length it was previously - while my hair was at its original length it was much easire to cover up the crown obvioulsy and having it short as it is now makes things feel somewhat exposed.

Just glad about being able to use toppik as it looked so unatural in the first few weeks it wsan't an option

Cheers

Hr

P

Philb

Hi HR,

Good to hear you are getting back to normal....for you anyway; Sorry about the interim hair cut, never the easiest thing to go from all to shaved and then wait for it to come back.

By the way, I think we have another Brython, Cymro here, Shang I think it is, you guys are taking over!

H

hair-raiser

Valued member
Hi Phil

Sorry I couldn't make it to London last week - had work commitments worse luck. Let me know when you're here in the future though and I'll pop up.

I was going to post a question regarding having a hair cut using a shaver on the forum but may as well ask it here - is it ok to have a cut like this 5 weeeks post op?

It's the 5 week mark tomorrow - can't believe how quickly time is passing. All is going well on the healing of the recipient - been using Folligen having seen it recommended for post op healing and it does seem to have helped. shame I havent been able to document the recovery period with photo's but hopefully we can meet in London in a few months maybe for you to get some updates

Hope all is well over there!

P

Philb

Hi HR,

You will be fine to shave now, obviously ensure the blade is sterile clean but that is normal anyway, maybe moisturise the skin before by massaging a little aloe vera gel or shaving foam just so it is not too dry.

You know what you want to ask for your birthday, a new camera!

All is well here thanks, hope the same for you, keep the jokes coming.

Take care, Phil

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
hair-raiser wrote:
4 weeks and redness in the recipient area has calmed down a lot in the past 5 days.

Now that the non transplanted hair in the recipent area is growing it is also a lot easier to apply a bit of Toppik to cover up the area.

That's one thing that I haven't sen discussed much and that's how to best deal with this type of thing while growing the hair out to the length it was previously - while my hair was at its original length it was much easire to cover up the crown obvioulsy and having it short as it is now makes things feel somewhat exposed.

Just glad about being able to use toppik as it looked so unatural in the first few weeks it wsan't an option

Cheers

Hr

Hi Hair-Raiser.

I too used a concealer post op on my crown to aid myself in the recovery period.It helps so much to give that normal look imo.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Cheers bm.

H

hair-raiser

Valued member
Thanks Spex

Seen your posts on various other forums and the info you've presented has been invaluable