• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair loss and mental health!

K

k-dog

Been suffering with hair loss since I was 28 and am now 40. Had 1 FUT procedure at the age of 31 which i told no friends or family about and did it all alone. I have to say that I was expecting a lot more from it and feel not very happy with the outcome. As with a lot of people they do very little reasurch or none atall and just go on price. With hindsight I wish I had held off and looked into it in more detail. Anyways what im trying to get to is my questions and some of my feelings I have is to any of you guys on here is do you find your hair loss all consuming? I know I do. From always looking at other mens hair cuts and styles and wishing I could go back to the days of confident hair styles with products etc. Another feeling I get is totally being paranoid about my FUT scar being noticed by friends and work colleagues and trying to think of excuses of what I could say happend etc. Also a total dread of going to the barber and having him her cut my receding hair line and them seeing my scar and me to ashamed to say anything about it. Feeling guilt that no one in my family know i had a HT. The feeling of being so alone with my thoughts on my hairloss and only having a place like this forum to talk to like minded people about hair loss. You guys help me alot on here which I thank you for. I know I have a mental problem about my hair loss and am to scared to open up to friends or family about it. Would love some feedback from people if they suffer or relate to any of the things I mentioned. Sorry about my poor English and punctuation as I am Dyslexic.

Thanks

Arnold6

Arnold6

Anxiety and hair loss go hand in hand for a lot of people. Society has created a taboo that you need hair to look good and be successful which is not true but we all deal with it in varying ways. Don't beat yourself up, you made a mistake going to a clinic that did not produce the desired result, it happens to many. What you can do is make sure your next choice is the right move, get fixed and have a positive outlook.
If it is causing you major problems go see your family physician who may be able to help.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hair loss can be very distressing and have a negative affect on your self-esteem. The psychological impact and emotional suffering can lead to personal, social, and work-related problems. Losing your hair changes your look, if you lose your hairline it will change how your face is defined, losing your crown makes you feel a lot older than your real age.
We do put too much into what others think. In reality, most people don`t notice or care. The ones who do comment on other people's loss usually have their own insecurities.
I think a good place to start is with your general practitioner, they may be able to prescribe something to alleviate the anxiety. You need to have a plan on what repair you need. With you having FUT I`d guess you still have enough donor left to have your situation rectified. Maybe a scar revision would work or FUE placed into it and any thinning areas addressed at the same time.

I had bad surgeries that needed repairing. It took a while but I got there in the end. Now Finasteride maintains my hair.

K

k-dog

Anxiety and hair loss go hand in hand for a lot of people. Society has created a taboo that you need hair to look good and be successful which is not true but we all deal with it in varying ways. Don't beat yourself up, you made a mistake going to a clinic that did not produce the desired result, it happens to many. What you can do is make sure your next choice is the right move, get fixed and have a positive outlook.
If it is causing you major problems go see your family physician who may be able to help.
Many thanks for your advice regarding my isues regarding hair loss and mental health.

S

smokeybacon

We do put too much into what others think. In reality, most people don`t notice or care.

I agree, it´s all about likes and validation from others. Reality is most don´t notice enough to care, good point bigmac.

K

k-dog

Thanks bicmac for your responce. You hit the nail on the head about the part where hair loss changes how your face is defined and it making you feel older. I guess my next step is to sort it out with a Dr and make a plan moving forward. I did hear good things about the Maitland clinic here in the UK and was wondering if you had any knowledge of them? I have watched some of their video content on YouTube seeing Dr ball and his team they seem like a very ethical practice. Thanks

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I keep my head buzzed to a #1 most of the time to hide the fact I'm balding. I suit the cropped look but there is an appearance difference between slick bald and short hair stubbles. I don't like being in situations where I'm sitting down with people behind me who can see my thinning crown, it makes me paranoid.

K

k-dog

I keep my head buzzed to a #1 most of the time to hide the fact I'm balding. I suit the cropped look but there is an appearance difference between slick bald and short hair stubbles. I don't like being in situations where I'm sitting down with people behind me who can see my thinning crown, it makes me paranoid.
I know what you mean kevboy. I have same feeling about my thining front region and non perfect hair line. Also worried when people are behind me that they will notice my FUT scar. I had a few people notice it from behind when I had my hair at a no4 so now never go lower than a no5 back and sides which does hide it. Still try to avoid social situations where I will style my hair but feel like i cant not style it to go out. Im consantly worried about people looking at my hair line.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks bicmac for your responce. You hit the nail on the head about the part where hair loss changes how your face is defined and it making you feel older. I guess my next step is to sort it out with a Dr and make a plan moving forward. I did hear good things about the Maitland clinic here in the UK and was wondering if you had any knowledge of them? I have watched some of their video content on YouTube seeing Dr ball and his team they seem like a very ethical practice. Thanks

There are quite a few patient results if you search the patient section and they have results posted in their own section https://www.hairlossexperiences.com/forums/dr-edward-maitland-ball.30/

elizabethbrown

elizabethbrown

The fact is that mental health causes hair loss. Hair loss is a common issue. But hair loss due to stress is a big problem. Stress has a detrimental effect on hair health. Problems like thinning hair, dry hair, and weakening of hair, etc. also occur. Dandruff, climate change, dust, soil, pollution cause hair loss, but hormonal and internal changes also stunt hair growth.