• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair Transplant for a Norwood 5

C

cami

Hi everyone, I am thinking of having a hair transplant at the age of 50 but I am a little confused. I have a completely bald head, probably NW5. My question, is having a hair transplant on a completely bald head going to look natural?

Attachments

• Norwood 5 hair loss.jpg
    Norwood 5 hair loss.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 221
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Cami.
The hair transplant can look natural if performed by a skilled person who knows what they are doing. Your donor will need to be assessed to see how many grafts you have available, then a plan of action discussed with the clinic.
What are you wanting to achieve? Is it full coverage or concentrating on the frontal half?

C

cami

Hi Big mac,
Thanks for the reply. I would like to concentrate on the front. I have had two consultations with surgeons, Dr Bisanga and Dr koray Erdogan. Both have suggested I am the ideal candidate for a procedure. I apparently have a good donor area and a good colour. I am so afraid about regretting having a procedure done and concerned about how natural it would look. I sometimes think, if I got a hair transplant and wasn't happy with it I could always shave my head, similar to how I have it now. Trouble is, am not sure if I shave my head it would be easy for people to spot I have had a hair transplant.

Dr Arvind

Dr Arvind

Valued member
For a moment when I read the topic title it seemed you had alopecia universalis and would have suggested SMP in such a condition.
SMP Pictures

In your condition, however, a hair transplant is a very good option.
However, I personally believe that no bald person wants to undergo HT to become half bald. Everyone wants to be as close to a full head of hair appearance (exceptions exist).

How is your beard and body donor hair? Any pictures would be helpful.

A conservatively high hairline covering entire vertex and crown at a moderate density will require a combination of scalp, beard and body hair.
You appear to be a Caucasian... blessed with a dense beard :) .
If you have doubts regarding use of beard hair, then go for a 2 step hair restoration.
In first session, focus on frontal areas using mostly scalp hair. Bur DO go for test session of facial hair.
That way, we have been able to routinely harvest 3000 to 5000 grafts from the beard alone while the patient still has a beard, although thinner then before.
Some case results Pictures
Looking forward to your body donor pictures.
Regards,
Dr. A

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Take your time researching if you`re a little unsure. Only have a hair transplant if you`re sure it`s what you want. Once it`s done it`s done. If you go ahead, the clinic should plan your graft placement taking into consideration you may lose more hair or decide to shave it down. You want the hair transplant to be able to stand alone and look natural if loss continues.

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

Hello @cami .
To help your coverage you have been given good advice regarding using beard grafts . I have used beard grafts myself and to date Im very happy with progress so far . It's a good option to have especially for high norwoods where regular scalp hair will only go so far to give full coverage and good density.
How many grafts did Dr.Bisanga and Dr.Erdogan say you needed ? How much did they quote you ?
In my opinion cost should not be the overriding factor in Your decision making , although I understand budgets can only stretch so far.
Paddy

M

MisterQ

At what age was your hair loss noticeable to the extent of looking bald?