• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hairline and Coarse Hair

H

Hishmo

I have a question for the community that I hope can be answered. What happens if you require your hairline lowered but all your donor hair is thick in caliber? Would it be wise to go ahead? Or, would softer hairs from your arms and legs be ok to use? I was told by a doctor that he can safely use these hairs but I'm not sure if this is true. I don't want to waste my cash on something that will end in failure.

T

Todd

I've read online that only chest and beard hair should be used but not for the hairline. I did read some patient story where nape hair was used to create a finer hairline but I've also read that nape hair is susceptible to MPB. Is all your donor coarse hair? I thought there was a mixture of different caliber hairs.

H

Hishmo

I will check out my nape hair but I'm pretty sure it's the same as the rest. All my donor looks the same and the doctor said he would struggle to get finer hair to put in my hairline.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
The clinic should be able to sort finer follicular grafts to use on your hairline. Sometimes they will have to split larger follicular unit groupings into singles and then use the finer hairs. See the image below that shows different caliber hairs. The 3 hair graft could be dissected into 3 single hair units.

follicular unit.png

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If you don`t mind me asking, what ethnicity are you? People from different ethnic backgrounds usually have different types of hair, some more coarse than others.

H

Hishmo

I'm Caucasian with Native American ancestors. I see what you're saying with the different caliber hairs and the splitting to create more ones to sit in the frontal rows. I think I'll speak with another clinic and see if their diagnosis is the same.

Dr. A s Clinic

Dr. A s Clinic

Valued member
It is possible to use fine calibre/diameter hair from forearms or other body areas (armpit, nape etc.) to feather the hairline. Racial factors make a huge difference.
North Indians have finer calibre hair compared to people from North East India. Mid India you will find coarse hair and in south india curly hair are more common.
Not to say that is the rule.
One has to customize according to the patient. See the donor hair on the body. The Caucasians usually have a lot whereas oriental people have very few. You may come across people with hardly any chest hair.
So, it has to be a mix and match alongwith eliciting whether there is a family history of loss of nape hair.

Often ignored is the scalp hair just behind the earlobe. They are fine diameter, permanent, and often an excellent match for feathering of the hairline.

Regards,
Dr. A

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Curious as to which country you reside and where the clinic is located that you're checking into. Be careful on where the donor hair is selected. In my opinion, the body hairs should be used if your scalp hair is depleted. A doctor can generally select finer caliber hairs in the scalp donor area for the hairline. Hopefully, you'll select a clinic who have proven track record of producing natural hairlines. Best of luck!

Reactions: sl
H

Hishmo

It is possible to use fine calibre/diameter hair from forearms or other body areas (armpit, nape etc.) to feather the hairline. Racial factors make a huge difference.
North Indians have finer calibre hair compared to people from North East India. Mid India you will find coarse hair and in south india curly hair are more common.
Not to say that is the rule.
One has to customize according to the patient. See the donor hair on the body. The Caucasians usually have a lot whereas oriental people have very few. You may come across people with hardly any chest hair.
So, it has to be a mix and match alongwith eliciting whether there is a family history of loss of nape hair.

Often ignored is the scalp hair just behind the earlobe. They are fine diameter, permanent, and often an excellent match for feathering of the hairline.

Regards,
Dr. A

I was not aware forearm hair could be used. What are the survival rates for this? I have checked the hair behind my ears, you are correct, it is finer. How much hair can be safely taken from these areas before it becomes noticeably thinner?

H

Hishmo

Curious as to which country you reside and where the clinic is located that you're checking into. Be careful on where the donor hair is selected. In my opinion, the body hairs should be used if your scalp hair is depleted. A doctor can generally select finer caliber hairs in the scalp donor area for the hairline. Hopefully, you'll select a clinic who have proven track record of producing natural hairlines. Best of luck!

I reside in the US, the clinic is based in California. I will seek a second and third opinion on my donor suitability before deciding what to do.