• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

How booking an appointment with SMG changed my life forever!!!!!!!!

V

Vin Petrol

Valued member
So after finally trawling through online adverts, testimonials, looking in the mirror at my lack of head fluff, reading horror stories or lack of professional discipline, looking back in the mirror to discover my hair still wasn't growing back on its own merits, more emails, consultations and opinions from experienced HT patients...I made up my mind.

After looking at all the facts placed before me, as well as the excellent customer service from Janna and Matt, I got myself booked in with SMG for Tuesday 11th November, 2008.

I was naturally apprehensive about it but now there was no turning back. Typically i knew that as long as i booked myself in with SMG and bought the flights to MPLS then i knew I wouldn't turn back on it. Not me. No way. Not today Jose.

So having said that.....I then backed out. Doh!

However, as i explained to matt and janna at the time I guess i just felt like i should give myself a chance on meds before committing myself to a full on hair transplant. They were so unbelievably understanding about my views. Not once did they make me try to come back round to the idea and persuade me to part with my hard earned fun tokens. Quite the opposite if anything (hmmm....could they be secret shareholders in Rogaine or Propecia??) and i thank them for their empathy.

But this isn't a story about how i grew more hair than Bigfoot or an embarrassing story about the side effects of meds taking the lead out of my pencil. I mean, afterall, i still had that flight booked to minneapolis so i decided to go ahead and take my 11 day break regardless - which happened to be on the way to spending a year in Australia for a career break.

There i was in a city (or two?) not knowing anyone or what to do. So i did what any other brit abroad does - find a nice cosy pub, have a pint of beer and engage in some banter with a local about the difference between Scottish and Irish accents. Great, first wander down Nicollet Mall and i come across the Brit Bar - custom made for a man like myself. Hurrah! Old Speckled Hen (its a fruity/malt ale for those who aren't familiar with the British wildlife) on tap and a roaring fire. Double points indeed. However, after discovering more about the charming city itself i found myself back in the same bar on my second night where i happen to meet in with a gorgeous blonde and her friend.

To cut a long story short... I just spoke to her on the phone 30 minutes ago.

If that was too short then try this version instead...

After exchanging phone numbers i met her the next day, we laughed, we talked, we flirted, i stayed over, spent all day together, met her friends, stayed over again, went out to a few concerts, met her family for a sunday meal, a couple of uncles at the Timberwolves game, her giggly 2 year old niece and even a laptop-tapping grandpa too. Despite only spending a very concentrated week in each others company we decided to keep things going and with the miracle of windows messenger, texts, skype webcam and 4 or 5 daily phone calls we are still going strong. We're now just short of 4 months together and already building plans together for meeting in summer in Scotland to meet my family and friends this time around. Once mum & dad approve of her midwest charms we're looking to try and get me a visa sorted out for the States to begin another chapter.

So why tell you all about this, you might be asking?

Well, its funny when i look at how i got to this point in my life. This all started off because of the concern i had in my appearance and my hair loss. It was the typical case of getting wound up by friends and family in a 'jokey' nature but we all know that it cuts deeper than they realise. I naturally felt low because of this difference to the point that i wasn't secure in my previous relationship despite her support when i was in the doldrums. The truth is my new girlfriend thinks i was just in MPLS on a random visit to the midwest and not there due to a cancelled HT procedure at SMG. I now don't feel the same burning desire to correct my appearance as i did before. It seems to be a secondary concern for the time being. Afterall, i somehow managed to make the most amazing girl in the world fall for this face, this personality AND its wee hairless head too. I guess looks really aren't always as important as everyone says. Just remember fellas that we've all got so much more to offer beneath the surface... or the shine of a smooth scalp.

Happy researching regardless!

p.s if anyone knows of anyone hiring friendly professional Scotsmen in MPLS then let me know and i'll send them my resume! ; )

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
Hey Vin Petrol, that is a great story, really good post, i really enjoyed reading that. Good luck with the new relationship.

Shang

Last edited:
janna

janna

Valuable Member
It's great you're more confident and in love. Quite an amazing story and I'm glad you decided to share it. Whatever your future holds, all the best to you.

Hope you get your VISA and a job in Mpls. soon.

V

Vin Petrol

Valued member
Thanks Shang. I'm glad you enjoyed the read. Was it the happy ending that got to you? Come on, everyone loves it when the guy gets the girl. :T:

V

Vin Petrol

Valued member
Thank you Janna. As i mentioned to you before but i'm more than happy to furnish yourself and Matts stomachs with a glass or wine or two once I eventually get my butt over there. I've already had an enquiry from the CityPages regarding a position but I can't get over for an interview in time. Never mind, onwards and upwards! :)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Great story Vin.

I too have been in the Brits pub eating sausage rolls,scotch eggs and drinking brown ale.:)

Just think,if you`d had your HT you would most probably of been hiding away and never met this woman so its all worked out well for you.

Hopefully you will find employment over soon.

Cheers bm.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Wow cool story man, congrats mate im thrilled for you. The ladies over there imo are in a differant league to the ones over here they all seem happy polite and friendly, which is worlds apart from the usual boozy, over confident, loud trouble causing women you find in most pubs over here(sorry to the nice ones lol). I too went to the brit pub, nice place and the food was better than ours too. ¬b`

Last edited:
Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Great story. Excellent to hear how all this has brought you the girl without even needing the HT. Perfect. Those midwest girls get be intoxicating so be careful gents.

NN

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
VP...

Thats one of the best write ups I have read on an HT forum.

So very pleased for you...

Tim

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Hey Vin,
That's got to be one of the best non-HT results ever. Good for you.
I feel all warm and happy inside... (still doing my HT though... I'm shallow that way)

:T:

V

Vin Petrol

Valued member
Hey, thanks guys for all your comments on my mini blog adventure in the Midwest. Those girls (or just the people in general) are certainly some of the nicest people I have ever met. They have a real genuine warmth and charm about them - I believe there is a common reference to it as "Minnesota nice".

It certainly was a very unexpected result for myself under the circumstances. I know that the confidence factor has such a huge part to play in our own insecurities regarding hairloss and I still do still have that ounce of doubt. In truth I will wait and see what happens while I'm on meds but I wouldn't hesitate to get back in touch with Janna or Matt at SMG should I feel the need to step up the skull insulation process again. So far I'm on Rogaine foam (smells nice) but looking to find a good supplier for Proscar/propecia. Actually, while I'm on here does anyone have any recommendations to help select a winner between the two?

Thanks. VP.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Vin

The best avenue tp try is your own GP first to see if you can get it there,otherwise Proscar is the cheapest option which most guys go for.

This is a late reply,did you get your supply already.

Hope you are well.

bm.