• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

How's everyone coping with Barbers/Hairdressers being closed?

V

Viking

My brother who now lives in Ireland messaged me today to tell me how relieved he was to finally get his hair cut. The text made me smile because he is loosing his hair like me and relies on his Barber to cut it in a way that helps hide his level of baldness. Myself I was tempted to buzz mine right down to the wood the other day with the barbers still being closed it's starting to do my nut in .
Questions for the guys who have had a transplant.
What issues have you had since the barbers are closed and does a transplant look as natural shaven down as it does with some length?
Do you all cut your own hair or have you all let it grow during the lockdown?

K

k-dog

Hi Viking
Well i bought myself a pair of Braun hair clippers and watched a few youtube videos on how to cut your hair on your own.
Took a while but got there in the end. Left mine at a No 5 on the sides and just cut and inch of the top too. I think i have done a good job but because my hair is thining i dont bother styling it anymore with clay, wax etc I have had an FUT procedure in years ago so was paranoid about letting anyone else cutting it and asking about the scar. Im thinning from the front to to the back. What did you do in the end?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
My hair is out of control, i can`t get an appointment either as all the barbers are booked up.

V

Viking

Hi Viking
Well i bought myself a pair of Braun hair clippers and watched a few youtube videos on how to cut your hair on your own.
Took a while but got there in the end. Left mine at a No 5 on the sides and just cut and inch of the top too. I think i have done a good job but because my hair is thining i dont bother styling it anymore with clay, wax etc I have had an FUT procedure in years ago so was paranoid about letting anyone else cutting it and asking about the scar. Im thinning from the front to to the back. What did you do in the end?
Not done anything yet my hair is probably the messiest and longest it's ever been. Wheres the best place to buy a decent pair of clippers these days? The set I have works but I've misplaced all the attachments so wouldn't be able to try a normal hair cut without them.

V

Viking

My hair is out of control, i can`t get an appointment either as all the barbers are booked up.
Same boat here I'm afraid. Would you not recommend having a go at cutting it yourself then Bigmac?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
No chance will I be cutting my own hair. I did shave my sideburns up too high and ended up with a basin/bowl style look, not good at all.

C

Coopman

Valued member
Guys

I can second the recommendations for cutting your own hair By k dog.
I started doing this about 5yrs ago After also watching YouTube videos and it is second nature for me know.

I cut the sides at no.1 and blend it into the top. Believe it or not i can do it now without a mirror.
It is important to get a decent pair of clippers though.

Seriously it is not as difficult as it sounds and really helps keep those sides shorter permanently.
Quality wise nobody has ever commented about the quality of the haircut, my girlfriend is somewhat amazed. Even my friends cant believe i cut and blend my own hair.

C

Coopman

Valued member
The difficult part is cutting around the ears, but a more expensive pair of clippers is the solution for this. The cheaper the clippers the more likely they cant adapt to the natural contours of your head.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`m booked in for Friday for my haircut.