• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

I'm struggling to decide on a clinic

alex5

alex5

Hey

I need some advice on how to pick a clinic. I have narrowed it down to 2 different clinics, both in the UK but I'm struggling to decide between them.

Both of these clinics come with good reputation on this site but the difference in price is fairly substantial, around £3k extra for similar grafts.

I have had video consultations at both. I felt the experience with the more expensive clinic has been better so far and I get a sense that I would be really well looked after.

However despite understanding that money shouldn't be the biggest factor in choosing, that extra £3k transforms the total cost into something I am less comfortable with.

From the cheaper clinics reviews/results on here, I know I would have a good transplant as they are well regarded and I shouldn't worry.

Paying more does not guarantee a better job, but does it put you more at ease?

It's a tough decision and I am anxious to make the right one.

Lastly, it is essential to meet each clinic with a face to face appointment first or will just the video consultation do? Both of these clinics are many miles from me which makes it difficult.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Only you can decide really. You need to weigh up who you think will do the best transplant for you. They may be equally skilled or one may be better than the other. Compare their results, read patient feedback and sometimes it just comes down to who you feel more comfortable with.
Usually, most clinics will want a face to face consultation prior to surgery but in these times over skype etc are more common and then meet and consult the doctor the day of or the day before surgery.

alex5

alex5

Thanks Bigmac.

I think I am drawn to the more expensive one as it feels they have more professional processes in place.

For example a big form you need to fill out prior to the video call. An online booking system for the consultation and then the actual consultation was thorough and educational.

However, from the results for both clinics, I know they will both offer a very good quality transplant but one is much cheaper haha.

That's good to hear a face to face isn't strictly necessary. I have actually asked to see if I can book one in despite it being a few hours away on the train. Hopefully that can make my mind up.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If you can do a face to face beforehand it`s always better but many people travel all over the world for transplants and all they`ve done is send some pictures.

alex5

alex5

It's a great point!

I guess there has to be some sort of leap of faith otherwise decisions will never be made.

I am going to ask for a face to face as I think this will put my mind at ease. Thanks for the help

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Price was a big factor for me when choosing my HT and I actually spent nearly twice what had planned to spend on a HT. Do I regret it, not one single bit I don’t even think of what it cost me as I feel so much better in myself and actually like looking at my head in the mirror, I even let my barber show me the back of my head now which I never did before. To me I can’t put a price on the way it’s made me feel. I’m only 3 months post HT on Saturday and my progress is looking great so far. I could have travelled to Belgium like I was planning but lockdown put the kibosh on that, yes I could have saved myself 4-5 grand, yes I may have got the same result else where. Do I care not one bit because the way I feel about my self now is worth every penny!!

Raphael84

Raphael84

Valued member
Almost all patients are price conscious to one degree or another, which is understandable.
My question would be, if pricing was the same, who would you feel most comfortable with proceeding with?
3k comes and goes. Obviously the current situation adds extra stress in terms of the economical situation for many of us, but 3k can be earned and saved in the future. Those much valued grafts and your result can not.
Do as much research as possible, consult with the doctor in person. This should be feasible as you are all in the UK. This will definitely help with which doctor may feel right for you and will help with your decision making process.
I wish you the best of luck.

alex5

alex5

Almost all patients are price conscious to one degree or another, which is understandable.
My question would be, if pricing was the same, who would you feel most comfortable with proceeding with?
3k comes and goes. Obviously the current situation adds extra stress in terms of the economical situation for many of us, but 3k can be earned and saved in the future. Those much valued grafts and your result can not.
Do as much research as possible, consult with the doctor in person. This should be feasible as you are all in the UK. This will definitely help with which doctor may feel right for you and will help with your decision making process.
I wish you the best of luck.

I completely hear what you are saying. The issue is that I can just justify the cheaper HT in terms of cost. Once you add the extra £3k from the other clinic it gets quite eye watering and I'm not sure it's worth it considering its the same procedure

Raphael84

Raphael84

Valued member
That’s the thing though Alex, it may not be the “same procedure”. That is the exact point. I couldn’t have said it better.
Technical and artistic quality can make it a completely different procedure.
I don’t know the clinics you may be considering, they may be on similar levels, but they may not and this is the mistake that many guys make.
This is where transparent clinics with an ethical and patient orientated reputation is so important and can really take those insecurities out of the equation.

alex5

alex5

Thanks for all the help. I can happily confirm I have now placed a deposit and booked my HT....nervous :)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll look forward to reading all about it if you decide to share your HT experience on here.

G

GarethP

Make sure you speak to an actual doctor, or technician, rather than a 'consultant' (the salesperson who greets all new patients). A good clinic will let you speak to one of their surgical team.