• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Is Finasteride a must after a HT?

J

John2704

Hi I'm hoping for some insight. I have had several consultations and I am planning on receiving a hair transplant. I have a receding hairline but nothing severe and my hair loss is slow, not very noticeable over the last 10 years. I understand it is advised to commence a hair loss management protocol afterwards, involving Finasteride. I am concerned as I have experienced Erectile Dysfunction previously, thankfully over it now after losing weight. I am prepared for the fact that I will probably need further procedures in the future. So my question is. Would there be any point in exposing myself to serious side effects if the effectiveness of Finasteride diminishes over time and I am well prepared to have further procedures in the future?
Thanks

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hair loss is usually progressive. The speed at which you lose your hair can change, maybe in a few years, it will accelerate to a high Norwood level. Finasteride not only helps the hair on top of your head, but it also helps the donor zone hair too. Your donor zone may thin out meaning you may not have enough for future surgeries.
There are many people who go ahead with surgery without using Finasteride. As long as you know the risks and a competent clinic plan for possible future loss, then it`s your choice if you go ahead or not. You want a transplant that will stand alone if you lose the native hair around it. You may not have the option to keep having more transplants. Your donor is not an endless supply and may not be permanent.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Read this thread which will help explain how hair loss can progress.

J

John2704

Thanks Bigmac. It's a useful thread indeed. Do you think topical Finasteride would be safer to trial first of all maybe on a bi-weekly regime?
I am thinking of using Essengen-6 Plus from MinoxidilMax.com. It's a solution with 6% Minoxidil and 0.05% Finasteride.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
From what I`ve heard the topical has less chance of sides but not as efficient as taking it orally. With the solution you mention it may well be that you have a great response but at some stage decide to switch to oral and give up Minoxidil which could cause a lot of hair loss.
Usually, it`s a lifetime of using it to keep what you have and possibly regrow miniaturised hairs.
Lots of people do start on a lower dose and gradually build up. If you`ve decided on a clinic, ask what their opinion is before booking anything.