• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Is it okay to pull out the hair that's stopped growing in order to make it start growing back?

H

HaplessPatient

A graft in my front that contains two hairs seems to only grow one hair, and the other hair can be seen but just stops growing since my hair transplant surgery took place(and it's been almost nine months).
I contacted my doctor and he told me that pulling out the hair that's stopped growing using a pair of tweezers may stimulate the hair growth, and he also said that pulling out the hair once should not damage the graft.

I'm very concerned about his suggestion. Is what he said safe to do? Have your doctors told you about this trick?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Grafts in your frontal hairline should only contain single hair grafts. Have you a picture of it?

H

HaplessPatient

Grafts in your frontal hairline should only contain single hair grafts. Have you a picture of it?

I tried to take a picture of it but it was too blurry. I was kinda disappointed as well when I learned most doctors would use single-hair grafts for the frontal hairline. My doctor even told me the reason he placed multiple double-hairs grafts in my frontal hairline was because it would look more dense.

So yeah, my frontal hairline contains more than just one double-hairs graft.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, your doctor does not know the basics of hairline design. Try to take a picture, set your phone on a timer.

H

HaplessPatient

Unfortunately, your doctor does not know the basics of hairline design. Try to take a picture, set your phone on a timer.

That does not work, either. My phone does not have a high quality camera and the hair that doesn't grow is very short and that's why I have tried my best to describe my condition. I just want to know if the pulling hair out trick is verified or even known by others.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It may be a stalled hair, just a shaft that won`t grow. Why would you want it to grow knowing that it will create a double graft in your hairline? Ask your clinic for your surgery pictures.

H

HaplessPatient

It may be a stalled hair, just a shaft that won`t grow. Why would you want it to grow knowing that it will create a double graft in your hairline? Ask your clinic for your surgery pictures.

I know double-hair grafts existing in the frontal hairline is already a disaster but a double-hair graft that contains a noticeable short non-growing hair annoys me more. Have you heard of the hair pulling treatment mentioned above?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Just tweezer it out and see if it grows back. You seem very concerned about a single hair not growing when your concern should be your doctor has given you an unnatural hairline by planting multi graft units.

H

HaplessPatient

Just tweezer it out and see if it grows back. You seem very concerned about a single hair not growing when your concern should be your doctor has given you an unnatural hairline by planting multi graft units.

I mean, what can I do about those double hair grafts? They have already been planted in my front and yes I was very depressed about it for a long time. Some things can't be changed I guess.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If they are causing you issues, they have to be extracted out by a doctor skilled in FUE.
What clinic did you go to?
Have you asked the clinic for your surgery pictures?

T

Todd

This post is confusing. You say "A graft" in your opening sentence meaning a single graft containing 2 hairs. Now you say you have more 2 hair grafts. Which one is it, one or multiple 2 hair grafts?

H

HaplessPatient

If they are causing you issues, they have to be extracted out by a doctor skilled in FUE.
What clinic did you go to?
Have you asked the clinic for your surgery pictures?

Only about 35% of my transplanted hairs grow since the surgery and it's been almost nine months. Asking them to extract the double hairs grafts out of my front doesn't matter much at this point.

This post is confusing. You say "A graft" in your opening sentence meaning a single graft containing 2 hairs. Now you say you have more 2 hair grafts. Which one is it, one or multiple 2 hair grafts?

I don't think it's even close to confusing. I said a graft containing two hairs only grow one hair and I have other grafts containing two hairs in my front.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Sorry to hear of the result you are describing so far and if you feel comfortable to do so then please submit photos and of course you can hide your identity. Probably be a good idea to meet with your doctor for a review at 12 months and go from there. Hope this forum will be a help and a support for you.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Some pictures, even low quality would help so we can see what it looks like.

T

Todd

Without pictures it is difficult to decifer and give a true opinion. If only 30 % has grown, plus multiple grafts in the hair line, then I think it is safe to say your HT was a failure.
What does your doctor say about the lack of growth?

Dr Arvind

Dr Arvind

Valued member
That does not work, either. My phone does not have a high quality camera and the hair that doesn't grow is very short and that's why I have tried my best to describe my condition. I just want to know if the pulling hair out trick is verified or even known by others.
1. Multiple hair grafts are a no-no for hairline.
2. If you see a stalled hair, its most likely a fragment of the hair that were to shed but for various reasons, did not shed. This hair fragment can lead to folliculitis/inflammation leading to damage to the transplanted hair root. Therefore, its ideal to do some hot fomentation and ask someone ELSE to use a tweezer to gently pull out the hair fragment.

If the hair had to shed, you will notice that the hair fragment comes out very easily and does not have a hair bulb at the base.

Let me know if you have additional queries.
Regards,
Dr. A

H

HaplessPatient

1. Multiple hair grafts are a no-no for hairline.
2. If you see a stalled hair, its most likely a fragment of the hair that were to shed but for various reasons, did not shed. This hair fragment can lead to folliculitis/inflammation leading to damage to the transplanted hair root. Therefore, its ideal to do some hot fomentation and ask someone ELSE to use a tweezer to gently pull out the hair fragment.

If the hair had to shed, you will notice that the hair fragment comes out very easily and does not have a hair bulb at the base.

Let me know if you have additional queries.
Regards,
Dr. A

First I want to thank you for the help.

My questions would be, is my doctor to blame for the stalled hair? And, is it extremely unprofessional to place multiple-hair grafts in the front?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
No, you cannot blame a doctor for a stalled hair and for us and as said above by Dr.A, we also do not employ multiple haired grafts in the frontal line of a hair line but finer singles and then multiple groups more behind to add to fullness.

We will have a video dedicated to hair line design posted actually next week that will help on certain aspects of it.

Without seeing your case it is harder to comment so if possible try to upload some visuals and people will be happy to assess and essentially the clinic you went with probably have a review at 12 month mark and take photos etc also.

All the best to you.

H

HaplessPatient

The stalled hair has been removed but I realize if there are more stalled hairs in the back of the hairline or in the areas where I can't see them, I don't think I will be able to remove all of them by myself. My question is, will the stalled hairs shed eventually by themselves?

Dr Arvind

Dr Arvind

Valued member
The stalled hair has been removed but I realize if there are more stalled hairs in the back of the hairline or in the areas where I can't see them, I don't think I will be able to remove all of them by myself. My question is, will the stalled hairs shed eventually by themselves?
Regular headwash and if possible a head massage usually gets rid of all the stalled hair. If you notice a pimple (possibly folliculitis), hot fomentation and suitable antiseptic cream as prescribed by a doctor should work.
Regards,
Dr. A

Reactions: sl