• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Minoxidil Foam Use

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
That’s such a good idea I hope it’s one that’s possible, but due to variations in hair colours it could make it more difficult dude. Nanogen or the likes of would be the better companies to experiment with this and I hope they do so as it could be so beneficial to many people.

Dr. Özlem Biçer

Dr. Özlem Biçer

Valued member
Rogaine Foam is a great option in the fight against hair loss. The styling options do increase because it dries similar to a mouse.

T

thincity

Valued member
Hi All, Thought at the roughly six month mark I'd update. I'm still using Foam every morning, the only thing I've changed up, is running my head under fairly hot water before I exit the shower. I apply the foam as quickly as possible after to try to maximize absorption. Haven't really noted any regrowth, but existing hairs (including the hairline) look thicker and some hairs I know that were gray/silver have turned jet black (just a few). I'm planning on continuing this regimen and also plan on posting pictures at the end of October. As I had posted previously, the foam adds some appearance of thickness when it dries and then using the Redken Maneuver Cream Pomade gives my hair the appearance of fullness.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Thincity. Good to hear the foam is making your hair thicker. A bit unfortunate no regrowth but preventing further loss is good.
I`ve heard people report their hair changing from silver to black, something obviously going on there. I`ll look forward to seeing your update pictures.
All the best.
Bm.

T

thincity

Valued member
Hello to all my UK friends, I hope you are all safe and staying healthy. I live just outside the third worse location in the U.S. for COVID-19, my wife and I have strictly adhered to our lockdown and hoping this pandemic will soon be over. While hair loss seems very minor during these times, I am still continuing my regimen. I do think that running hot water on the scalp before exiting the shower helps with absorption as the foam melts quickly when applied. I still can't say whether I'm gaining any hair, but the dark hairs (at the hairline) keeping appearing. My hair is longer now than it was in high school, and I'll get a better picture whenever they re-open salons. I'm still planning on taking and posting pictures in October of this year (good or bad). I still am using Proscar 5mg daily and Nizoral 1% once a week. I'm fairly certain regardless of any improvement I may get, I will still need a final hair transplant to bring everything together. Please stay safe

T

Todd

Watching CNN, lots of people are nuts for not following the Covid 19 safety measures. No helping some.
Do you think the absorbtion is due to the scalp being softer after the hot water, the heat factor or both combined?

T

thincity

Valued member
Hi Todd, I think that the hot water opens the pores on the scalp and makes for better absorption . After I apply the foam to the warm/hot scalp, the foam melts quickly and dries faster. I used the foam for years, mostly applying it before bed to a dry scalp. I looked into the micro-needling of the scalp then applying the foam, but felt the risk for infection was to great. I followed a few posters results of doing this and some seemed to make some gains.
Yes we have some segments of the population who have selfishly ignored the stay and home orders and had large social gatherings. They are why our area is one of the hot spots for rate of infection/and death. Stay safe!

T

Todd

You raise a valid point concerning possible infection from micro needling. All those tiny holes or cuts are providing a direct access for germs to gain entry into the skin, coupled with minoxidil that has a tendency to irritate the softer scalp skin, it could lead to unessessary complications. Using hot water to open up the pores naturally seems the safer and best approach.

You stay safe too.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`m looking forward to seeing the hair colour change while using the foam, more research into this could be beneficial for a cure for grey hair. Interesting application method too which makes a lot of sense.
All the best.
Bm.

T

thincity

Valued member
Good morning everyone, hope you are enjoying your summer. I wanted to add an additional benefit of using the foam, that I found out quite by accident. In late May, I got my first real "post COVID" haircut at the salon I go to. At my request, she cut it as short as possible, my right scar was visible but I did request the short cut. I went out on a fishing trip the next day, it was full sun and I forgot my ball cap. I had used my foam in the morning, like always. I could feel the heat on my scalp and was thinking that I'd have a bad sunburn. I checked my scalp closely the next day, and had zero redness, so perhaps the foam may act as a sunblock of sorts. I have tried it several times since in the pool, with no ball cap and still no burn! I'm still strictly following my routine, although still hard to determine if I'm making any gains. As promised, in October, I'll post pictures.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully, you are making some gains, subtle changes are difficult to notice.
That's interesting regarding the possibility it works as a sun blocker. If your scalp never burned it must work to some extent.
Thanks for the quick update.