• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

My journey - Dr Reddy, FUE 1200-1500 grafts - scheduled for 16th Aug 2022

hair-today

hair-today

All this watering’s paying off, the garden is growing. Gonna make the most of this preview/trailer before it sheds.

Day 3

1F41E46C-1C44-4513-9F73-1C3CD6F500B5.jpeg

Last edited:
S

Salazar

The donor area is looking great aleady.
Wow. I'm impressed by how good your donor area looks. This is has always been my biggest worry when it comes to surgery, but it looks like Dr Reddy has done a fantastic job.

hair-today

hair-today

Wow. I'm impressed by how good your donor area looks. This is has always been my biggest worry when it comes to surgery, but it looks like Dr Reddy has done a fantastic job.
Yes, that was one of my concerns and I couldn’t be happier with this aspect of the procedure already. And it’s only day 5.

Day 5 - donor area
E4EEBDCB-19FF-406A-93C7-43E588A64D42.jpeg

My 4 main concerns overall were

1. What if something just goes wrong (as it can with any type of surgery.
*It all went swimmingly!

2. What if I don’t like my new hairline.
*Still early days of course as to how many grafts actually take, and how it grows, direction of hairs etc. But in terms of design I think my hairline is better than before I had any hair loss.

3. Scarring in the donor area, and inability to sport a skin fade.
*Early days but looks like this will not be an issue.

4. Long term regret, because of issues such as further balding, or anything that makes it seem unnatural.
*Too early to know for sure, but I trust Dr Reddy’s expertise and from our discussions about the future, preserving donor area (including by not producing too low a hairline) etc, etc I really don’t see this as an issue. He also answered all my questions about fixing such issues too. So I feel confident even if there were issues, and I’m not expecting any, they could be resolved somehow. I do suspect I will return for some work on my crown in the future as it is thinning a little. But is fine at the moment.

S

Salazar

I couldn’t be happier with this aspect of the procedure already
It's amazing how quickly it has healed. You honestly wouldn't know that any work had had been done there.

Thanks for the updates. I can't wait to see your final result.

S

Salazar

Again: your donor area is looking brilliant.

Another concern of mine is that the difference in density between natural hairs and grafts might make the latter look sparse when wearing the hair short, but I have to say that your hairline is looking pretty solid.

He’s not at the Private Clinic anymore.
Where does he operate out of now?

hair-today

hair-today

Again: your donor area is looking brilliant.
Yes, You really can't tell. I had what looked like little gaps before anyway. I think this is just grey hairs not showing as strongly as the dark one.

Another concern of mine is that the difference in density between natural hairs and grafts might make the latter look sparse when wearing the hair short, but I have to say that your hairline is looking pretty solid.
Mmmm yes. I guess as further balding happens this may end up like that. But I think that's ok as it'll just look like I've thinned a bit.

hair-today

hair-today

Write up of the day of the procedure.

The first thing I really want to say is that the whole day was far, far easier than I had anticipated. It’s all really tolerable! The anticipation was a lot worse than the event.

The day started at 9.30am and the team working on my hair consisted of two techs and Dr Reddy. One of the techs greeted me and got me into a gown. Everyone was friendly and chatty and put me at ease, including the admin person who I had been corresponding with all through the booking process and consulations etc.

Then Dr Reddy took some pictures, marked up my hairline and took more pictures. He asked if I wanted the sedative medication. I said I wasn’t sure, thinking I’d rather not if not needed. I wasn’t offered it again - just as well I didn’t need it. Lol.

They shaved my head, and then shortly after I went into the room where we would be working. I lay face down while a few things were being made ready.

You end up with your head quite a bit lower than your body, and at first I thought it was quite uncomfortable because the blood runs into your head. But after a short while you get used to it.

Then we got started. The initial injections stung, but they are over in seconds and they hold something that vibrates right next to the area, which distracts the nerves a little. It kicks in really quickly, and so a minute or so later when the next set were administered the area was slightly numb already and although I could feel them they didn’t hurt at all.

I was really worried about how I’d feel being worked on while awake, given what’s happening to my head, but actually it’s 100% fine. You can feel things are being done, but no pain and you very quickly get used to the feeling.

I thought it was going to be a day with very long periods of lying there being worked on, but in fact as things were done in stages and I found each stage felt quite short and very manageable.

First off Dr Reddy punched a set of holes at the back of the head. This turned out to be around 300 punches and really didn’t take very long. Then one of the techs extracted these.

They then turned me over and said have a rest for a few minutes. I didn’t feel I needed a rest, but it was nice to chat to everyone during this break and actually see their faces. I also saw stars at this point. I assume this was all that blood leaving my head.

Then they did another round, pretty much the same, and another short break. Next I was on one side, so same procedure but from the side. Then the other side.

Anaesthetic was topped up along the way, but as you’re now always a little numb it doesn’t hurt.

Before I knew it all extractions were done, and it was time for a bit of lunch. Provided by the clinic.

Once I’d eaten, we were back at it, but this time on the recipient area.

So again, more anaesthetic, and as this was a new area the very first ones stung again. Nothing unbearable though as over so quickly.

This part of the procedure involved making incisions, and then implanting the grafts which they used implanter pens to do. I could actually feel the incisions a little, but because it was numbed it didn’t hurt and actually by this time the sensation didn’t phase me at all. I know the more anaesthetic you use the more swelling you get, so I was keen not to have more than I needed. Having said that though I figured it would be wise to let the team know that I could feel something, in case they then went off into a nearby area that wasn’t numbed when they assumed it was meaning it would hurt. I said it was fine and I was happy, but it usually ended up with dr Reddy toppipng up the anaesthetic.

For this part Dr Reddy made all the incisions, and also did the majority of the implanting, while the other tech did a little of the implanting.

Near the end we looked at the hairline, so I could make any adjustments if wanted, but I was really happy with it. So they finished up with the last of the grafts and we were done. We finished up around 6pm.

Oh, half way through the day I was given meds - antibiotic, and steroids.

I was sent home with a course of antibiotics and steroids, and a spray bottle of saline solution, with an extra top-up bag of solution, some baby shampoo and some pads for your pillow in case of any bleeding.

Instructions are to spray the recipient area every 30 minutes, while awake, for the first 3 days. You can wash the donor area the following day with the baby shampoo. You aren’t allowed to touch the recipient area.

Then for the next 10-14 days you wash it all twice a day, and need to gently remove all the scabs during this time.

For anyone who’s worried, the procedure is very tolerable. I actually found the hardest things as follows (starting with the hardest).

1. The itch on day 3.
2. Not being able to lie properly on the donor area the first night because it stung.
3. The inicial injections.

I would say overall I actually enjoyed the day. The team made it light hearted and were really nice to chat to.

I will be making a couple of videos about it. I have short bits of footage, so I'll put them into a one on it's own with a atrigger warning as likely not for everyone! Again to reiterate though, I think looking at the procedure makes it appear a million times worse than it actualy is.

S

Salazar

Good write up. I'm still thinking about surgery, so I appreciate the level of detail that you've went into so far. Just out of curiosity, when you left the clinic after your surgery, how was your head covered? Were you able to wear a hat or bandana?

hair-today

hair-today

Just out of curiosity, when you left the clinic after your surgery, how was your head covered? Were you able to wear a hat or bandana?
No, I imagine each clinic’s instructions will vary slightly, but I wasn’t allowed to cover the transplanted area for at least 3 days. And then it’s only with a loose fitted baseball cap being careful that it doesn’t touch them. It specifically says no woolly hats or helmets. When I left there was a small area of the donor site that was bleeding a little and they taped a small dressing over it, but that was it.
I was advised to be careful getting in the car. They said it has happened before where the patient has knocked the top of their head on the doorframe and they end up coming back in with some of their grafts in their hand. But of course there’s nothing that can be done if that happens as now they aren’t sterile so have to be thrown out.

With regard to thinking about things I would wholeheartedly recommend going and speaking to a surgeon. But make sure you find a good one. I contacted some clinics and they just want to get you to book no matter what, and offer you time limited deals etc. I couldn’t tell you who the other good surgeons are but I guarantee if you’re able to see Dr Reddy that he’ll answer your questions honestly and accurately. He says 75-80% of the people who walk through his door he won’t take on. He selects patients that he knows will have a great outcome.

I asked several questions and wanted to ensure whatever happened I wouldn’t regret. Like you, I like my short hair/skin fade and that was a worry. But I thought about it, and decided, well if I go much balder I won’t be able to have a skin fade anyway due to lack of hair up top, if I do this then I’d be be at the very least swapping a great look from the front for my skin fade, which of those two are more important? And there’s a chance I could still have my skin fade. So next question, what if the scarring does look bad? My options would be ignore it and let it be seen (if only mild), SMP (but research this to cover future greying), or have a slightly longer style.

The upshot was that Dr Reddy assured me that I wouldn’t need SMP, and he was 100% right. As for future proofing, of course he doesn’t have a cristal ball, but he does have an amazing amount of talent, experience and honestly, and he said he didn’t think I would ever need more than 3000 grafts and that would mean even then I would never need SMP with my hair type etc.

Re the 3000 estimate, unlike some clinkcs that will offer you the moon in that moment with a 5000 mega session and a low hairline, this might look great in the short term but leaves nothing for a rainy day given hair loss is somewhat unpredictable. So for this reason he usually opts for a higher hairline, or lower density.

Of course I don’t know my future yet, but what I can say is that EVERYTHING he predicted so far has been 100% spot on. So he is a man I would trust and recommend to give you honest answers. If you’re not suitable, won’t be able to rock a skin fade, or might need a lot of work doing in the future then he’ll tell you. For £150 consultation it’s worth it to get those questions answered honestly!!!!

Last edited:
S

Salazar

I imagine each clinic’s instructions will vary slightly
Yeah, I was told 10 days after surgery before wearing any headgear. Still, if I did go ahead, I was hoping for some sort of covering (maybe a surgical cap?) to get me from the clinic to my house -- I don't fancy being bareheaded immediately post-op.

But make sure you find a good one.
There seems to be quite a few good surgeons in London. Sadly, I live in Glasgow, where none of the surgeons or clinics are well-known (apart for KSL, and that is for all the wrong reasons.) Guess I need to broaden my horizons.

this might look great in the short term but leaves nothing for a rainy day
I think my goals are quite modest. Surgery is still a big scary word though. I admire the fact that you've been completely open about undergoing a procedure (my friends would mock me relentlessly if they even knew that I was thinking about surgery.) Anyway, please continue to update, and all the best.

hair-today

hair-today

There seems to be quite a few good surgeons in London. Sadly, I live in Glasgow, where none of the surgeons or clinics are well-known (apart for KSL, and that is for all the wrong reasons.) Guess I need to broaden my horizons.
Such a big thing that's going to stay with you for the rest of your life is worth travelling down for though yeah? I would, but that said, I travelled to the US for some other surgery 8 years ago, so I could go to the best!!!

I think my goals are quite modest. Surgery is still a big scary word though.
Ha yes it is scary, but it's tolerable. It's a lot less stressful on your body than a general anaesthetic. I was nervous (who wouldn't be) but in fact the anticipation was way, way worse than the surgery itself. I quite enjoyed the day.

I admire the fact that you've been completely open about undergoing a procedure (my friends would mock me relentlessly if they even knew that I was thinking about surgery.) Anyway, please continue to update, and all the best.
Thanks I'm trying to be as open as I can. I'm a public speaker and educate on the important of inclusion and 'being yourself'. There's a lot of stigma about men doing something about hair loss, but seeing as it's somethign that causes a lot of stress, self confidence issues and depressions etc, it really shouldn't have that stigma. If you feel better with hair, and can do it, then why not do it??? You'll be happier and life will be better. BUT.....I have found as I tell people I know the reaction is very mixed, and it's that reaction that makes people nervous. I've been told not to go ahead, or that 'you don't need it'. As soon as I feel pressure when telling someone that makes me hesitant. It's all too often the people around someone that creates issues, they don't realise that a small comment is actually massive to someone else, and that that person may hold onto that comment for many years, too afraid to come out, or act on something for fear of what 'others' think. Bearing in mind I usually talk about LGBT and other minorites, this can stifle a person, stop them achieving and being as happy as they could be. It also has a knock on effect on all those around them. If I'm happy and confident and bounce out of bed in the mornign to go to work, wouldn't that be far better for my employer and colleagues. And hair loss, and treating it, is no diferent!!! So I want to do my part, to tell even just a few people in the world that it's ok to go fix it!!!

hair-today

hair-today

Day 25

A little update. Today I shaved/faded the back and sides today. I did it myself, which is hard enough with double mirrors sending your hands in the wrong direction all the time, but I also have a frozen shoulder and can't lift one arm very high. So please excude the roughness of it all.

What I wanted to see was how the donor area will look when short. I can only go down to a 0.5, but when the barber does it he goes to a 0. I kind of figure that a zero won't show gaps, so in fact a 0.5 is likely to be hardest length for the donor area.

It started to shed a little while ago, and I expect that to continue over the coming weeks.

Can't wait to see it once it grows back :)

Photo on 10-09-2022 at 19.59.jpg
image0-3.jpeg

image3-1.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image14.jpeg
image21.jpeg

hair-today

hair-today

It looks pretty good to me from the photos. How are you feeling about it?
Thanks. Yes I'm really happy. If I look back at older photos from before, my hair looked liked it had some gaps kind of like you get from a transplant anyway, and then also from some grey hairs that you simply can't see. So I don't think it's reallt changed much. I imagine in some light it will look fine and in others it might be a little noticable, but probably only in areas that are around a grade 0.5. By the time it's to a 1, or 1.5 at most it will defintiely not be noticable.

Either way I think I will be perfectly happy to still have my usual skin fade. Which I'm yet to get done by my barber, as I did the above and so it's a little longer than he does it.

I also think that although it's a worry, so is a thinning front (for me anyway), so my choice would have been to have hair on top with scars that you can see a little, and if really needed a longer back and sides. The lesser of two evils.

As it stands I have both hair on top and can rock a skin fade. :)

S

Salazar

I imagine in some light it will look fine and in others it might be a little noticable

How often does the average person study the back of someone's head? Next to never. Also, unless you've actually read up on FUE, it's unlikely that you'd even know what you were looking for.

hair-today

hair-today

How often does the average person study the back of someone's head? Next to never. Also, unless you've actually read up on FUE, it's unlikely that you'd even know what you were looking for.
Yep exactly