• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Natural Hair Transplant Hairlines

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
A Natural-looking hairline can be influenced by many factors such as age, ethnicity, face/head shape and hair type. A hairline should be synonymous with a person's face. Proportions and aesthetic design will depend on the skill of the person performing the surgery.

See below images

1_120746_480000001.jpg
1_120746_480000000.jpg

drdhananjay11

drdhananjay11

I will assign more weightage to skills of Hair transplant surgeon.

Westminster Clinic

Westminster Clinic

Nice photo's Bigmac!

A soft natural hairline is the most defining feature of a good hair transplant.

Correct hair direction is essential when restoring a hairline, as the hairs point forward anteriorly towards the forehead, and must slowly transition directionally around the temporal corner's, to eventually point more downwards towards the ear's.

When recreating a natural hairline, micro irregularity across the entire transitional zone is essential. Small triangular irregularities intermittently spaced across the hairline closely mimic how these hairs would ordinarily grow in small clusters. Using finer incision tools and selecting finer calibre hairs is highly important when recreating this look. It's certainly an art!

These imperfections certainly lead to a more natural looking hairline!

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Westminster Clinic wrote:
When recreating a natural hairline, micro irregularity across the entire transitional zone is essential. Small triangular irregularities intermittently spaced across the hairline closely mimic how these hairs would ordinarily grow in small clusters. Using finer incision tools and selecting finer calibre hairs is highly important when recreating this look. It's certainly an art!

These imperfections certainly lead to a more natural looking hairline!
I agree. Nothing gives away a HT more than just a wall of hair for a hairline. On a side note too it doesn't matter how good the rest of the HT is if the hairline's not right then it just won't look aesthetically correct......peoples eyes will always be drawn to the hairline first before any other part of the head.
Good pics BM

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
I have always wanted a solid hairline but my wife has always said NO it will spoil all the good work that has been done it wont look natural , a solid hairline looks like a wig and these are my wife opinions mmmmmm i will go with that,

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
With the influx of doctors/cosmetic clinics adding hair transplants to their portfolio, there is an increasing number of unhappy patients with unnatural hairlines. The hairlines have multiple two and three hair grafts, giving a pluggy appearance.
The sad thing is, a lot of these patients think nothing is wrong because they are uneducated and did no research, usually looking at some celebrity who got a freebie to promote a particular clinic.

K

kaberaglobal247

Interesting thread post. Natural hairline or result is the thing which patient look for. It fully is in the hand of the surgeon. More the doctor is experienced more the result be natural.

E

ethanaidenies

What are some natural ways to lower your hairline?
I have this HUGE forehead and i look so ugly with it. It makes my face look long and skinny! I am not wanting people to look at me or be around me. I really need NATURAL ways to do this. NO makeup NO surgery NO bangs or hairstyles. I want it to be natural!! :(

J

JessicaMaan

A hairline is recommended to natural hair gain back. When natural hair backs then face impression is looking gorgeous.

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

The face can be viewed as been dividend into 3 1/3rds. The first is between the botyom of your chin to the tip of your nose. The second is between the tip of your nose to the middle of your eyebrows .
The third is from between your eyebrows to the start of your hairline. Your hairline can be anywhere between 7cm and 11cm from between your eyebrows to the start.
ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE GENERAL GUIDELINES. It obviously depends from patient to patient eg . Forehead size and head size etc.
The above point about microirregular grafts placed on the hairline is an absolute must. This can be achieved by using single soft hair only for about 1/2 cm back, these hairs can be extracted from just behind the ears or down towards the nape of the neck. All extracted from the safe zone area of course.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
I’ve been looking at a few hair transplant photos recently and one thing that is sticking out to me is the hairline. They are to perfect if you know what I mean. Could anyone post a photo of a good hairline and a bad hairline Transplant so I can compare please so I can make sure it’s not me being to picky

I’ve been looking at a few hair transplant photos recently and one thing that is sticking out to me is the hairline. They are to perfect if you know what I mean. Could anyone post a photo of a good hairline and a bad hairline Transplant so I can compare please so I can make sure it’s not me being to picky

Hi @Baldingman23 , there are two issues here, what is aesthetically natural and then what people like or think they like the look of. It's not uncommon to receive hairline designs from candidates with incorrect angles and designs. Often what people think they want will look unnatural.

A natural hairline must follow some parameters for men and women. For example for a man the lowest aspect of the hairline must be the centre or the apex. There must be an upward curve into the recession. Before it then goes back down to the temple. Like an "M". Different genres the shape may vary slightly but as a golden rule using that structure will at least create the correct shape for a male hairline. Recessions can be pointed or closed and rounded, the recession can be more or less acute. Ideally following the natural bone structure of the face, issues such as face length, fat, thin, round oval etc.

Then there is technically the hair transplant hair placement. Single hairs need to be placed along the immediate hairline and going back a few mm´s into the line. The hair angle and placed hair density will differ with the hair characteristics and the area of the hairline. For example coarse hair compared to fine hair will differ. The density and angle will differ between the centre of the line and the recession points and again the laterals if rebuilt. Using single hairs creates a softer natural appearance. The line is jagged so when grown out it doesn't leave a flat round line. The line is natural slightly irregular. This isn't obvious because it looks natural. But a round flat hairline sticks out as looking "too perfect" or symmetrical, either way wrong. Hairlines are not symmetrical, neither is the face, with subtle differences from one side to the other. Even a good head of hair the temple recession can be mm´s different one side to the next. These are all small and subtle ways a hairline is created to look natural. A hairline you wouldn't really look at twice as it´s just natural and doesn´t draw you eye to as looking or feeling not right.

Comparing hairlines, try to look at similar hair characterics to yourself, hair colour curly or straight, fine or coarse etc. This way you can get a good idea how the clinic goes about creating a natural hairline. They are personal to the individual or should be, not templated. Hope that helped, good researching.

T

Todd

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Great topic, easy to talk about and harder to achieve but the hair line is key in the design and implementation. Even using single haired units can cause issues is they are not from the finer areas of the donor, and a reason why a real educated extraction pattern (assuming FUE),is needed to obtain these units. I see many clinics doing FUE who take all from the thicker richer area and probably split the multiple units to make singles but they are placing single units in a hair line that are way too coarse. Like anything in life, there are levels.

Here is a post from some years back that goes along very well with some points raised here and excellent contributions also have been made from the above users.

If you have time then here also are some good examples of the challenged and considerations:-

H

Hishmo

This what I don't want to end up with, a hairline that does not look real.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
A soft hairline is what I’m after with my HT in mid July this year. It’s got to look natural because I intend to wear my hair pushed back a lot once it’s grown

V

Viking

Pushed back? Like in a ponytail or just styled/combed backwards?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
The amount of badly designed and fake looking hairlines from clinics that have little skill has quadrupled recently.

Reactions: sl