• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Need help and ideas!

T

Trioz

I have been suffering for 3 months with hair loss and due to covid-19 its been so difficult seeking support.

My GP doctor told me that I have telogen effluvium however alongside general thinning I have a number of bald patches, pitted nails and other symptoms which all point towards alopecia areata.

I'm not getting any treatment other than iron supplements and the problem is worsening. I'm sure there must be something out there that could help the issue. Can anyone suggest where I could try next get some help to tackle the issue? I really feel as thought my doctor has misdiagnosed the issue.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of GP`s don`t know enough about hair loss and the effects it can have on your wellbeing. Have you got some pictures you can post showing your situation? Block or crop your face out if you don`t want to be recognised.
Some treatments include Minoxidil, Corticosteroid creams, steroid injections and some will use natural oils such as Tea Tree. You need to have it diagnosed to see what is causing it. You may need to see a dermatologist or a trichologist.

T

Trioz

These are the most recent images I have from yesterday. My ponytail is about 60-70% thinner than it was as I had very thick hair. This started with me noticing my hair thinning which my hair dresser said was seasonal, one bald patch (I was given dermovate for which now has regrowth), quite rapid thinning over a couple of months and I've now discovered 4 new patches yesterday which are as attached in pictures

Thank you for your response! Just feeling very lost on what to do and as you say the wellbeing impact is horrible but if i could get some positive progress or a treatment to try id be so much more positive about the entire issue

Attachments

• 20200617_173739.jpg
    20200617_173739.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20200617_173705.jpg
    20200617_173705.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200617_173614.jpg
    20200617_173614.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200617_173543.jpg
    20200617_173543.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 162
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It does not look like a telogen effluvium pattern and does resemble alopecia areata. You say it`s been 3 months. Have you noticed the hair growing back in any of the other bald areas? If so, I would say it is alopecia areata which can strike at any time.
Try not to let it get you down as once you have the correct diagnosis a treatment plan can be worked out that will manage it.

T

Trioz

The first patch I found end of march has grown about 1-1.5cm since I used the weeks course of dermovate so I've just started using the leftover from the tube on the new patches.

Thank you for your response i will definitely persist for a dermatology referral!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If growing back it does sound like alopecia areata. A derm or a trichologist should be able to diagnose this and advise what treatments to try.
You can search online or ask places like Alopecia UK for advice.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Have you seen any further improvement?

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Have you tried MSM supplements, I appreciate they are not the holy grail for hair loss but they may help a little so worth a shot imo, especially if you have issues with your nails too.

R

rajshetty1

Along with hair care products, one must follow a healthy diet and exercise routine. However, there are some really simple practices that can improve your hair growth exponentially. Below are the 11 tips that can improve the health of your hair immensely.

- Do a Scalp Massage to Stimulate Growth

- Drink Lots of water

- Try an Egg Yolk Mask to Prevent Breakage

- Rinse With Cool Water to Strengthen Hair

- Avoid Smoking for Healthy Blood Flow

- Take Hair Growth Supplements

- Limit Heat Styling to Keep Your Hair Healthy

- Avoid Over-Shampooing to Let Your Hair Repair

- Trim Your Split Ends Regularly

- Brush Gently When Detangling

- Eliminate Stress to Avoid Hair Loss

Attachments

• 11-tips-for-fast-hair-growth.jpg
    11-tips-for-fast-hair-growth.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 163
bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Any updates? I know you mentioned your not getting anywhere with your GP due to Covid.....I do know PallMall Medical do a private blood test that can rule out certain medical things that can cause hairloss.....as far as I know they do this as a home blood test too so Covid wouldnt be an issue. Never had one mind so not sure how good it is but I have had an MRI scan there and they seem very professional.

Y

yogeshmander

I am also not sure that it is alopecia areata but people taking medicines from long time for asthma, thyroid, vitiligo etc. faced these conditions. Your dermatologist can tell you exactly what the real cause of your hair loss.