• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

New HT and expectations.

J

jam81

Hi everyone. First things first I stumbled across this forum while researching HT and I have found it very knowledgeable and informative. I have been considering a HT for last few years and feel I am now ready to take that step. I have now had a few online consultations with uk based clinics and I’m at a crossroads as whether to proceed. The conversations I have had with two of the clinics seem to think that due to my crown lowering it’s best to use my donor area to restore the front to mid scalp area which would leave me with an area of baldness at crown, the other clinic said they would restore my crown to a more natural age appropriate crown area. I am under no illusions and was not expecting a full restore of crown but was hoping for a bit more density in that area. To be fair to the clinics due to restrictions they are saying this is all based on video call etc and its hard to judge on that basis I and can better assess in person once allowed. I am now thinking do i shell out a lot of money and not be happy with the result due to lack of hair or crown area or will I be satisfied once I get my front to middle hair area back etc. Has anyone been in a similar position and regretted it or went ahead and not looked back? Thoughts and advice appreciated.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Hi Jam81 can you upload some pictures of your hair loss so people here can see what they think would need to be done to get you a result that you would be happy with

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I think the ones who regret having a transplant are the ones who did little research which ended up with them not happy with the result. If you end up with a fake pluggy hairline you won`t be happy. Posting pictures will be helpful. This forum is simply ace when it comes down to helping people.

J

jam81

Guys thanks for the replies. Any advice and thoughts welcome. Please find pictures below.

Attachments

• 365EFB0F-4738-4A3E-8114-F8DC43AF74B3.jpeg
    365EFB0F-4738-4A3E-8114-F8DC43AF74B3.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 20CB0FE1-25A6-449C-B046-BAF39D7A7E86.jpeg
    20CB0FE1-25A6-449C-B046-BAF39D7A7E86.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 162
  • FBA4AAF6-EFC1-4451-928A-AAC1F80B1B97.jpeg
    FBA4AAF6-EFC1-4451-928A-AAC1F80B1B97.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 3AFCC1B5-61AE-4D36-8A24-34E220DCF0D6.jpeg
    3AFCC1B5-61AE-4D36-8A24-34E220DCF0D6.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 182
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jam81.
How old are you?
Are you on any loss prevention medications?
Unfortunately, you have very aggressive hair loss which is affecting your donor area which has thinned. Your receding from the neck up and downwards from the crown. You could be heading towards the high end of the Norwood scale.
I don’t think you are a suitable candidate for a hair transplant but I could be wrong.
I`d be interested in knowing what clinics you consulted with and how many grafts they said they can do.

J

jam81

Bigmac, I am 39. Thanks for the honestly, it’s gutting to hear tbh. All clinics seem to think they can do something for me but I am wondering would if would be in my best interests just to leave it. For years it’s always something I have aimed to to do and to find it out it may not be possible is particularly hard to hear. I spoke with two well known Glasgow Clinics and one in Leeds , I can name them here or PM you if that’s better? One clinic has said between 2500-3000 FUE grafts and another between 3000-4000 grafts and other clinic has not estimated the number as it does not use the FUE method. Anything else I can add then let me know. Thanks

J

jam81

Also meant to say started using Regaine on the advice of one of the clinics I spoke to.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi jam81.
You’re at risk of losing more donor hair. Finasteride is the most proven FDA option out there to stop or slow down the loss. You have Dutasteride too but most find Fin is sufficient. 2500 - 3000 or the higher estimate of 4000 grafts could deplete your donor in my opinion and without meds, these grafts could die off. With the meds, there is the possibility of side effects that everyone should know about before deciding to use.

Feel free to pm me the names.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Have you clearer pictures of the sides of your head?

J

jam81

Hope this gives you a better idea.

Attachments

• DB27B0AF-2C2E-4DD0-9799-8A63331EECDE.jpeg
    DB27B0AF-2C2E-4DD0-9799-8A63331EECDE.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 139
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It looks as though your sides have thinned from the ear upwards which could indicate retrograde alopecia. The back of your head has already receded upwards from your nape and your crown has dipped low down. All this reduces the area where grafts can be safely harvested.
The side picture you just posted. The donor looks stronger towards the top. Having a proper examination by a hair transplant doctor should establish if your donor is safe to use and you have enough.
Without meds, I fear your loss will continue.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Your hair looks better in that last side picture. Do you have a skin fade when you have your hair cut?

J

jam81

I always get a zero with the clippers at back and sides and it’s faded up towards the top.