• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Oral Minoxidil regimen

C

Coopman

Valued member
Just started 3 weeks ago on Oral Minoxidil 2.5mg per day.

I was a great responder to topical minoxidil many years ago. So will see if I can awaken any dormant follicles.

Will post before and after photos at 4 months.

So far no side effects and no intention to increase above 2.5mg per mg. I am hoping to get some improvement and reduce dosage to 2.5mg every 36hours.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve seen some great responders to the oral version. Good to hear no side effects. I’ll look forward to seeing your before and after pictures.
All the best with it.

C

Coopman

Valued member
Thanks guys. Always been apprehensive about oral minoxidil, but the dosage is quite low (mg per day). Will post some existing photos soon.

C

Coopman

Valued member
Pre treatment photos under bright light attached. I usually dye my hair dark brown but have not done so for about 8 weeks. Next photos will be with dyed hair.
1. Hair wet and gelled.
2. Hair dry forward comb.
3. Concealer added to top and vertex.
I have also stopped taking Finasteride approx 9 months ago and will start again soon. Since stopping crown is thinner and have now stopped shedding.

EB6E799E-98E1-4D9D-8FC1-578B0BB13336.jpeg
16041955-CD43-4915-A162-E79BEAB22466.jpeg
50677A8A-523B-44BD-99A4-C9648BB25D15.jpeg

B

Bicyclegirrl

Thanks guys. Always been apprehensive about oral minoxidil, but the dosage is quite low (mg per day). Will post some existing photos soon.
Out of curiosity, did you ever try the topical monoxidil? If so, what did you think of it?

C

Coopman

Valued member
Hi Bicyclegirrl

I found topical Minoxidil annoying due to having to apply once or twice a day.
The liquid made my hair greasy and took over an hour to dry properly. The foam was better as my hair was dry after 20 minutes.
I noticed improvements after 2 months and had significant regrowth after 6 months. Stopped using it as a hassle and was not bothered too much about having less hair. Been on Finasteride for over 20 years and halted my hairloss. My hair now at 45 is the same as it was at 25.
I have stopped using finasteride about 9mths ago as I wanted to see my hair loss pattern as I am convinced without treatment that I will stay at NW4 for the next 20 years. I may restart finasteride.

Depending on results from Minoxidil it is likely I will have a hair transplant in a years time to reinforce crown, vertex and hairline and hopefully need less than 2500 grafts.

B

Bicyclegirrl

Hi Bicyclegirrl

I found topical Minoxidil annoying due to having to apply once or twice a day.
The liquid made my hair greasy and took over an hour to dry properly. The foam was better as my hair was dry after 20 minutes.
I noticed improvements after 2 months and had significant regrowth after 6 months. Stopped using it as a hassle and was not bothered too much about having less hair. Been on Finasteride for over 20 years and halted my hairloss. My hair now at 45 is the same as it was at 25.
I have stopped using finasteride about 9mths ago as I wanted to see my hair loss pattern as I am convinced without treatment that I will stay at NW4 for the next 20 years. I may restart finasteride.

Depending on results from Minoxidil it is likely I will have a hair transplant in a years time to reinforce crown, vertex and hairline and hopefully need less than 2500 grafts.
Thank you for all of the information, Coopman! It was useful. =)

C

Coopman

Valued member
Been on Oral Minoxidil for approx one month now.

Had a massive shed approx 14days after starting treatment and seems to have now stopped.

Will report back in a couple of months as to early for results just yet. However I have noticed some new hairs poking just above my temporal points.

No side effects noticed so far.

L

Luka

Been on Oral Minoxidil for approx one month now.

Had a massive shed approx 14days after starting treatment and seems to have now stopped.

Will report back in a couple of months as to early for results just yet. However I have noticed some new hairs poking just above my temporal points.

No side effects noticed so far.
I am on topical Minoxidil since a month after hair transplant, been so after approx 3 weeks. Shedding of the remaining transplanted grafts (about 10-15% giver or take) occurred after about 2 weeks, I believe they would not have shed without it. It apparently accelerates the telogen phase of the hair. I am seeing a growth of the new grafts exactly at month 3 post-op. Not sure if Minoxidil has had any part in that one way or the other, but I will use it for 5-6 months as prescribed. Liquid works well for me, no side effects and it dries up really quickly...

C

Coopman

Valued member
Luka

Best wishes for your results.
Good to hear the liquid Minoxidil drys quickly for you.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear no side effects. The shed is normally a positive sign the meds are working. Seeing some new hairs popping through already is encouraging.

C

Coopman

Valued member
Hey Guys.

Photos at 6 weeks are no different to baseline but something really positive is happening.

I have today counted at least 50 grafts, big thick ones unfortunately they are grey but a bit of dye can change that. This is hair that a hairdresser can cut, of course they are only 3-4mm long at the moment.

They are growing above my temporal points on each side of my head.

C

Coopman

Valued member
Just over 8 week update.

Have not posted photos as no change since baseline.

However, I must have at least 100 new hairs at and above my temporal points. I can not see any new hairs anywhere else just yet.

As I discussed earlier I have given up Finasteride many months ago. But it looks like I will be back on Fin as I have lost ground on my crown since stopping. 6mths supply to be ordered in the morning.

Taking a break from FIN has made me realise if I do bite the bullet and have a HT next year, I will need FIN to retain my existing hair. FIN also thickens my existing hair and it has miniaturised slightly since giving up.

Side effects from Oral Minoxidil at 2.5mg per day only noted my eyebrows are thicker and need trimming more often.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That’s a good positive you’re seeing new hairs. 8 weeks is still very early.
I hear quite often people losing ground when they stop using Finasteride. Hopefully, you’ll regain and maintain at the same level prior to stopping.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Promising the new growth. I have read other accounts of hair loss when people stop using fin.

A_4_Archan

A_4_Archan

Valued member
Good you are trying out oral minoxidil ...i got good result from that...bt give it sometime and use it religiously ...and you should stop finasteride if you don't get any adverse effects from it...you will loose more ground if you do so...best of luck and keep updating ...

A_4_Archan

A_4_Archan

Valued member
Good you are trying out oral minoxidil ...i got good result from that...bt give it sometime and use it religiously ...and you should stop finasteride if you don't get any adverse effects from it...you will loose more ground if you do so...best of luck and keep updating ...
Sorry..i made a mistake "you should NOT stop finasteride if you don't get any adverse effects "