• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Propecia vs. Generics?

F

forumname05

So, I'm 27 and starting to thin out...I've been noticing it alot more lately. Mostly the thinning is on the front sides and the rear middle of my head, I'd say the 'Norwood 3Vertex' would be the best example of my thinning.
I live a very healthy lifestyle. I work out atleast 3 times a week, keep to a healthy diet and regularly take a good multivitamin.
I recently spoke with my Dr. after researching online and he prescribed me Propecia and adviced that I should try out the Rogaine foam as well. He said that my insurance probably wouldn't cover Propecia and to look to Canada for a cheaper alternative. As he said, Propecia was not covered and will run about $90 a month from my local pharmacy. I searched around online and found inhouse pahrmacy which sells generic Propecia (Finpecia) for about a 1/3 of the price of the brand name Propecia.
My question is, how does the generic Propecia compare to the brand name stuff? Which generic is best? (Finpecia vs. other generics)? Is the generic as effective? Is the generic as 'safe' (yes I know about the possible side-effects)? Is there more of a chance to have the possible horrible side-effects using generic vs. brand name?
Does anyone know of a cheaper place for brand name propecia? (cheapest I found online was about $72 a month)

Also, if I'm correct Propecia will help grow back a bit of what I have lost so far and Rogaine helps keep what you have (correct?). If I start Propecia, should I also start the Rogaine foam?

Thanks!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Get a prescription from your doc,much safer than buying online and cheaper.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
i started out on propecia then got a script for proscar from my gp and now im on generic finasteride from my gp and all three have been the same imo for what its worth;)

A

andyking

forumname05 wrote:
So, I'm 27 and starting to thin out...I've been noticing it alot more lately. Mostly the thinning is on the front sides and the rear middle of my head, I'd say the 'Norwood 3Vertex' would be the best example of my thinning.
I live a very healthy lifestyle. I work out atleast 3 times a week, keep to a healthy diet and regularly take a good multivitamin.
I recently spoke with my Dr. after researching online and he prescribed me Propecia and adviced that I should try out the Rogaine foam as well. He said that my insurance probably wouldn't cover Propecia and to look to Canada for a cheaper alternative. As he said, Propecia was not covered and will run about $90 a month from my local pharmacy. I searched around online and found inhouse pahrmacy which sells generic Propecia (Finpecia) for about a 1/3 of the price of the brand name Propecia.
My question is, how does the generic Propecia compare to the brand name stuff? Which generic is best? (Finpecia vs. other generics)? Is the generic as effective? Is the generic as 'safe' (yes I know about the possible side-effects)? Is there more of a chance to have the possible horrible side-effects using generic vs. brand name?
Does anyone know of a cheaper place for brand name propecia? (cheapest I found online was about $72 a month)

Also, if I'm correct Propecia will help grow back a bit of what I have lost so far and Rogaine helps keep what you have (correct?). If I start Propecia, should I also start the Rogaine foam?

Thanks!

I'm 40 and have a hair loss problem since last 5 yrs. I tried many drugs, shampoos, gels and creams and finally Propecia Finasteride worked for me. Generic Propecia contains the active ingredient Finasteride, a type II 5-alpha reductase drug that restricts the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. It certainly has some side effects. I too had experienced side effect like decreasing sexual desire in the beginning but as my body got used to it slowly, the side effect disappeared.

After year and a half, today I am satisfied with the result. I am buying propecia from emedoutlet. These guys are best in quality and fast in delivery. Propecia 1mg costs $ 16/- for ONE MONTHS OF SUPPLY. Recently, I have recd 15% discount coupon. The discount coupon number is 5234E. You also can take an advantage of free shipping with code 4848B - You can use either Discount code or free shipping code, you can not use both at a time. If any one of you want to buy propecia and want to take advantage of discount or free shipping, you can try these coupon codes. I believe it should work for you also.

F

forumname05

andyking wrote:
forumname05 wrote:
I'm 40 and have a hair loss problem since last 5 yrs. I tried many drugs, shampoos, gels and creams and finally Propecia Finasteride worked for me. Generic Propecia contains the active ingredient Finasteride, a type II 5-alpha reductase drug that restricts the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. It certainly has some side effects. I too had experienced side effect like decreasing sexual desire in the beginning but as my body got used to it slowly, the side effect disappeared.

After year and a half, today I am satisfied with the result. I am buying propecia from burglarking. These guys are best in quality and fast in delivery. Propecia 1mg costs $ 16/- for ONE MONTHS OF SUPPLY. Recently, I have recd 15% discount coupon. The discount coupon number is 5234E. You also can take an advantage of free shipping with code 4848B - You can use either Discount code or free shipping code, you can not use both at a time. If any one of you want to buy propecia and want to take advantage of discount or free shipping, you can try these coupon codes. I believe it should work for you also.

Do you have a link or anything further on where you've purchased at?

marklee

Brand-name drugs are generally given patent protection for 20 years from the date of submission of the patent. This provides protection for the innovator who laid out the initial costs (including research, development, and marketing expenses) to develop the new drug. However, when the patent expires, other drug companies can introduce competitive generic versions, but only after they have been thoroughly tested by the manufacturer and approved by the FDA.
Generic Propecia is a smart way to get the benefits of the brand drug Propecia at a low price range. It is a cost effective way to achieve healthy hair re-growth.

P

PTA35

Hey thanks for the discussion. This is really beneficial for me. Thanks for providing me with the nice information.

J

jamesrustin

If you start with propecia, there is no need to use Rogaine. Propecia will help you in growing your hairs very effectively.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Good luck mate please keep us updated on your progress. Out of curiosity do you use Rogaine too?

salvar

salvar

Valued member
I have no doubt that Finasteride used with Minoxidil works better then Finasteride on its own, there seems to be synergy there that Fin cant match on its own even though there are plenty of guys out there that get good results without adding the Minoxidil.

M

MrDavis

Hi,
I take generic Finasteride produced by Cipla (as it was claimed it is the same as Finpecia) and I'm happy with the results. I don't see the reason why to pay much for brand as it is the same active ingredient that acts in the same way. As about the side effects, I can tell you that I haven't suffered from any. By the way would like to mention that as i've heard from others all side effects that can occur, pass on with some time. So, do not worry. Regarding the price, I buy the medications from an online pharmacy at $36 (month supply).

I

Iommi76

Valued member
Mr. Davis, I also take the Cipla manufactured Finpecia. I've been on it for about a month with no real noticeable side effects (too early to comment on the actual hair growth at this point). I'm curious if this medication can be split in half with relatively the same (or at least decent) results? I've been reading a lot of info stating that Finpecia may not have finasteride evenly distributed throughout the pill (as the brand name Propecia does) and also that there could be very harmful "fill-in" chemicals included. Do you yourself take the full 1 mg dose of Finpecia? And any thoughts on the (possibly) harmful fill-in ingredients? I'm starting to get paranoid over here! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time :)