• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

rogaine for 12 months post op to speed up growth?

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
hi guys read on mumerous occasions in the past and again last week that certain clinics advise the use of rogaine on the recipitent area post op for 12 months,

my question guys is why?

is there a reason why only 12 months?

does it speed up growth?

what are your thought people*nl

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure on this one,i know its suppose to help stimulate the hair to grow so the transplanted hair may grow out quicker,however it may also help any miniturised hair to grow and give your HT a more fuller look.

If you stop using the rogaine,the miniturised hairs may fall out quickly and then your HT planted area may not look as good.

c;;9

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
yup thats what i thought too dude*nl

janna

janna

Valuable Member
We always recommended the use of Rogaine if they wanted to "jump start" the growth of their newly transplanted grafts for 2-3 months post op but have since changed the recommendation to use in conjunction with Propecia for as long as they wanted to keep their native hairs (basically for life).

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Bigmac wrote:
Not sure on this one,i know its suppose to help stimulate the hair to grow so the transplanted hair may grow out quicker,however it may also help any miniturised hair to grow and give your HT a more fuller look.

If you stop using the rogaine,the miniturised hairs may fall out quickly and then your HT planted area may not look as good.

c;;9
I believe it's suppose to stimulate the blood supply to the follicles. Yea, if you stop applying it, the new growth will fall out.

E

El Nino

Valued member
I used Rogaine Foam post op and I believe it did help my HT grow in quicker.

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Im thinking of throwing the foam on the top of my scalp too, but I'm concerned that if I stop using it, it might make my native hair fall out faster. Intuitively it just seems that if you put your native hair through this cycle, then quit after your ht grows in it *might* be harsh on it?

I don't know, I'm going to email H&W tom and ask them what they think. Ill let you know what they say. Hasson told me he thought it *probably does* speed up growth of the transplanted hairs, but I didn't ask about potential problems of short term use.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Be good hear Dr Hassons opinion on this as it seems to be a bit of a black hole with this subject.

Is it beneficial or not short term? hmmmmm.

N

NW5a

Valued member
Shedding is the biggest problem, why people stop rogaine. Its a good sign, when the hairs fall out, cause rogaine helps than. Generally i read a lot of bad experiences, cause after stopping they lost not only their new hair. The native hair can fall out also.

If u never tried rogaine before the surgery i wouldnt take it, or only 2%. You dont know, how it works on you and some people had very bad experiences with it.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
NotGoing2GoBald wrote:
Im thinking of throwing the foam on the top of my scalp too, but I'm concerned that if I stop using it, it might make my native hair fall out faster. Intuitively it just seems that if you put your native hair through this cycle, then quit after your ht grows in it *might* be harsh on it?

I don't know, I'm going to email H&W tom and ask them what they think. Ill let you know what they say. Hasson told me he thought it *probably does* speed up growth of the transplanted hairs, but I didn't ask about potential problems of short term use.
Did Dr Hasson say what he thought of this.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Bn

Did you decide to try it as i cant remember.

bm.