• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Side effects.

K

k-dog

I've been taking half 1mg of generic Finasteride for about a month now and have noticed my testicals have a slight dull ache and warm sensation. Has anyone else noticed the same feelings down below? Did they go away after a length of time or did they get worse? Thanks in advance.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve heard many reports of this, most of who I read about who stuck with it said it went away. Some people will just stop using it. I`d say it`s best to speak to your HT doctor or your GP to see what they say.

K

k-dog

I`ve heard many reports of this, most of who I read about who stuck with it said it went away. Some people will just stop using it. I`d say it`s best to speak to your HT doctor or your GP to see what they say.
Many thanks. Will contact my GP to find out.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully, your GP is fully aware of Finasteride. If they look it up while you`re sitting there then they don`t know much if anything about it. You may then have to speak with different health professionals.

K

k-dog

Hopefully, your GP is fully aware of Finasteride. If they look it up while you`re sitting there then they don`t know much if anything about it. You may then have to speak with different health professionals.
Okay thanks info.

N

nagchary43

For many men - and some women - thinning hair is a result of aging. But when is hair loss something worse? Which drugs are best for treating it?

1.Minoxidil (trade name: Rogaine): This is a treatment for androgenetic alopecia. "The exact mechanism is not known, but it is believed that this medication can stimulate the hair follicle to go into a growth cycle or stay in it longer," explains Dr. Sivamani. "Scalp irritation is a possible side effect, and in women it can cause growth in facial hair," says Dr. English, noting that androgenetic alopecia is a progressive disorder and does not go away. Rogaine can stop or delay hair loss, and can lead to a certain regrowth, but if you stop using it, the hair loss will start again.

2. Finasteride (brand name: Propecia): This FDA-approved oral medication is used to treat male pattern hair loss. It is “believed to work by blocking the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone that would normally move the hair follicle into a resting phase,” says Dr. Sivamani. So, the medication is thought to reduce the number of hair follicles that go into the resting phase. Because it blocks testosterone, common side effects include sexual issues such as erectile dysfunction, which affects an estimated 1-6% of users, according to Dr. English.

3. Steroids: If the hair loss is caused by inflammation, steroids are a treatment option. They can be injected or used topically to reduce the inflammation that leads to hair loss in alopecia areata. “Steroids can thin the skin with overuse or if injected at too high of a dose. It is important to see a board-certified dermatologist to discuss how steroids can be used appropriately during treatment,” Dr. Sivamani advises.

4. Oral supplements: Many patients also like to take oral supplements, adds Dr. English. The ones he likes best are biotin, Viviscal and BioSil, but he notes that “all the supplements on the market will not regrow, but they can make it stronger and thicker.” Regarding biotin, Dr. Sivamani explains that research has not shown it to improve hair growth in generally healthy hair, but “it has been reported to improve hair growth in those with certain genetic conditions such as ‘uncombable hair syndrome,’” in which hair is so unruly that it can’t be combed flat. “Biotin does not have many side effects, but it may not be effective if not used for the correct reason.” An upset stomach is the most common side effect of taking supplements, according to Dr. English.

If you experience troublesome side effects, stop taking the medication and see your doctor to discuss alternatives.

In addition to these more common treatments, Dr. English says that a newer treatment is low-level laser therapy, which may stimulate hair regrowth. This can be done in certain salons that offer it, or people can buy a machine and use it on their own.

Another more recent option for men is platelet-rich plasma, though it is very expensive and results have been mixed in terms of its effectiveness. This is more of a surgical procedure that some doctors and hair transplant companies offer.

It’s important to seek the advice of a dermatologist before starting a treatment regimen. In addition to the importance of finding the most effective option, thinning strands can be a sign of a bigger problem, like various medical conditions, vitamin deficiencies, excess stress or hormonal imbalance. Dr. English recommends that people with hair loss have a thorough evaluation that includes a check of their thyroid, iron, vitamin D and zinc levels.

R

Risingforehead

Every time I wake up and look at my other half my testicles have a similar dull ache too haha.

Years ago I took Spironoloctalone to help with bad acne and I had a slight testical ache at first but it soon went away after a short while.

The thought of taking an anti androgen did make me panic at first but it never really effected me in any way other than the slight ache to start with so you might be having a similar experience with the Fin.