• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

SMP by HIS HAIR 3 years on MY STORY

B

BobbyBoucher

You sound like you've a resentment towards something or someone. First of all, I don't know who 'Brentwood' are. I DO know Brandwood. I never had SMP with Brandwood but can testify that Paul does great work. Technically SMP is NOT a tattoo when looking at needle depth and type of ink used. But I won't school you on that.

I've known people with 10 year old SMP that have never been called out. Paul and others left HIS HAIR due to extremely poor management by HIS HAIR and malpractice.

I've also had 2100 FUE by Dr Feriduni which survived the laser treatment. So I have smp/FUE combo.

So overall I'm extremely happy with the outcome. It has allowed me to move on. No looking back. No resentments. I wish you the best with your goals and objectives. Keep your chin up.

Looks good now mate, but wow what a journey!

G

g3rm4nsn1p3r

No offence but this is what happens when a tattoo gets is placed on a location that sweats a lot. Your head sweats. The tattoo was done right but because of how often your head sweats, the tattoo turned greenish/blue.

There are hundreds of cases similar to this on the internet. Just requires a simple google search.

R

reddwarf

No offence but this is what happens when a tattoo gets is placed on a location that sweats a lot. Your head sweats. The tattoo was done right but because of how often your head sweats, the tattoo turned greenish/blue.

There are hundreds of cases similar to this on the internet. Just requires a simple google search.

Sweating should only be an issue for the first few weeks following SMP or a tattoo I would think. If sweating months or years down the line caused tattoos to fade and ink to change colour then athletes and gym users would have faded tattoos surely.

Bustamove your new SMP looks really good, glad your finally happy.

G

g3rm4nsn1p3r

Sweating should only be an issue for the first few weeks following SMP or a tattoo I would think. If sweating months or years down the line caused tattoos to fade and ink to change colour then athletes and gym users would have faded tattoos surely.

Bustamove your new SMP looks really good, glad your finally happy.
That's completely false and illogical assessment.

People are urged not to get tattoos on the palms, bottom of your feet, and head because that's where you sweat the most.

People don't sweat on the arms as legs as much as people sweat on the head.

quote:

Palm tattoos are not for the faint hearted! The nature of the skin on the palm of your hand means that it has faster re-growth than the rest of the body, because of this the ink in your palm tattoo is likely to fade rather quickly, and will most definitely fade quicker than other tattoos.

These palm tattoos not only fade faster but also turn a greenish/blue color because of the sweat. Your hands tough a LOT of objects causing the tattoos to develop sweat/easily fade the tattoo. Similarly, your head sweats more than any other part of your body meaning that the tattoo on the head will most likely fade just as fast as a palm tattoo if not faster.

You're argument of correlating an satellite's arm tattoo to a head tattoo is illogical and makes no sense.
OP should understand the concerns and cons of getting SMP. This cycle of having your SMP turn into a faint blue/green after a number of years will only continue. If you want SMP you're going to have to get it over and over again.

These clinics telling you that it's permanent are lying to your face. I only want OP to understand the truth because I was one who was going to get SMP done but after researching ad asking long time people who had SMP done, they all told me the same thing. The tattoo turns green/blue after a number of years and turns greenish blue. You will have to go thrugh this painful cycle of getting it done, removed, and getting it re done again every 5 or so years.

No thank you.

R

reddwarf

If this was the case that you had to get it removed then redone every 5 years the companies would have gone out of business a long time ago surely?. Why do nearly all the practitioners/companies have SMP themselves if they have to go through this painful process of remove and repeat every 5 years?
They say the ink used is different to what's used in regular tattoos and doesn't change colour, If your theory was correct there would be a lot of smurfs walking around.

N

Nattie1974

I know this is an older thread but Im female and have alopecia. I wanted smp in the thinning areas on my scalp. I had a consult at a clinic. He had smp and he showed me his results 3.5 years after his was done. It looked a greyish blue. It kinda took me by surprise, it does have a hint of blue.... not sure it looks that great so now I'm scared to have mine done. So, since peeps on here seem to know about the fade experience, would it be possible for you to send me links where I can see this smp fade we all fear? I had no idea I'd have smp laser removed completely after a few years... yikes.

J

Jax

I know this is an older thread but Im female and have alopecia. I wanted smp in the thinning areas on my scalp. I had a consult at a clinic. He had smp and he showed me his results 3.5 years after his was done. It looked a greyish blue. It kinda took me by surprise, it does have a hint of blue.... not sure it looks that great so now I'm scared to have mine done. So, since peeps on here seem to know about the fade experience, would it be possible for you to send me links where I can see this smp fade we all fear? I had no idea I'd have smp laser removed completely after a few years... yikes.

Go watch that video.

He is someone who had SMP be done, and you can see where it all ends up blurring together as the dots bleed and lose their distinction.
He has chosen to get a hair transplant to cover it.
The only other options would be to get it lasered off entirely, and hope you don't get scarring, or to get never ending top ups.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like he chose an SMP provider who wasn`t very good. Just like hair transplant clinics, skill and experience vary greatly. I see he did his research on Youtube for this hair transplant, probably did the same for an SMP clinic. It would have been better if they showed his hairline on his 14 month update video as opposed to the hair combed forward.

N

Nattie1974

Thanks for the video! That would be an awful situation to have the helmet look. Ugh. I can't imagine. Hair loss is bad enough. Do the majority of people who have smp end up doing laser at one point? there are two really good/recognized smp artist (won awards for smp) here in Canada. I've spoken to both artists, why has laser not come up in the conversation at all? that's scary. Could it be because their technique and ink are superior and it's never happened? It wouldn't be my entire head as I have hair but only on the thin/bald areas - not sure if it makes a difference? Thanks

J

Jax

Thanks for the video! That would be an awful situation to have the helmet look. Ugh. I can't imagine. Hair loss is bad enough. Do the majority of people who have smp end up doing laser at one point? there are two really good/recognized smp artist (won awards for smp) here in Canada. I've spoken to both artists, why has laser not come up in the conversation at all? that's scary. Could it be because their technique and ink are superior and it's never happened? It wouldn't be my entire head as I have hair but only on the thin/bald areas - not sure if it makes a difference? Thanks

There isn't an ink made that doesn't fade eventually... All SMP clinics have the same sales pitch. We use special ink. our method is different etc etc. At the end of the day, they are injecting ink into your skin. Over time this ink will get broken down by your body and the environment. Thus it will lose its shape, and become blurred. So eventually it rather looks very fake, needs to be re-done or people get hair-transplants to cover it up.

I think SMP can be ok if placed between hairs e.g. use on a donor site. I would never recommend SMP by itself though to create a hairline for example. You need a blend of hairs and ink to create a 3d look.

N

Nattie1974

I understand. I had high hopes for smp now I'm not sure. I'm happy I got to see an smp fade before I had it done. Like you said maybe as hair dentistry it doesn't look too bad.. Thanks a lot, I've got more thinking to do!

V

Viking

If this SMP treatment looks so bad after 5 yrs then why do most practitioners have the treatment themselves? Not buying that every treatment turns this horrible blue and then always goes blurry due to sweat. I think it's got be clinic and skill dependent, similar to the bad transplants that come from poor surgeons surely.

J

Jax

If this SMP treatment looks so bad after 5 yrs then why do most practitioners have the treatment themselves? Not buying that every treatment turns this horrible blue and then always goes blurry due to sweat. I think it's got be clinic and skill dependent, similar to the bad transplants that come from poor surgeons surely.
Why do peoples whose livelihood depend on SMP and who can get free touch up every 6 months get SMP?

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
You could compare it to women applying make up. They do it everyday to maintain their looks and the creams and lotions they use. Having your SMP topped up every so often is not a problem as long as you know it has to be maintained.
Every 6 months might be for the non permanent option, the permanent option is suppose to last year's before a top up.
I have wondered though if the skin is damaged with years of needle holes in the same location.

C

Coopman

Valued member
No such thing as permanent black in regards to ink. Depending on your body, sunlight etc the dots will fade and in some circumstances the colour could change. The elasticity of your skin changes as you age and that will have an effect on the appearance of your hair dots.
Some people may get lucky and have permanent SMP that looks great after 10 years without any touch ups or lasering. Others will need further work after 6 months. Whatever way you look at it that’s a helluva lot of researching to determine the probability risk and determine your SMP plans for the future.
Top that with having to shave your head every 24hrs or even every 12hrs so you can keep the illusion of a head of hair and avoiding in growing hairs/rashes etc due to frequent shaving that could be one stressful situation.
My advice for any young guy considering SMP is to find some people who have had SMP 5 years ago, who are in their age range, are not connected to any SMP clinics and get their experiences. A 50yo guy may not give a damn about what people think of his SMP but a younger guy will be much more self conscious about their perception from others.
Someone once said on here that bad SMP is like having a bad piss stain on your trousers, everyone will look but nobody will tell you.

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
WoW just been through your full experience and all I can say is thank you for posting here and letting members going through the forums see what you have had to go through . The main thing is you got yourself sorted out in all aspects, this must have been a mind bender be proud of yourself my friend stay positive always your a winner .

M

Murat

I had full scalp SMP by HIS HAIR in winter 2016. It seems to have turned blue/green tint after 3 years. Any advice and support would be much appreciated. Prior to this, I had 2000 FUE with Dr Feriduni however, my donor area was not sufficient enough to cover my crown and bridge.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. This has had an impact on me. Starting to think I'd rather be bald. ANY suggestions welcome.

Pics attached.
Which smp center in europe can Research and bring a fade removal soulution cream in the smp market thats fade and make 30-40% lighter the bad old botched ink. In 4 weeks then all botched scalps dont make 1 year laser removal and can Start after 4 weeks with the fixingvrepair with reight good ink.

J

JohnDoe316

That's completely false and illogical assessment.

People are urged not to get tattoos on the palms, bottom of your feet, and head because that's where you sweat the most.

People don't sweat on the arms as legs as much as people sweat on the head.

quote:

Palm tattoos are not for the faint hearted! The nature of the skin on the palm of your hand means that it has faster re-growth than the rest of the body, because of this the ink in your palm tattoo is likely to fade rather quickly, and will most definitely fade quicker than other tattoos.

These palm tattoos not only fade faster but also turn a greenish/blue color because of the sweat. Your hands tough a LOT of objects causing the tattoos to develop sweat/easily fade the tattoo. Similarly, your head sweats more than any other part of your body meaning that the tattoo on the head will most likely fade just as fast as a palm tattoo if not faster.

You're argument of correlating an satellite's arm tattoo to a head tattoo is illogical and makes no sense.
OP should understand the concerns and cons of getting SMP. This cycle of having your SMP turn into a faint blue/green after a number of years will only continue. If you want SMP you're going to have to get it over and over again.

These clinics telling you that it's permanent are lying to your face. I only want OP to understand the truth because I was one who was going to get SMP done but after researching ad asking long time people who had SMP done, they all told me the same thing. The tattoo turns green/blue after a number of years and turns greenish blue. You will have to go thrugh this painful cycle of getting it done, removed, and getting it re done again every 5 or so years.

No thank you.

The reason why normal tattoo ink changes colour is due to the complex mixture of pigments artists use create particular shades/colours, each of which fades at different rates causing the "blue/greenish effect". SMP ink is comprised mainly of a compound called carbon black, which is one pigment and will only ever fade.

The issue the OP had was the high density of dots as well as a complete mismatch of pigment to his skin-tone/natural hair.

I've had SMP for 7 years now and aside from a bit of fading, it hasn't turned into a "blueish/green hue" and it still looks natural, blending perfectly with my shaved hair. The main tell-tale sign of a SMP treatment is the highly defined hairline/sides which makes it look unnatural.

In short? You don't know what you're talking about.

R

Raybateman

I had mine since 2011 and it still looks ok I think. I believe i had someone called Damien who was quite good. Don't think he works for HIS anymore though as I was interested in getting a slight retouch and fill some of the back where i lost a bit more hair. The pic is taken with natural day light, obviously looks better in the dark but in general it looks decent I think. I have only had one person suss it out that it was a tattoo surprisingly since I had it done although I am sure now that this is a bit more common maybe people do not point it out as much.

Attachments

• PXL_20240328_134230375.jpg
    PXL_20240328_134230375.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2